Which Caliber?

Kmccord

I have a Winchester M70 Lightweight Carbine I purchased when I was 18, that was 24yrs ago. I am looking to re-barrel this rifle, I was thinking about sending it to Hart Barrels and have them put a new barrel on it. That had me thinking about changing caliber as well, with the M70 receiver, what would you guys recommend? I had thought about a 6.5-284, what would work for that receiver? I reload my own ammo, but I don't want to make my own brass, I would like to stay with something that is readily available on the market. I do not have a 30 caliber in my arsenal and do not have a 6.5 in my arsenal. Any thoughts out there that I could use with the receiver?

Thanks.

Seeing in your profile your from Texas, a 6.5x284 with a 7 or 7.5 twist to shoot the 156 Berger would be my choice. A 156 @2950-3000 fps would definitely take down anything Texas has to offer, and with exceptional ballistics. If you travel to hunt, it would be sufficient for elk as well, that is essentially 30-06 performance, I killed quite a few elk with a 30-06 and 150's or 165's, the 156 would be similar energy but with better sectional density and much better bc and energy at farther ranges compared to the 30-06 in the same weight.

Now, if your primarily wanting a rifle for larger game, I would look at the 30 cal, the only speed bump is the bolt face. Unless you go with something like the 300 Sherman (a necked up and improved by fireforming 270, you do already have brass.....) it would be better suited to go with a magnum bolt face 30 cal, such as a 300 win mag, which is doable, but then mag space may be an issue, I'm not sure what you have for magazine OAL. However if you did go with a 300 Sherman, all you do is neck up your .270 brass to 338, use the Sherman die to neck back down to 30 cal to make a false shoulder, then load and shoot it, and you have brass that you can load and shoot 215 grain bullets at 2900-3000 fps depending on barrel length. The downside is no factory available ammo, and a little more effort to make brass, but it's not bad, just means more shooting!!! Also you will never run out of .270 brass and 30 cal bullets.

But if you really don't want to form brass, that is a no go. A 30-06 is about the best performance you will get in a 30 cal without opening the bolt face, if bolt face is opened for a magnum 30 cal that means 300 prc, 300 wm, 30 nosler, and maybe a couple others could be decent options, just consider mag length. A 6.5x284 would be the easiest caliber change to get stellar performance from a 6.5 that would have readily available components and loaded ammo if needed. No concern on mag length.

I agree with Cody, there's a lot of options out there with the 300 or 280 sherman being too of the heap for a standard action.

The 6.5's such as the 284, prc and sherman would all be great choices.

If you're a one gun kind of guy I'd lean toward the 300 or 280 sherman as they'll pack a little more punch if you intend to head west one day.

6.5x55AI or 260AI would be where I'd go if you want 6.5mm laser beams. >3000fps with 140 class bullets. The Ackley treatment isn't meant to gain speed so much as to extend brass and throat life but throat it a little long and you get a bunch of powder space back which can bump speeds a bit, just not much.

Yes Jud96 that's a great choice, I should have recommended it myself since I'm having a f-class rifle in that caliber. Much different rifle and application. My barrel is a 32" pushing a Berger 184gr at 2830. The rifle will be 21 pounds. To get back on track the 284 in a long action is a great choice. Stay away from Winchester brass. Look at Norma and Adg brass I think. With a 168-175 it's a great deer and elk round.
Good luck
Jason

Yes Jud96 that's a great choice, I should have recommended it myself since I'm having a f-class rifle in that caliber. Much different rifle and application. My barrel is a 32" pushing a Berger 184gr at 2830. The rifle will be 21 pounds. To get back on track the 284 in a long action is a great choice. Stay away from Winchester brass. Look at Norma and Adg brass I think. With a 168-175 it's a great deer and elk round.
Good luck
Jason
I have 100 pieces of the .284 Norma brass and I have 50 pieces of the Peterson brass. The Peterson stuff is just as good as Lapua and I plan to buy more of it because it's great stuff. I found RL23 powder to be very consistent in temperature changes and lot to lot. My load doesn't have any pressure signs and I'm still able to get 2855 from a 26" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts