which shotgun to go with?

A lot of states, my home state of Tn. for one, don't allow shot sizes larger than #4 for turkeys.

I use fours and fives most all the time. Have never tried a duplex load as they are illeagle in most cases around here. You can reduce the felt recoil and also improve the pattern by simply lengthening the forcing cone in the barrel. Better yet is to have it back bored or simply buy one already done. Makes a huge difference. I also know a couple guys that use mercury recoil reducers in the magazine tube. Have never tried them, have heard the work pretty good.
gary

I run a Mossberg 535 with a 28" barrel, Knoxx recoil stock and super full choke. Great combo, Its never failed to kill a bird ive pulled the trigger on

I loaned mine (835) to my future son inlaw this week and between him and his two sons they taken three birds in two days. One weighed about 24lb. and the one had a ten inch beard. Dropped them like a rock! Recoil was mild enough that his ten year old ws able to handle it with a shoulder pad. Another good and often overlooked shotgun is the Browning BPS. A little more recoil from, but it's a great shooter.
gary

I have gotten 5 birds with a 20 single shot/ full choke. No sights. In 5 yrs. The rest with a Mosberg 500 12, 2 3/4 #4 at 1400 fps. I use what works for me nothing special. Why kill your shoulder with a 3" or a 3 1/2" when a 2 3/4 load will do to 40 yds.

I have gotten 5 birds with a 20 single shot/ full choke. No sights. In 5 yrs. The rest with a Mosberg 500 12, 2 3/4 #4 at 1400 fps. I use what works for me nothing special. Why kill your shoulder with a 3" or a 3 1/2" when a 2 3/4 load will do to 40 yds.

my 835 is one of the first year production guns they made. The metal is hard anodized in camo. It had been in the rack at the local gunshop for months with everybody wanting Remington 1100's and 870's. I looked it over and bought it. Recoil with that back bored barrel and a 3" mag is about the same as a
2 3/4" Win. XX mag. The 3 1/2" rounds are similar to a 3" mag round in recoil. About the time I bought the gun I came into about fifty Active 3 1/2" turkey rounds, and the recoil was even milder than the XX mags in 3" thru the gun. Plus they patterned very well. Have not tried to reload them yet, but hung onto the hulls.

If recoil is a big factor with you, then buy a mercury recoil reduce that fits inside the magazine. They really do work well. Plus they take the place of the magazine plug that so many states require
gary

my 835 is one of the first year production guns they made. The metal is hard anodized in camo. It had been in the rack at the local gunshop for months with everybody wanting Remington 1100's and 870's. I looked it over and bought it. Recoil with that back bored barrel and a 3" mag is about the same as a
2 3/4" Win. XX mag. The 3 1/2" rounds are similar to a 3" mag round in recoil. About the time I bought the gun I came into about fifty Active 3 1/2" turkey rounds, and the recoil was even milder than the XX mags in 3" thru the gun. Plus they patterned very well. Have not tried to reload them yet, but hung onto the hulls.

If recoil is a big factor with you, then buy a mercury recoil reduce that fits inside the magazine. They really do work well. Plus they take the place of the magazine plug that so many states require
gary
I have shoulder problems now which sucks. But what I was also trying to say is that for the people out there on a low budget can allways find a cheaper shot gun that will allways do what you need it to do. I bought my 500 for $235 new with 2 barrels and 3 chokes. I have found in loading that pattern and velosity make up for alot of lead. My wife uses a 1100 in 20 ga and has allways gotten her birds with 1 shot, even 2 birds with 1 shot, go figure. the 3 in and 3.5 in shells to load are basicaly the same as 2.75. Good luck this yr go get em.:)

I currently own four 870's, three 12 gauges and one 20 ga. You really can't go wrong with them. I've killed a ton of turkeys and never had a problem with any of them. They're not too heavy or bulky to haul around through any terrain. If I were getting one today to cover your described range of uses, I'd pick the 870 Express Super Mag Turkey/Waterfowl model, #81125. It has a 26" barrel and comes with an extended turkey choke and waterfowl chokes. 26" is the most versatile barrel length you can get. It's not too long to be maneuverable for turkey hunts, but long enough for waterfowl, upland game, skeet etc. where you want more balance, you'd never get with a short-barreled turkey gun. If you ever want an extra barrel, Remingtons are easiest and least $ to find, even in the aftermarket. Same for choke tubes. I have 21", 26" and 28" as well as slug barrels for all my 12 gauges.

I've shot 3 1/2" 2 1/4 oz turkey loads. They produce recoil energy a few lbs. in excess of both the .458 Lott and .500 Nitro Express rifle recoils. I've never needed a 3 1/2" load to kill a turkey. I've killed most with 3" #5 lead, 2 oz. Federals and Winchesters. I also like #4's in these too. 3" Hevi 13's in #5's are devastating to turkeys out to 60 yds, and a lot of people like new Hevi-shot Magnum Blends 2 oz. for even better patterns at 1200 fps. I'll be trying some in a couple of weeks. The 3" turkey loads only kick a little more than a .416 Rigby., but I've never even noticed the recoil when I've shot a bird. LOL! .300 Win Mag has less than half the recoil energy of the 3" 12 gauge turkey load.

I've shot a lot of turkey guns and can't say I've ever tried one I like better than 870's. I'm not a big auto guy. I like the control of jam-free, lighter to carry, pumps.

Browning BPS's are heavier and pricier, but beautifully designed guns. If you've got the cash for it, go ahead and get the matte finished, dark satin checkered Walnut! (No reason to put synthetic camo on a work of art.) Novas and Super Novas would be high on my list, but their forearms can rattle a good bit, whenever the gun is moved to aim. I think they must have been designed by a waterfowl hunter, who wasn't thinking about bionic turkey ears. I like the 870's because the forearm is locked solidly, with no rattle, when the gun is cocked. Mossbergs rattle some too. I'd think there's nothing like having a gobbler slip in to 35 yards on a quiet spring morning, only to spook at the sound of a rattling forearm, as you carefully try to take aim.

That's my $.02.

Good luck.

I currently own four 870's, three 12 gauges and one 20 ga. You really can't go wrong with them. I've killed a ton of turkeys and never had a problem with any of them. They're not too heavy or bulky to haul around through any terrain. If I were getting one today to cover your described range of uses, I'd pick the 870 Express Super Mag Turkey/Waterfowl model, #81125. It has a 26" barrel and comes with an extended turkey choke and waterfowl chokes. 26" is the most versatile barrel length you can get. It's not too long to be maneuverable for turkey hunts, but long enough for waterfowl, upland game, skeet etc. where you want more balance, you'd never get with a short-barreled turkey gun. If you ever want an extra barrel, Remingtons are easiest and least $ to find, even in the aftermarket. Same for choke tubes. I have 21", 26" and 28" as well as slug barrels for all my 12 gauges.

I've shot 3 1/2" 2 1/4 oz turkey loads. They produce recoil energy a few lbs. in excess of both the .458 Lott and .500 Nitro Express rifle recoils. I've never needed a 3 1/2" load to kill a turkey. I've killed most with 3" #5 lead, 2 oz. Federals and Winchesters. I also like #4's in these too. 3" Hevi 13's in #5's are devastating to turkeys out to 60 yds, and a lot of people like new Hevi-shot Magnum Blends 2 oz. for even better patterns at 1200 fps. I'll be trying some in a couple of weeks. The 3" turkey loads only kick a little more than a .416 Rigby., but I've never even noticed the recoil when I've shot a bird. LOL! .300 Win Mag has less than half the recoil energy of the 3" 12 gauge turkey load.

I've shot a lot of turkey guns and can't say I've ever tried one I like better than 870's. I'm not a big auto guy. I like the control of jam-free, lighter to carry, pumps.

Browning BPS's are heavier and pricier, but beautifully designed guns. If you've got the cash for it, go ahead and get the matte finished, dark satin checkered Walnut! (No reason to put synthetic camo on a work of art.) Novas and Super Novas would be high on my list, but their forearms can rattle a good bit, whenever the gun is moved to aim. I think they must have been designed by a waterfowl hunter, who wasn't thinking about bionic turkey ears. I like the 870's because the forearm is locked solidly, with no rattle, when the gun is cocked. Mossbergs rattle some too. I'd think there's nothing like having a gobbler slip in to 35 yards on a quiet spring morning, only to spook at the sound of a rattling forearm, as you carefully try to take aim.

That's my $.02.

Good luck.

I've owned more than a couple 870's in the past, but now my favorite bird gun (pump) is the BPS. Mine has the English stock, and swings pretty good, but not like a side by side with the splinter forend. The 835 is a dedicated turkey gun, and the recoil is noticably milder than any 870 I've shot. I'd put it right at a .444 Marlin with a 300 grain bullet. Much much milder than the .450 Marlin.
gary

Benllie SBE2 promos full choke Winchester 31/2 #5 deadly combo shot several out to 50 yards but like them closer

I patterned or attempted to pattern my recently purchased 870 with 3.5" chamber. What a mistake. I never imagined it would be that bad(recoil). I will just take my bow it don't kick. I should have bought an automatic.

I patterned or attempted to pattern my recently purchased 870 with 3.5" chamber. What a mistake. I never imagined it would be that bad(recoil). I will just take my bow it don't kick. I should have bought an automatic.

I'd send the barrel to NuLine Guns and have it backbored. Really makes a difference in recoil, plus they tend to pattern better
gary

Also you don't need 3.5" shells to kill turkeys just fine. Some 3" loads actually pattern better, depending on gun/choke, and their felt recoil is noticeably much less than 3.5"s. I'd only use 3.5"s for mid to long range waterfowl. They don't kick nearly like the turkey loads due to lower shot weights. You might also check out Hevi-shot 2 3/4" loads. Some people are getting great patterns with them and with far less recoil. ...But even most 20 gauge turkey loads (with 1/2 the recoil of 3" 12 GA) kick a little harder than your average .300 WM rifle round, especially considering the 20's are usually lighter weight guns.

I still love my 870's! They're lighter to carry, especially on mountain turkey hunts where I easily walk and climb 10-12 miles some days. I've never felt any recoil when I've shot a turkey. I usually don't even recall hearing my own shot... LOL!

Also you don't need 3.5" shells to kill turkeys just fine. Some 3" loads actually pattern better, depending on gun/choke, and their felt recoil is noticeably much less than 3.5"s. I'd only use 3.5"s for mid to long range waterfowl. They don't kick nearly like the turkey loads due to lower shot weights. You might also check out Hevi-shot 2 3/4" loads. Some people are getting great patterns with them and with far less recoil. ...But even most 20 gauge turkey loads (with 1/2 the recoil of 3" 12 GA) kick a little harder than your average .300 WM rifle round, especially considering the 20's are usually lighter weight guns.

I still love my 870's! They're lighter to carry, especially on mountain turkey hunts where I easily walk and climb 10-12 miles some days. I've never felt any recoil when I've shot a turkey. I usually don't even recall hearing my own shot... LOL!

a lot of how a shotgun patterns is the way the barrel and chokes are cut (there are two chokes). Just lengthening the forcing cone often makes a major improvement plus reduces the recoil. A back bored barrel has no forcing cone in it, and the only choke is at the end of the barrel. If the barrel is very tight, it cases the shot to beat itself out of round as it travels thru the barrel. Thus spreading the pattern. No choke will ever fix that problem.
gary

a lot of how a shotgun patterns is the way the barrel and chokes are cut (there are two chokes). Just lengthening the forcing cone often makes a major improvement plus reduces the recoil. A back bored barrel has no forcing cone in it, and the only choke is at the end of the barrel. If the barrel is very tight, it cases the shot to beat itself out of round as it travels thru the barrel. Thus spreading the pattern. No choke will ever fix that problem.
gary

So if Standbanger got his 870 barrel back bored and only shot 3" shells, it would probably pattern better with much more tolerable recoil. He could still kill more turkeys than he will be able to with a bow. Although I do truly love to bowhunt turkeys too. When I'm so busy working that I don't have the time to devote to bowhunting turkeys, it's sure nice to be able take an 870 into the woods.

So if Standbanger got his 870 barrel back bored and only shot 3" shells, it would probably pattern better with much more tolerable recoil. He could still kill more turkeys than he will be able to with a bow. Although I do truly love to bowhunt turkeys too. When I'm so busy working that I don't have the time to devote to bowhunting turkeys, it's sure nice to be able take an 870 into the woods.

all I'm saying is that a backbored shotgun barrel has about a 20% reduction in recoil and patterns better. Nothing new as trap and skeet shooters have been doing this for years. Prior to that guys would experiment by lengthening the forcing cone to reduce recoil and make the gun pattern better.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.