which scope to choose

dtspec

I' building a Remington 700 lr in 300 win mag. it will be used for deer and bear. I hunt a heavy swamp with close shots but we also have a gas line a mile long. I will be shooting from 30 to 500 yards. I'm willing to spend 1,ooo plus. its the up close and the 300 yard plus shots that concern me. trying to find a scope to do both.

The VX-6 4-24x52 is the scope that does it all for me the very best in that price range.

The 3-18x52 would be a close second.

If you're willing to spend just a bit more and want one that's just tough as nails the IOR 4-14x50 fits in very well.

One thing I learned quick in Africa is that you can have way too much scope for the close stuff. I had a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 on the 300wm and at less than 80 yards it was just way too much magnification on the low end.

For the money, the VX-6 is really tough to beat.

Last edited:
The longer I hunt, the more often I carry scopes leaning towards less magnification. My absolute favorite size is the 2.5-10 range. smaller scope, more FOV and usually cheaper. I can count on one hand the amount of shots over 500 yards I have had at game. All 21 digits cant account for all the game up close.
10x is plenty for most peoples eyes, I have shot to 900 with 10x on coyotes and it is sufficient. If you want to go that far often go with more X's. Over 1000-1100 I like 20x and over.
Of course now days with the huge mag range optics you can have the best of both worlds, but you gotta pay!

The longer I hunt, the more often I carry scopes leaning towards less magnification. My absolute favorite size is the 2.5-10 range. smaller scope, more FOV and usually cheaper. I can count on one hand the amount of shots over 500 yards I have had at game. All 21 digits cant account for all the game up close.
10x is plenty for most peoples eyes, I have shot to 900 with 10x on coyotes and it is sufficient. If you want to go that far often go with more X's. Over 1000-1100 I like 20x and over.
Of course now days with the huge mag range optics you can have the best of both worlds, but you gotta pay!
There's a lot of truth here. The reason I lean towards the 4-24 is that it eliminates the need for carrying a spotter to the field in addition to the rest of the gear i'm packing around and the older I get the less I want to carry.

There are several good scopes on the market. depending on what/where you are hunting is important (out west wide open vs dense east Tennessee hardwoods). 10x is more than plenty and a variable that goes down to 3 or 4 is best for dense woods.

imo for hunting, I would suggest something with a fixed parallax. while parallax adjust is great for the range, fiddling with parallax setting to get it in focus when trying to shoot quickly isn't ideal.

imo for hunting, I would suggest something with a fixed parallax. while parallax adjust is great for the range, fiddling with parallax setting to get it in focus when trying to shoot quickly isn't ideal.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I do like my Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 for nearly everything. And they are good glass for about $250 with that amazing forever warranty.

Leupold VX 6, 3-18, with TMOA reticle. Emphasis on finding a reticle you like.

Another vote for the VX6 3-18x50 w/ TMOA. That's what I've got mounted on top of my 338 RUM and I am really happy with it. Tracks great and has excellent glass. I did not think I would use the low 3x setting, but after shooting two elk this year at very close range with the scope set at 3x, I'm really glad I had it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.