Who’s using a Kuiu pack

I have kuiu ultra 6000 and icon pro3500? there nice, really like weight, i almost always use the 3500 cause of size and pockets. I pack out 3/4 each elk and deer each season and carries meat well. I would improve a few things so its not perfect, buddy bought new one last year and they definetely updated pack in last few years and are trying to make it even better. Hope it helps.

I have run 2 of the ICON packs. A 2000 then a 3500. Both frames broke with loads coming out in 2016 and then in 2017. My buddy was running a EXO 3500 pack and never had issues. Since then I through the Kuiu pack away and bought a EXO 3500 in November of 2018. Been using it about every other weekend. OMG!!! This EXO pack is the sh t! Have put even heavier loads in the EXO with no problem.

Buy a EXO and you will be so happy for many many years.

Brian

I have the ultra 6,000, 6 years now. It's hauled half of the following; 10 elk, 12 mulies, a bear and 2 Sitka blackTail. It's also hauled a chainsaw for numerous trail-clearing trips.

I'm not very nice to it, I had anticipated having to replace the bag by now but it doesn't need it yet.

Very happy with it. I'll buy another 6,000, possibly a 7,200 bag once this one finally gives up.

I have run 2 of the ICON packs. A 2000 then a 3500. Both frames broke with loads coming out in 2016 and then in 2017. My buddy was running a EXO 3500 pack and never had issues. Since then I through the Kuiu pack away and bought a EXO 3500 in November of 2018. Been using it about every other weekend. OMG!!! This EXO pack is the sh t! Have put even heavier loads in the EXO with no problem.

Buy a EXO and you will be so happy for many many years.

Brian

The ICON packs have not been in production in several years, not sure your post/experience is relevant to the OP's question. The ICON PRO / ULTRA frame & suspensions were introduced in 2014 if I recall correctly.

I've been running the Icon Pro since they were introduced and I have been very happy with this pack. I've hauled out 3 mule deer & part of 1 elk and it has performed great. Training with weights from 40-75 lbs the pack has performed well also. As long as you get the pack adjusted correctly and it is a good fit for the individual's body, the pack will perform well.

We've been using 3 Icon Pros with the 3200 bag for Coues Deer and Elk hunting for 4 years now and they've held up really well. Coues deer hunting tends to be gear intensive and the 3200 has been a great size to fit all our stuff. The light weight of the packs is great as well.

I use an icon suspension and an Ultra 4000 (and 6000) bag. I started with an ultra suspension and while it's fine for loads in the 50 lb and less range it's miserable over that IME. The icon suspension is wayyyyyy more comfortable, especially at heavier loads.

As far as bags go, if you like open and clean bags get the ultra, if you like a lot of pockets and zippers get the icon. I like to organize my pack with dry bags and lightweight stuff sacks, so I much prefer the ultra bags. The 4000 is good for a week trip and you can make it small enough to use as a day pack. I really like the kuiu packs and have found them very durable, light, and comfortable (plus the lifetime warranty is nice if anything ever did happen).

I've been using the Ultra 6000 in Vias. I'll be using the Ultra 7000 in Verde 2.0 this year with the Apex shoulder harness. The 6000 has been good on 7 day elk trips. The 7000 has yet to be tested in the field. The added side pockets are a plus for another way to carry my rifle or tripod.

If it were me I'd pick either Kifaru or Stone Glacier over Kuiu. Kuiu may be ok for lighter loads but from the reviews I found in my research Kuiu packs just aren't designed for hefty, bulky 100+ lb loads. I do an incredible amount of packing heavy loads and it certainly is nice having a stable platform and bags that won't rip seams, straps, etc. I've put my Kifaru through gobs of Alaska, Colo, and Wyo big game trips and it's never let me down. Kifaru also has a lot of bag, pocket and pouch features that you can pretty much customize your pack for day or multi-day trips. You'll hardly find anyone that complains about Kifaru. Their belt and shoulder harness set ups are super comfortable....which is a relief when hauling hefty loads. Anyway, if you are looking for a pack that is decent for day trips Kuiu works good but if you want a pack setup for hauling I would definitely research Kifaru and Stone Glacier. There are some really good reviews and advice on packs on the Rokslide website.

First off I don't doubt that kifaru,SG & Exo are better packs under the heaviest loads, however they are all much more expensive than the kuiu packs so not exactly in the same category.

I have a icon pro 7200/apex shoulder harness & it performed flawlessly last year on a backcountry mule deer hunt in Wyoming. Imo the kuiu bags are the best as far as design & layout goes compared to the top names. I know many other guys running kuiu packs & nobody has had a problem with frames breaking or bags coming apart. The 7200 is a bit big to condense down to a daypack on a regular basis but can be done on a multi day backpack hunt just fine. An extra bag from 2200-4000 for daypack use would be optimal if the 7200 is your other bag.

Personally I think they are a great pack for the money if your not willing to drop the extra cash on a kifaru etc.

I saw a guy make multiple trips with a Kuiu Icon Pro last year in CO, and a good buddy has an Ultra. They seem to work fine for them. I've tried my buddy's vs my Kifaru though, and with weight there is no comparison in comfort IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.