Which .25?

If you were building a new rifle in 25 caliber for hunting and occasional target shooting, which one would it be and why? I'm in western NC so extreme ranges aren't likely but I would like to have the option to shoot the longer heavier bullets but probably would not purpose build it for one particular bullet. I like speed so I am thinking 100-115 grain bullets for the most part but I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
I have several 250 Ackley Improved guns that shoot lights out. Sierra uses this round to test the accuracy of their 25 caliber bullets. The Barnes 80 grain TTSX will turn the lights out on deer, antelope and feral hogs and it works wonders on prairie dogs with Nosler 80 grain Ballistic tips and I have not found it to be a barrel burner and are easy to fireform , especially in a prairie dog town. Two cents from Texas.

If you were building a new rifle in 25 caliber for hunting and occasional target shooting, which one would it be and why? I'm in western NC so extreme ranges aren't likely but I would like to have the option to shoot the longer heavier bullets but probably would not purpose build it for one particular bullet. I like speed so I am thinking 100-115 grain bullets for the most part but I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
250/3000 improved great round very accurate low recoil great for deer size game

Not sure if this will help you or not but here goes. I have picked up a used Wby. 30-06 for a fair price but it had seen some very tough use and barrel was in pretty rough shape. So did some research on the 25 caliber. Seemed like a nice middle of the road cartridge so I had a barrel done that is a gain twist 1:7.5 starting at 1:21/2. Chose this twist to stay away from unexpected high pressures during load test and load buildup.

The chamber, after much research was made quit short. ( Free bore ) was designed to have the bullet set close to the lands. I chose to shoot a max weight bullet a 115 gr. Barnes. With this bullet seated to factory length there is only .045ths free bore to the lands. This was chosen due to "normal" free bore in standard Weatherby being over 3/8". This can have the bullet almost floating between the cartridge and lands which could be detrimental to accuracy.

The barrel is 1 1/8" at the chamber and .850" at the muzzle, 24" long stainless with 32 degree muzzle opening. Yes this makes it a bit heavy and does not balance to well, however the distance of shots will be between 200 to 400 yards so lots of time to get set.

When I got the rifle back I had it bedded into a GRS sport laminated stock which balances well so toting it around is not too much of a problem. After some more research on bullets, powders and brass I chose to go with Wby brass, Federal 215 M primers, H1000 powder 70 gr. Bullet seated to factory length and Barnes TSX FB. First time to the range after getting 0'd, velocity was 3467, 3/8" MOA @ 100. Velocity varied by 5 fps to 12fps so did not do any further testing. Tried a load a 1.5 gr higher and hit severe pressure so just dropped back to first load and called it good at that. Did not want to burn out the barrel quicker than needed.

Hope this info helps in your thoughts.

I appreciate everyone's replies. I don't feel that I can ever have too much information when it comes to a decision like this. It gives me the opportunity to learn from people who actually have and use their rifles. There's a lot of to digest for sure. I have thought about trying to do a short action and lightweight stock but keep my barrel length in the 24-26" length for speed. The lighter action and stock should help offset the couple inches of extra barrel, am I right?

I am presently building a wildcat 25-284. Using Shehane dimensions as a start, but I plan on pushing the shoulder back 0.1" to allow for 135gr bergers in a SA magazine. Should be able to push them past 3000fps. For you I would just skip the shoulder bump. Use a 7.5 twist barrel. Expect up to 3200fps or better with the Berger 133s & 135s.

Yes, You can make it of of several other cases, 6mm Remington, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, Just depends on how much work you want to do. 7x57 is the parent case.
Thanks Harry Its great to have guys like you around here! I shoot a Swift and there are similarities there too ( 6mm Lee parent case)
I doubt ID build but its nice to have that option. The one I had was built by Mashburn on a K98 action circa 1950s?!

I've been thinking about it during the day today and I think I'd like to go with a short action and lightweight stock with a 24-26" fast twist barrel. My thinking is I could offset the weight of the longer barrel and have a fairly lightweight rifle that still gets the most out of the powder with the slightly longer barrel. What are your opinions with that added info?

The 25 calibers I have the most personal experience with is the .257 Roberts and the .250 Savage. both would make great lightweight carrying hunting rifles and both are extremely accurate with 75-100 grain bullets. Both are superb deer/bear/antelope cartridges with the 100 gr. bullets and excellent varmint cartridges with the 75 and 87 gr. bullets. I have good results with IMR 4064 and IMR 4350 in the .257 Roberts and IMR 3031 in the .250 Savage. If you go the 25-06 route and were worrying about brass, you could simply neck down 30-06 brass.

Recent Posts