Who has shot game with the Lapua match bullets

James Jones

I was wanting to try some of Lapua's 155gr Match bullet out of my 308's but wasen't to sure how they would do on game. Any of you guys shoot any deer with them , haow do they act , like the Sierra Match Kings or the Berger VLD's

i have 2 boxes of 155gr scenars waiting for a .30-06AI in (50's) care. don't know yet? anybody?

I killed a few critters with the .30 caliber 155 Scenar out of my 308 Win. I did a test on a once killed Texas wild hog for comparison between the 155 Scenar and 175SMK. I shot soft tissue only and then one round of each type through bone (pelvis and front shoulders) at fairly close range (50 or 75 yards). The hog remained dead through all bullet testing events and I could really discern no difference between the 155 Scenar and Sierra MatchKing. Both penetrated the average size critter on broadside tests with obviously expected fragmenting on the 'through-bone' shots. (The hog was originally made dead, and the lucky recepient of the .30 caliber testing, with a 300 grain .338 caliber SMK at just about 300 yards (the 300 SMK did not stop in the hog, in fact it may still be in flight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

good to know,i have 175smk to "smack" a few things with also.of course,patiently waiting...(50).....

So would you rank their expansion in the same class as the Sierra Match Kings or a little harder seeing that you were compairing the 155gr bullet probably going a bit faster to the 175gr bullet?

I would say they seem to kill with the same authority as the 175 SMK. I have not recovered a 155 Scenar but the exit wounds seem to indicate that there was expansion, fragmentation (obvious in a large bone hit) or tumbling. The exit wounds I observed were significant and not unlike those caused by the SMKs.

The 155 Scenar is basically the same shape and length as the 175 SMK, sectioning revealed to me that there is a large void under the majority of the ogive. I would tend to believe that this would cause the Scenar to collapse before opening (expanding in the classic mushroom) more so than the SMK. I may give them so more testing in a few weeks on a new set of crop damage deer...I'll post any findings. (I would use them with the same confidence I use a 175 SMK.)

Sorry I can't be more specific but I have no hard (hold in your hand) evidence as to the actual mechanism causing the (larger then entrance) exit wound(s) on non-large-bone strikes.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.