Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

Love to Hate, that's easy.
The 5.56 / 223
Reloading is a jamming nightmare. They use the 223 die for reloading the 5.56. But if you do the math there is .004 difference in these two cartridges and every 5.56 AR I have used the reloads in will jam too often for my satisfaction.

I think someone said 6.8 spc. I jumped on board before it was even really announced. I got to shoot one of the initial ones in the desert with some super secret operator types. Great idea I thought. Had to have one. Called all over and found one set of proto dies. Starline had some once fired from their testing. Borrowed a reamer from "a guy" . What did I do? I made it on a mini 30 receiver. Hey, not bad. Shot around 1.5 moa which is awesome from anything with Ruger and Mini in its name. Then a 700 bolt gun. Tried hundreds of combos. Nothing awesome, although subsonic 150 grs in front of trailboss was a tack driver. What possible use is 150 grains at less than 1100fps? The answer is there is absolutely no use at all. Everything else was crap. Then ARs started showing up on the market. Got me a CMMG. Again 1.5 to 2 moa. I bought several barrels of different makes to try. 9 twist, 10, 11, 12. 12", 14", 16", 18, 20, 22. Nope.
Rebarreled the bolt gun with a premium barrel and commercial reamer. Yep, 1.5 to 2. Years trying different combos while reading forums and articles about .5 moa guns. Pfft. I thought that cartridge is impossible and there are a lot of lying authors out there. By now I have two die sets, three reamers, mountains of brass i got from the Ft Benning DRMO and ammo, a mini, an AR with multiple uppers and a 700 in 6.8. The final nail? Nope. I had a spare Ruger American laying around last year. My pea brain says do it. So I did. Heavy Krieger, 10 twist, hours on the lathe carefully working the barrel and chamber and shank. Hours reworking a difficult 223 bolt face and making an extractor to fit. I now have a sub moa 6.8 spc. But why? Its ballistics kinda suck except with specialty high bc custom bullets from Badlands, there are several new things that beat it by a mile. I just couldn't. Let. it. win. I hate the 6.8SPC. its "special purpose" was to torture a simple minded fella for a couple decades.

I think someone said 6.8 spc. I jumped on board before it was even really announced. I got to shoot one of the initial ones in the desert with some super secret operator types. Great idea I thought. Had to have one. Called all over and found one set of proto dies. Starline had some once fired from their testing. Borrowed a reamer from "a guy" . What did I do? I made it on a mini 30 receiver. Hey, not bad. Shot around 1.5 moa which is awesome from anything with Ruger and Mini in its name. Then a 700 bolt gun. Tried hundreds of combos. Nothing awesome, although subsonic 150 grs in front of trailboss was a tack driver. What possible use is 150 grains at less than 1100fps? The answer is there is absolutely no use at all. Everything else was crap. Then ARs started showing up on the market. Got me a CMMG. Again 1.5 to 2 moa. I bought several barrels of different makes to try. 9 twist, 10, 11, 12. 12", 14", 16", 18, 20, 22. Nope.
Rebarreled the bolt gun with a premium barrel and commercial reamer. Yep, 1.5 to 2. Years trying different combos while reading forums and articles about .5 moa guns. Pfft. I thought that cartridge is impossible and there are a lot of lying authors out there. By now I have two die sets, three reamers, mountains of brass i got from the Ft Benning DRMO and ammo, a mini, an AR with multiple uppers and a 700 in 6.8. The final nail? Nope. I had a spare Ruger American laying around last year. My pea brain says do it. So I did. Heavy Krieger, 10 twist, hours on the lathe carefully working the barrel and chamber and shank. Hours reworking a difficult 223 bolt face and making an extractor to fit. I now have a sub moa 6.8 spc. But why? Its ballistics kinda suck except with specialty high bc custom bullets from Badlands, there are several new things that beat it by a mile. I just couldn't. Let. it. win. I hate the 6.8SPC. its "special purpose" was to torture a simple minded fella for a couple decades.
That's a very specific hate😂😂😂😂

That's interesting. Remington and PTG really screwed it up early transposing the numbers in the chamber drawing causing the reduced performance. Once that was fixed, I found it to be a very easy round to work with and get pretty good accuracy but not bench rest. I had one cheap upper with a drop in handguard with a light barrel that was a 1.25moa but it improved to 1moa after I put a free float rail on it. I did sell it to my nephew though. All others that I own have been 3/4 moa or better and some sub .5moa and sometimes better. All I have built for others have shot 1moa or less in test firing them. The 130-140 Berger classic work well for long range paper punching and you can kid them 2.295 in many mags. Even longer with some specialty mags. Getting 3k fps with a 90gr GD works well for eastern white tails etc. of course the monolithic stuff really helps it.

Last edited:
6.5 CM - for any and all of the above reasons.
I guess I would have to agree. Not so much the cartridge per se, but all the BS marketing surrounding it. You would think it's just shy of some super phaser from Star Trek.
I don't hate any cartridge...I hate cartridge haters. And I hate hate bandwagonners. And I hate hate hate people that do stuff to look cool or rich, and ruin it for the folks that have been doing it thier whole lives. And really hate those who can't figure out when their or they're or there is appropriate. Or how to spell their. Oh wait...NM.

More seriously though, the 17wsm has recently fallen out of favor with me since they stopped making it. When it was still everywhere and12 bux a box I was anchoring anything from prairie dogs to foxes out to180 yards.

So...even though the 300 bo and 308 win are on the ragged edge of my dislike list, I'm thinking about getting one of each- because of their popularity, availability, and usefulness for certain applications. And they're efficient which in a powder shortage kinda matters.

I really LIKE efficient cartridges.
Hate to tell you this but the 308Win in terms of delivering to the bullet the most energy per grain of powder, is extremely efficient.

TBH I really don't hate any specific cartridges. It's the people that think there chosen cartridge(s) is/are the end all be all that irritate the c*** outa me.

People can hate on Hornady cartridges all they want in favor of their more "traditional" cartridges, but if those cartridges had the factory support that Hornady did, then they wouldn't have taken off the way they did.

*I still shoot 308 and 7RM but also have 6.5CM and 6.5PRC for my daughter due to the fact that they're light recoiling, inherently accurate, I hate loading for multiple calibers and you can't really beat their availability / factory support.

Last edited:
You know, the 270Win has been largely forgotten. Not sure why. It's performance can really be enhanced by better high BC bullets and tighter rifling. The .277 caliber has a greater BC potential than the 6.5 or 6mm.

Agreed but 6mm and 6.5 are SA calibers (assuming you're referring to the CM) and the .270win is a LA. So not really a an apples to apples comparison unless you're comparing to maybe a 264WM. I think that 270 would probably take back off if rifles builders started building them with the tighter twist rates required and ammunition manufacturers started putting out match grade quality ammunition using those higher BC bullets and kept the shelves stocked with said ammo.

Last edited: