Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

The 7 mag is an excellent round. You just have to know how to shoot it. Whitetail / 7 mag / 162 Amax / 1102 yds. It's the man behind the rifle that counts.
Yup.
I've done 1200 with a 6 Creedmoor and 1110 with a 6mmBR on purpose, off a stepladder.
There's never been any doubt in my mind of the effectiveness of a 7, all I was doing was rebelling about some guy trying to be another 270 O'Connor. Jack was a one off in his own right. Leave him be.
My buying, hunting, swapping career included everything from the .177 air gun to the 458 Winchester Magnum, and everything in between. They all worked for what they were intended for and I never gave anyone any grief for their choices - ain't none of my business'n ain't gonna be.😁😁

Yup.
I've done 1200 with a 6 Creedmoor and 1110 with a 6mmBR on purpose, off a stepladder.
There's never been any doubt in my mind of the effectiveness of a 7, all I was doing was rebelling about some guy trying to be another 270 O'Connor. Jack was a one off in his own right. Leave him be.
My buying, hunting, swapping career included everything from the .177 air gun to the 458 Winchester Magnum, and everything in between. They all worked for what they were intended for and I never gave anyone any grief for their choices - ain't none of my business'n ain't gonna be.😁😁
We had a guy at our club with the 458 mag testing loads for an Africa trip. He let me shoot 3 rounds and I was more than ready to hand it back. That rifle was a real thumper!

We had a guy at our club with the 458 mag testing loads for an Africa trip. He let me shoot 3 rounds and I was more than ready to hand it back. That rifle was a real thumper!
That 458 was a wonderful gopher gun . . .
I traded a 1906 Winchester .22 pump for it and a couple of boxes of shells cuz I was going moose hunting in northern Saskatchewan. By the sixth shot my hand was tingling. By the 11th my entire arm was numb and my shoulder was considerably bruised.
Never got a moose, but that wasn't gun related.
My dad wanted to go on a hike one day and suggested I bring along the crowbar. That was my name for that Ruger #1 Tropical rifle in 458 WM - The Crowbar.
By the time we got back to the vehicle to go home I hadn't shot it so he mentioned that, along with the inference that I was a recoil chicken. So I shot a poplar tree that was maybe 5" in diameter, three times. It fell over.
We went home.
My shoulder ached.
I'm a logger . . .

I've always wanted, but couldn't justify, a Winchester Model 70 in .458WM….. run a chamber reamer in it, making it a Lott!

I hate it…….only because I don't have it! 😁 memtb

Last edited:
For most of my life - anything 7.
But wait! I had a reason!
Since I was six I would sneak - if you could sneak - into the drug store and read the shooting magazines on the rack until the proprietor would figger that was enough for the day.
From then until the very last article I read by one particular writer, it didn't matter if he was writing about a new .22 long rifle from a new rifle company, he'd turn the article into something about something 7 - no kidding.
I'm talking 40+ years of this crap. So I just rebelled against 7 - anything.
Recently a friend who's a smith had me shooting a 7 something at his 500 yard steel and it made a wonderful thump - and shot a very impressive group. But being a 65 year old life long 7 rebel . . . I'll probably walk around that one, too.😁
Holy crap Brother, I'm the same way. I've never owned a 7 anything until recently. I'm building a .275 Rigby just because W.D. Bell had one and killed a bunch of stuff with it. Even the Britts refused to call it a 7mm Mauser and renamed it, .275 Rigby. That's what I'm doing as well. I hope I don't have bad dreams. ;)

I traded a 1906 Winchester .22 pump for it and a couple of boxes of shells cuz I was going moose hunting in northern Saskatchewan. By the sixth shot my hand was tingling. By the 11th my entire arm was numb and my shoulder was considerably bruised.
My dad wanted to go on a hike one day and suggested I bring along the crowbar. That was my name for that Ruger #1 Tropical rifle in 458 WM - The Crowbar.
By the time we got back to the vehicle to go home I hadn't shot it so he mentioned that, along with the inference that I was a recoil chicken. So I shot a poplar tree that was maybe 5" in diameter, three times. It fell over.
We went home.
My shoulder ached.
I'm a logger . . .
Reminds me of a single shot 10 g 3.5 inch goose loads. You sit up shoot it and do a back flip with each shot.

Holy crap Brother, I'm the same way. I've never owned a 7 anything until recently. I'm building a .275 Rigby just because W.D. Bell had one and killed a bunch of stuff with it. Even the Britts refused to call it a 7mm Mauser and renamed it, .275 Rigby. That's what I'm doing as well. I hope I don't have bad dreams. ;)

We went home.
My shoulder ached.
I'm a logger . . .
Man, I've shot a .458WM a lot and the only thing worse than shooting it standing up is shooting it off the bench. Doing load development with a .458 makes you flinch just thinking about it. Plus the fact, every time you pull the switch, your bank account gets smaller. Especially shooting those premium 500 grain solids turned one at a time by unemployed Tibetan Monks. It's hard to fathom why anyone would want to rechamber a .458 WM for a .458 LOTT these days. I rather run my car into a brick wall at 35MPH than shoot one of those things. In the old days the .458 WM had some issues but the newer powders and bullets have pretty much resolved the problems. My 500 grain solid went completely through my cape buff from front to back at 2080 fps. (62 grains of RE7) Your mileage may vary. That bullet went all the way to Tanzania.

Recent Posts