What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

• Bivy

Votes: 47 7.0%
  • Tarp

Votes: 75 11.1%
  • Bivy/Tarp combo

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • 3 season double wall tent

Votes: 130 19.2%
  • 3 season single wall tent

Votes: 154 22.8%
  • 4 season tent

Votes: 96 14.2%
  • Tipi

Votes: 84 12.4%

• Total voters
Re: What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle seas

4 Season tent most of the time. Aint got no other option when your above the snow line with no trees.
But a bivvy(tarp) is fine when I hunt in the bush

Re: What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle seas

If I am hunting with at least 1 other guy I use my Cabelas XPG Expedition 4-season 4-person tent. Where I hunt in Colorado we get hit with some pretty big snow storms more often than not. Last year one of the guys in our camp used a free standing 3-season tent and a big snow storm collapsed in his cieling in the middle of the night.

I also like the extra room inside the 4-person tent to store gear during a storm.

I'd like to backpack hunt but I can't. I'm a lodge person or tent and genny. I have Sleep Apena so I have to use a machine every night or I'm a zombie. I have a L Ion battery pack that makes it 2 days max and must be charged up so backpacking is out.

I do daytrips, thats about it.

The batterypack weighs 6 pounds and the machine another 3 so it would limit my capacity enormously.

Besides, the lodge or outfitters camp does have ammenities.:)

my little Cabelas bivy has seen me through up to 18" of snowfall without collapsing (i had to punch the walls on regular intervals to keep condensation off, but it held up). that's my go-to shelter for short trips (1-3 nights). the only complaint is with such a big door/flap, it's hard to keep snow out on multi-day trips. 3.5# iirc

if i'm going for longer i'll take my 3 season Kelty (bombproof frame has stood up to 60mph winds & 2-3 feet of snow before). the smaller opening limits how much snow or mud i can track in (crawl in), and the vestibule gives me a place to keep gear dry. 8# with heavy tarp for footprint.

I try to keep it light with a Big Agnes 2person fly creek. I know it is a risk running so light,so I try to use natural shelters and a small tarp as supplements. So far so good.

Firetech

I just decided on a Fly Creek for my upcoming Rocky Mountain Park photo backpack trip next month. I appreciate the validation.

It runs small for two people but great for one with gear. I was in mild rain for a week on a late September hunt and it keep me dry.

I have a Outdoor Reserch advanced bivy that I have used during a early season blizzard for 2 days without getting out. I used a tree and a small tarp to help out. My sleeping bag is down and I was really worried about getting wet but I made it through. I hope to never have to do that again. Now I usually use a double wall 3 season tent. It is nice to be able to move around. I will say that OR makes a really great bivy.

I voted 4-season tent.

Like others have posted, I too have sleep apnea. That notwithstanding, I've spent enough time in the mountains that 1) if I'm backpack hunting and 2) there's a chance for snow ..... I don't mess around with less than snow-worthy sleeping arrangements.

In my experience, a bivy just isn't my cup 'o tea. I had a very nice Integral Designs Unishelter and have used other smaller bivy's, but in the end it got sold after a couple uses. Now, I use my Integral Designs MK2 XL single-wall tent with which they did some awesome customizing for me. If it's warm weather I use my Henry Shires TarpTent "Cloudburst II" UL tent, but that's unusual for fall in the mountains....

Incidentally, I don't sleep nearly as well without my CPAP and *always* miss it (can't believe I actually said that), but I can catch 'cat-naps' here and there to make up the overnight loss(es).

Since you didn't put "hotel" or "camper" in the options I went with tepee. I don't backpack hunt. At one time we used a camper, but lately usually we just leave three hours before sun up or use the occasional hotel.

I go out in the morning with my backpack and 4x4 and am back at night with my backpack 4x4 and critter. Hunting it up in a RV...gotta love living in Idaho:)

My vote was for a bivy/tarp combo. I use an Integral Designs Sildome tarp tent and an Integral Designs Bugaboo bivy. All I have to do is switch out my sleeping bags and I can sleep comfortably year around. I've used this combo during two 2nd rifle season elk hunts in CO and a couple of early and late season deer hunts in OK and have slept well. I have recently added a Therm-A-Rest Ultra Lite cot which adds even more comfort to the combo. Total weight even with my heaviest sleeping bag is still under 8lbs.

The Sierra Designs Clip Flaslight 2 tent is a classic ultralight 2 person tent which has been a lightweight standard for a very long time. Small light weight and very quick to assemble.

I didn't vote because you don't have the best shelter, a hammock. The older I get the more I appreciate not sleeping on the ground, or should i say on a rock. If I'm not in base camp with a wall tent and a cot, I'm in a hammock. Most comfortable light weight outdoor shelter there is. And this comes from a person with a lot of experience as all my hunting is done while camping and backpacking.