Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Tikka T3

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Which new rifle? POLL Browning L.R. Hunter

For $1,300. you can get a Browning Long Range Hunter in .300 Win mag.
Fluted barrel, 3 lug bolt, unique magazine/floorplate design, Carbon fiber or Realtree camo stock. Garanteed one MOA.

This is a very high quality rifle worthy of a good long range scope with a mil reticle (not a BDC reticle!).

I had an x-bolt which I actually did like and did not know this long range hunter model existed. It does look really nice. I still think I like the remington and savage for the simple reason of "IF" I would want/need to get any kind of after market support it would be much easier with those than the browning. I will read in to it though and see if any of the shops have a model I can see in person. Thank you!

I don't think you can go wrong with either of the Remingtons. Having had good success with both, I have leaned towards the 5R largely because I have seen a noticable difference in the very high volume of shots that I have put through mine(200+) without any change in POI or precision, even when hot. The 5R barrel also cleans very fast. Perhaps this may have been the rationale for its use by the military.

I voted for either one of the Rem Sendero's. If I was looking for an off-the-shelf rifle that's what I'd go for.

By buying a Sendero you'll have a great receiver, a potentially great barrel, a good trigger (ready to tune!) and a great stock. Choose whatever chambering is your preference (based on availability) and shoot it until the barrel is worn out.

Then re-barrel/true the receiver and you're GTG again. Pretty simple formula.

As noted multiple times, after-market options are readily available. The Remington 700 user base is the uncontested leader in bolt rifles (as regards sheer volume of users) so there is a *huge* availability of information for whatever you'd like to do with your rifle.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of the Remingtons. Having had good success with both, I have leaned towards the 5R largely because I have seen a noticable difference in the very high volume of shots that I have put through mine(200+) without any change in POI or precision, even when hot. The 5R barrel also cleans very fast. Perhaps this may have been the rationale for its use by the military.

I was leaning towards the sendero sf II due to the 26 inch vs 24 inch barrel and I like the looks of the fluting. Are the stocks the same between the sendero and 5r? I dont see myself shooting out the barrel anytime soon. This will strictly be a hunting rifle out to 500 yards for now. Only shots at the range will be working up a load and then every year to smake sure it is sighted in. So figure 20-50 shots to work up a decent load and sight it in. Then maybe 10 shots a year after that to sight in and hunt.

I was leaning towards the sendero sf II due to the 26 inch vs 24 inch barrel and I like the looks of the fluting. Are the stocks the same between the sendero and 5r? I dont see myself shooting out the barrel anytime soon. This will strictly be a hunting rifle out to 500 yards for now. Only shots at the range will be working up a load and then every year to smake sure it is sighted in. So figure 20-50 shots to work up a decent load and sight it in. Then maybe 10 shots a year after that to sight in and hunt.

I think for what you are planning either model would suit your needs well. Both have HS precision aluminum bedding block stocks.

Both the Sendero SFII and 5R MilSpec use the same HS Precision stocks. The only difference is, the Sendero is black w/ gray web finish, and the 5R is green w/ black web. The colors of the stock are the only difference.

Now, the Sendero is a 26" standard 6-groove rifled barrel, and the 5R is a (up to) 26" 5R rifled barrel. Personally, my Sendero barrels all clean up just as nice as my 5R barrel, however, the 5R barrel is so smooth when running a patch and brush down the bore. You just have to clean one side-by-side to see what I mean. It barely holds any copper fouling, and takes no time to clean up. Don't get me wrong, the Sendero barrels are finished-out very nicely and lapped smooth, and are very nice as well. You cannot go wrong with either one.

In my opinion and after over a decade of owning Senderos, I can tell you that if Remington would use stainless-fluted 5R barresl in their Senderos, those guns would be unstoppable, and would be the #1 out of the box rifle ever manufactured.

I would say 50-100 shots to work up a really good load, honestly, unless you just luck-out and happen to nail it in the first 20-50. Ladder testing takes a while, plus you have to figure in 50 of those shots to be break-in rounds.

If you're only shooting out to 500, have you considered the 7mm RemMag. It's a hell of a caliber and can do anything the .300WM can do. Ballistically they are so similar it has spawned many many arguements, even here on the board.

If you only plan on shooting 10 rds a year after sight-in, then it would last forever.

Im a Weatherby fan so for 1000 bucks i would go with a weatherby Vanguard s2 RC

Love Vanguards my new s2 backcountry in 270win shoots sub half minute all day and 4 inch groups at 600 yrds. my old s1 still shoots .75 - 1.00 minute any day

so maybe give weatherby a try i guarantee you won regret it

for the range you want to shoot with a 300 win mag i would not want all that weight

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.