Which 6 BR Dies?

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
After kicking around the old performance vs. bbl life, I decided to order an 8 twist 6mm bbl and have it cut for the BR. Next question is, which dies? I know most of you guys use the Redding Comp dies. I noticed that they don't make a FL comp bushing die. The three die set consists of a body die, comp seater and comp neck die. Is this what I need? It just seems to me that having to bump the shoulder w/on die and size the neck w/another is one more step than is needed. Is it better to do it this way?

Firstly, I would not go with the full Competion set. It is a waist of money to have the neck die with the Mic adjustment on it. I set mine and never had to adjust it again. I size the entire length of the neck to the shoulder junction. Go with the Redding Type S Match die set. Redding part#38317. The only difference is the lack of Mic adjustment for the neck sizer. You adjust it with the stem until the stem bottoms out on the bushing against the die and back out about 1/32 turn and lock in place. Just enough so that when the die is shook you hear the bushing move. Never need to adjust again. In regards to the bump die being a 2 step process by neck sizing then bumping the shoulder back. I am on my fourth loading and yet have had to bump the shoulder back. I have yet to trim my cases. I have no growth whatsoever. My chamber is cut as a Norma with a .272nk. Cannot remember what the leade length is.

Calvin

I agree. The comp neck sizer has a mic on it that is very rarely used, and if the amount or length of sizing needs to be altered, the old way of loosening a nut and backing it off a tad is not hard to do.

The comp neck sizer does have a floating sleeve for support of the rest of the case during sizing, but I think this feature is more important on the seater.

I have got a comp set for both my BR's, but I think now that the above mentioned part # would be my choice if I were buying again tomorrow.

I just neck size both my Br's until they get tight, then I use the body die which I like a lot. Yes, it is a two step process to not have a true FL sizer, but only one time every 8 or 9 loadings.

I would like to see a FL comp sizer with bushings but they currently do not make one.

Neil Jones does though, but you still have to pay for a micrometer which you may not want. And he is spendy.

[ QUOTE ]
Hay wild bill why are shooting a puss cal!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't figure I need another LR cannon. My 270 AM and my 300 RUM consume enough powder, I don't need another bbl burner or powder hog. Don't worry I'll come down and show you how shoot w/my puss gun!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hay wild bill why are shooting a puss cal!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
6-06,
with a 1-8"twist like Bill is running with some berger or Sierra VLD's , I'd put money on Bill's "Puss" gun that he could out shoot what ever you can come up with at 1000yard's, it might be small but it is a heck of a good round.
UB

UncleB,

Thanks for the vote of confidence!!

Don't worry, I'll get a chance to show 6-06 just how good this puss caliber shoots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts