Which rifle

jbo829

Have the option at buying a donor rifle never had a Winchester but I think they are a good deal

winchester model 70 shadow 7wsm with a leupold vx1 for 450

Winchester model 70 ss 300 win mag with boss system 400

cant really decide if I want a long action or short action build but which one would be the better option

What do you want to use the rifle for primarily?

I picked up an M70 Shadow in 7WSM when they first came out back in....2003/4? Looks and feels rather cheap but it is a shooter! It could use a better replacement stock and I put the MCarbo spring kit in it a few years ago which did wonders for the trigger. If it's like mine and the few others I've come across over the years, that rifle would be best shooting 150-168 bullets, should get you 2900-3100fps and is capable of half MOA or better (assuming it's not shot out). WSM is also more niche' but not a problem if you reload.

300 Win Mag is a classic, works on anything and is on the shelves everywhere.

Like Silverbullet said, what is the purpose of this rifle, how far will you be shooting?

Both cartridges will work great for most game but you mentioned "donor", so what cartridge do you want?

A short action cartridge? A short magnum or long Magnum? Pick your poison and go from there.

Me personally the long action, already a magnum bolt face and can run both short or long magnums. This also leaves room for the heavier bullets for a 7mm Sherman Max.

Missed the "donor" part so if parting them out and only really looking at short vs long action, that changes things a bit.

It could be used for deer out to 700 for the time being until I decide what to build they both look to be in great shape the stock on the wsm seems very flimsy but that's a simple fix

I'm a big 7 fan already have a 28 Nosler a 280 Remington a 7x57 Mauser so there is no 7mm I could have to fill the gaps I've never had a .308 caliber cartridge so something like that might catch my eye

I agree with holycity73 but you already have a long action magnum (28 nos) and a standard long action (7x57). I'd go with the short action magnum and build a 300wsm as you stated you don't have a 30 cal and that always gives you an action you don't currently have for something else later down the road once the barrel is worn.

I don't see the benefits with none long actions.
With a long action you never have to worry about coal whenever you load your amo or select a new cartridge.
I think a 7mm will do almost the same as a 30 caliber rifle, but with less recoil, but are there any caliber than the .308 with that amount of bullet selection?
Any other case than 375h&h derivatives that has more wildcats and factory chambrings? I would go for the 300wm simply because of this if price was the same.

@elkaholic correct me if I'm wrong, but if the OP is looking at a 308 cal then the 300 Sherman is a great option on the long action, correct? Or a 7SS or 7 Sherman Max if he rather get another 7.
Yes it is. I was responding more to his "gap" in 7 mm cartridges statement.
On the long action with a mag bolt face, the 30 SM is very hard to beat!
Also, rumor has it there may be head stamped brass before long

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.