Which Colorado unit for trophy elk

If you are going to pay for a guided hunt with private access, unit 40 would be on my list. Big bulls that love to hang out on private.

Preference point issue showing it is going to take 30 PP's for non res. and 25 for res. That's the ML season. The rifle is showing 26 for res. and 31 for non.
That is the bad about 201. You may never catch up in the preference point game. It probably is the premier unit for Colo.
Point creep is a real thing.

Liddy

Spent the month of September in 2 last year, some incredible bulls there. Problem is, you will never catch up to the point creep there. Saw the NR archery tag holder take a 395" out of the unit.

Spent the month of September in 2 last year, some incredible bulls there. Problem is, you will never catch up to the point creep there. Saw the NR archery tag holder take a 395" out of the unit.
Unit 40?

I would say 350 in 40 on private may be possible but you are going to have your work cut out for you. Hunting public land in 40 limits you to a lot less land and bulls so you likely won't be able to be very selective.

If you do an incredible amount of scouting you may have a better chance at 350+ in 2 or 10 but it won't be easy! There are so many factors that go into a hunt. You better be super good at field judging and be willing to pass up smaller bulls and go home empty if 350+ is your goal. A lot of hunters somewhat panic after waiting so many years for tags. There are so many factors that go into a hunt. A guided hunt on private land with an outfitter could be a great option for those that don't have a lot of time to devote to scouting and may not be efficient at field judging bulls. I would make sure you have lots and lots of time to scout and hunt the entire season if you decide to go unguided.

I would say 350 in 40 on private may be possible but you are going to have your work cut out for you. Hunting public land in 40 limits you to a lot less land and bulls so you likely won't be able to be very selective.

If you do an incredible amount of scouting you may have a better chance at 350+ in 2 or 10 but it won't be easy! There are so many factors that go into a hunt. You better be super good at field judging and be willing to pass up smaller bulls and go home empty if 350+ is your goal. A lot of hunters somewhat panic after waiting so many years for tags. There are so many factors that go into a hunt. A guided hunt on private land with an outfitter could be a great option for those that don't have a lot of time to devote to scouting and may not be efficient at field judging bulls. I would make sure you have lots and lots of time to scout and hunt the entire season if you decide to go unguided.
At my age, I'll probably be looking for a guide.

A good number of the "trophy" areas in CO. are normally booked out two years with reputable guides. Just something to keep in mind.

Go some where else like NM, or AZ. Colorado is anti 2nd amendment they are doing an anti gun owners bill that includes any thin black including Pistols. I am moving out to AZ. Maybe WY. Don't spend your money here. This to only way run the hoplafobes out of Colorado. Boycot Colorado!