Whitetail bullet

I shot a big axis doe behind the shoulder at about 50 yards with the 140gr eld-x, it came apart violently and sent some bullet jacket back through the guts (a mess), she ran about 75 yards and dropped but the bullet had fragmented into tiny pieces and went everywhere inside.

Shot an antelope with the same load out of the same rifle at 560 yards and it did the job like a magic trick. Great bullet just better suited for longer ranges in my opinion.

I have used both 120 Sierra's and 129 Hornady sst's in my 6.5x55 and both have worked wonderfully. I've shot several deer from 20 yds to 100 yds, which is about as far as I can see from any of my stands on the hunting club. Both bullets have turned innards to jelly and I have never recovered one.

I have used both 120 Sierra's and 129 Hornady sst's in my 6.5x55 and both have worked wonderfully. I've shot several deer from 20 yds to 100 yds, which is about as far as I can see from any of my stands on the hunting club. Both bullets have turned innards to jelly and I have never recovered one.

Does that mean …..you got an exit, or the bullet completely "came from untogether"?

Oh and, Welcome from North Central Wyoming! memtb

15 FEET to about 120 YARDS
Nosler Partition. It's old, ugly, heavy, and stays together pretty much no matter what.

I agree with the "anything will work" because yes, anything should hold together well enough to punch holes. But the Partition with the separated rear slug has always been my go-to for close range. I just ordered another 100 85gn 6mm partitions for my 243 Win today to shoot pigs with.

I'm not really in the "explosive" bullet group, they can work really well just not my preference. That said I do use the SST from a 30-06 - exploding in a deer will lay it down sideways in a huge hurry.