Which reloading manual?

cheddar

The only local place around me to stock these is Gander. I went there and they had 2. Neither looked great but the Nosler manual was ok. From experience, what have you guys found most useful to an entry level reloader?

If anyone has anything they want to sell let me know. I have to start reading asap!

BTW: caliber is .223 if it matters.

I've got a Hornady, Speer, and Nosler. I tend to use the Hornady and Nosler the most, but thats because I shoot mainly those two bullets. The Speer came with my Rockchucker kit and seldom gets used, but every once in a while it's nice to have around. All three have good introductory sections at the begining.

Chris

If I were limited to only 1 it would be the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th edition. It's the most comprehensive regarding powders and bullets used.

I have Hornady's 7th adition sierras 5th adition speer and noslers I like Hornady's reading material the best then sierra . If I were just starting out I would go with hornady's book . just my opinion.

Bigbuck

I have Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, Nosler, and a book called "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" by M.L. McPherson. I use them all, of all the introductory sections that should be a must read by all beginners, the book by M.L. McPherson is the most complete. It's first 80 pages are a good introduction to reloading. Here is the table of contents

Introduction 6
1) Case Inspection 8
2) Case Preparation 11
3) Case Sorting 18
4) Case maintenance 22
5) Boxer Primers 28
6) Smokeless Powders 33
7) Bullet Types and Performance 50
8) Seating bullets 60
9) Internal Ballistics 66
10) External Ballistics 72
11) Bullet Making 75
12) Reloading presses 80

The book is 352 pages and is filled with reloading data after the introdution.
The reloading data is a compilation of the different powder companies.
I looked it up on Amazon and they now want nearly $100 for the book! I paid $21 several years ago.

Even though I have several reloading manuals, I use the internet's load data (powder manufacturers) and my version of Quickload as my main source of loads.

I've seen older reloading manuals for cheap at used book stores, since the processes have not changed and the powder/bullet manufacturers have so much online data, I'd recommend looking at used book stores and reading the intro's to reloading from as many books as possible.

AJ

Last edited:
+1 AJ. Even if I have many manuals, some 40 years old, I use internet data and particularly Quickload almost exclusively.

Who has the "best" manual (press, dies, 'scope, rifle, handgun, brass, primer, etc, etc.) is a recurring question. None of those questions have any better anwers than is it better to have a car or pickup, a boat or camper, a Ford or Chevy. Meaning, personal tastes aside, they are all good. Each one has streigths and weaknesses but all give good value for the price.

In over 40 years of reloading I've collected a 3 foot shelf full of loading manuals from every source, and another shelf full of books about reloading. All of them are good but none covers it all so I get something out of each. I'm not totally commited to any one of them and I re-read the best - to me - from time to time (working thought PO Ackley's Handbooks again now). So, get what ever, it will do you good. You WILL get others later anyway, so no matter what you get first won't be a mistake.

That said, my suggestion to any newbie is get the Lyman Reloading Handbook first, if that's practical. It has perhaps the best, I mean the most well written and clearly illustrated beginners information AND a lot of extra advanced stuff that's really good for old hands too. Lyman's loading data is extensive, includes pressures, a few tips on each cartridge and suggests potential best accuracy loads. They cover a wide range of bullets and powders without limiting themselves to selling anyones components. What's not to love?

Perhaps the second most comprehensive is a Hogedon or Lee.

Lee's book is often disparaged because it's a compliation of data from component makers. I say, so what, if you don't have all those manufacoror's pamphlets it sure provides a lot of info in one place and the price is, as usual with Lee, modest so you get more than you pay for.

There is no justification - other than personal interest and desire - to purchasing a maual from a specific bullet maker in an effort to get "special" info. Reloading data for any bullet diameter and weight (for very near weights, such as 160 vs. 163 gr .30 cal, or 52 vs 53 gr .22 cal. bullets, just consider them the same) can all be considered as valid generic starting and max levels. The ONE rule of "start low and only work up if you see no over-pressure signs" takes care of the largely trivial variations in bullets, powder lots, cases, primers, etc.

Last edited:
Alot of great info guys! I will be trying to find the Lyman book. It sems everyone agrees it has a ton of great infor for a beginner.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.