What's your variable scope power range?

You are not missing much by not having a March. I know people rave about them, but the 2.5-25 has these shortcomings compared to a NF:

- Parallax adjustment is narrow - very difficult to see wind mirage
- Not as bright as a NF
- Warranty sucks - I dinged the bell and had to send back to Japan - cost me $700

As far as 6X on the bottom end, I discovered that is too much when I purchased a Redfield 6-18X. I much prefer no more than 5X on the bottom and 4X is even better.

You're being mean toward March, though. I know because I have a 2 1/2-25X52. The parallax isn't so bad. And the eyebox is almost as good as a Nightforce 5.5-22X56.

On the very first hunt, I looked down at the scope and discovered a shiny hole that used to have something in it. Fortunately, it wasn't open to the inside of the scope. I discovered it was for the illuminated reticle. Being an ignorant old man, I didn't even know it has illumination. Anyway, I got a hold of someone in Japan who told me it would be $200 for the knob that fits that hole. I began to whine like a kid about it being the very first hunt. The lady must have kids because she said, "Okay, I will give you 10% off." But with the money transfer it still cost $205.

My other scope is a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. My next one will be a March 5-50X56; that is if the Q-anon folks are correct and we all get a fat check from Uncle.

Years ago my first good vaiable was a Luepold 6-24 and had a couple of high powered NF (32-42) that have been traded or see limited use. Have a few 12x and 16x and like them for prarie dogs.
Lately 4-16s rule for general hunting and
Long rang as mirage mitigates the use of much more power. In fact LPVOs have gained use, not only for the
ARs but small canyon and tree use on the 338fed bolt.

As far as 6X on the bottom end, I discovered that is too much when I purchased a Redfield 6-18X. I much prefer no more than 5X on the bottom and 4X is even better.

You're being mean toward March, though. I know because I have a 2 1/2-25X52. The parallax isn't so bad. And the eyebox is almost as good as a Nightforce 5.5-22X56.

On the very first hunt, I looked down at the scope and discovered a shiny hole that used to have something in it. Fortunately, it wasn't open to the inside of the scope. I discovered it was for the illuminated reticle. Being an ignorant old man, I didn't even know it has illumination. Anyway, I got a hold of someone in Japan who told me it would be $200 for the knob that fits that hole. I began to whine like a kid about it being the very first hunt. The lady must have kids because she said, "Okay, I will give you 10% off." But with the money transfer it still cost $205.

My other scope is a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. My next one will be a March 5-50X56; that is if the Q-anon folks are correct and we all get a fat check from Uncle.
I am a NF snob but I have a bunch of Bushnell scopes - they don't get enough credit, probably because they sold those crappy Banner scopes years ago. I had a 1.5x-5x Leupold fail just before a full bag safari in Tanzania. Put a Bushnell 2x7 on my .416 and shot an elephant, eland, hippo, and two Cape buffalo with it.

I have a number of various power scopes on varied rifles and handguns set up for differing hunting conditions, and those range from fixed powers from 1.5x to 6x depending on handgun or rifle. The variables (several multiples) are in the 1-4x, 1.5-5x, 1.5-6x, 2-7x, 3-9x, 2.5-10x, 3-12x, 4-12x, 4.5-14x, 4-16x, 3-18x, 6-18x, 6-24x, 5-25x, 8-32x, and 10-40x. I may have forgotten a couple I am sure.

Edit: Just remembered an older 6.5-20x on one rifle, and a 2-10x on another.

Last edited:
LANCE

big brother pop GIF by Big Brother After Dark