which one of these spotters would you pick??

Elkwonder

I want ONE spotter to do it all. I will be using it to backpack in, look from the truck, you name it. Only got money for one, so I want it to be a good one. Anyways, if these were your two options, which would you go with and why? Thank you for your input

Kowa TSN 773 Promar (NEW)
right at 60 OZ with 25-60 eye piece
price $2100

Leica Televid APO 65 (NEW)
right at 55 OZ with 25-60 eye piece
price $2400

The Kowa is fine glass, but isn't in the same league.
I've had them all, many Swaro HD's, atx, etc. and my favorite and current glass is the Leica 65 mm apo...best glass on Earth for the size. Nothing compares edge to edge. The Swaro is excellent, but doesn't carry distortion free clean to the edges as perfectly as the Leica. I want to own the Swaro with their great customer service, but the truth is the glass isn't as fine. And to me it is all about the VERY BEST.

There are spendy, that's the rub. Buy once cry once.

ya the kowa was nice but felt cheaply made imo. but i still dont think ud be dispounted with kowa as the price is cheap but for me is go with leica.

The Kowa is fine glass, but isn't in the same league.
I've had them all, many Swaro HD's, atx, etc. and my favorite and current glass is the Leica 65 mm apo...best glass on Earth for the size. Nothing compares edge to edge. The Swaro is excellent, but doesn't carry distortion free clean to the edges as perfectly as the Leica. I want to own the Swaro with their great customer service, but the truth is the glass isn't as fine. And to me it is all about the VERY BEST.

There are spendy, that's the rub. Buy once cry once.

Dont slap me... Have you ever tried the Nikon EDG Feildscope??

Thanks

David

Dont slap me... Have you ever tried the Nikon EDG Feildscope??

Thanks

David
No slap, great question...and yep, excellent glass...oft-forgotten, but quite honestly right there with the big three. I thought the Nikon had a bit of a green hue with its view compared to others, but the edge to edge was stunning.
The only drawback was the weight, Nikon's premium line is heavy.

I've got photos in my optics album comparing EDG, SWARO, ZEISS and LEICA all at the same time.

Some guys gamble, some guys, drink; I enjoy fine glass. :)

No slap, great question...and yep, excellent glass...oft-forgotten, but quite honestly right there with the big three. I thought the Nikon had a bit of a green hue with its view compared to others, but the edge to edge was stunning.
The only drawback was the weight, Nikon's premium line is heavy.

I've got photos in my optics album comparing EDG, SWARO, ZEISS and LEICA all at the same time.

Some guys gamble, some guys, drink; I enjoy fine glass. :)

Thanks for the reply. They also cost a lot. Would you say the Lieca is still better?

Thanks

David

Go look at cabelas Euro made by meopta some great glass. They also make it for nightforce and of course there own brand.you won't be disappointed

correct me if Im wrong, but I believe the Meopta and Cabelas spotters only come in 82mm and not 65.

corect on that but the weight is 67 oz.and worth every ounce.if you want a do it all that is the 1 i would go with.just my 2 cents so you know what its worth!!!

corect on that but the weight is 67 oz.and worth every ounce.if you want a do it all that is the 1 i would go with.just my 2 cents so you know what its worth!!!

MAN......thanks for the heads up. I just called Meopta today and set up an account with them just in case! Talk about super friendly people to deal with on top of a GREAT military discount!!
with the military discount, I can get the Meopta meostar S2 82MM HD spotter with eye piece as well as a set of Meopta meostar HD 10x42's AND a set of Meopta Meostar HD 15x56 binocs for less money than just a set of swarovski SLC 10x42 and the ats 65 spotter......:D
Kinda crazy.......cause I really like the idea of getting a set of the 15x56 binocs for glassing the badlands.

Everything I have read says that the Meopta is rights up there with the slc anyways. I may order a pair of the binocs just to see how the glass looks to my eyes.....

Meopta is decent glass, but you get what you pay for, and that isn't even accounting for resale.
And lugging those optics anywhere is gonna be a b^tch.

Best of luck with your choice.....

most definitely have NOT ruled out the lecia......just still shopping around. Cant seem to find a very good deal on the lecia anywhere yet. Im still looking though.....

May just have to find the 65mm televideo used somewhere.....

Well, finding a used 65 Leica with eyepiece is gonna be tough.
At the very least opt for an HD 65 Swarovski, you'll thank me later.
Either way, enjoy the process! Glass if fun whatever the choice, lots of fine glass out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.