What to do

I have a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun it too is a light rifle, kicks like two mules on steroids when that trigger is pulled.

Bull, Marlin Guide Gun just sweetly touches your shoulder. Its not even recoil, its just reminder - you are still living.

I have a 300wsm from browning that kicked like two mules with a plastic stock i took it to the range with my father in law that was a gun smith and he saw how hard it was kicking. So he took the rifle measured the length of my arm and made me a stock and it took 80% of the kick out now i love the rifle and it is my favorite.

Bull, Marlin Guide Gun just sweetly touches your shoulder. Its not even recoil, its just reminder - you are still living.

Really!!!!??????? I just must have been born a true wimp:mad::rolleyes:!! When one of those 405gr babies go off you better be paying attention or you're going to either whacked hard or you're going to get "scoped" every time. I can shoot it, but it is limited to around 20 rounds per session. And......as far as, "it's just a reminder-you are living!" That's a whole lot of living for me. Full bore 225gr 35 Whelens don't even come close to that 45-70 in the Guide Gun.

Last edited:
jbo829,
I installed a 3 port minimag muscle brake in 1/2"x28 on the exact same rifle for a customer's wife, she loves it. I too am all about the Sherman Wildcats though and would encourage you to take that path. Happy shooting!

+1 on the Limbsaver idea. I am guessing the A bolt has a hard rubber pad.

Before you take off a barrel, have you thought about just adding weight to reduce the recoil? That's how our forefathers of yesterday tamed recoil and it does work. Still commonly done with shotguns. Could simply remove the butt plate, drill one or two 5/8" holes 5" deep and fill with lead shot. Or go fancy and get the mercury filled inserts. Replace butt plate and enjoy shooting. Easy to reverse in the future with a hardwood dowel and glue. Drilled from the butt will not hurt the strength of the stock.

I don't know why these forums are not higher on the WSM line. The 7mm and 270 WSMs have ballistic coefficients that are not far off of the 6.5s and they shoot harder than most of them. They are also pleasant to shoot.
The real problem you have is the bullet weight. I hunt elk with a 300 WSM and 130 grain Berger TTSK bullets. It shoots like a .243. The recoil is much more noticeable if I go up to 180 grain bullets. You probably shoot 225 grain in your 325 WSM.
Years ago all this bullet weight was necessary because most of the bullets were pretty bad. Today with bullets like Barns, they are engineered to perform. They open instantly and with their solid base still exit.
I understand the long, or heavy for caliber advantage for long range matches etc. Are you really going to risk a shot on an elk at 800 yards??? I have killed 13 large bull elk with the 130 grain Barnes to 450 yards, some quartering, all the bullets exited and all one shot kills. None went more than 30 yds, most just collapsed where they stood. These bullets expand so fast that about 75% of the time I can see the entry point of the bullet.
Re-barrel to .270 or 7MM WSM, put a Limb Saver recoil pad on your gun, shoot 130 or 140 grain Barnes and you can take anything in North America and enjoy shooting again.

Really!!!!??????? I just must have been born a true wimp:mad::rolleyes:!! When one of those 405gr babies go off you better be paying attention or you're going to either whacked hard or you're going to get "scoped" every time. I can shoot it, but it is limited to around 20 rounds per session. And......as far as, "it's just a reminder-you are living!" That's a whole lot of living for me. Full bore 225gr 35 Whelens don't even come close to that 45-70 in the Guide Gun.

Smile,

I have the same thing in 450 Marlin. Its real pleasure to run 350 gr Swift A Frames 2085 fps through it. Only miror downside is its original small lever loop. The middle finger gets swollen after some 40 shots from bench.

However, the terminal effects in moose at close range are worth these minor complications. My next baby will be 416 Rem Mag, just to increase my range to 300m and still having same delightful user experience.

Living, loving, loudly.

I currently have a browning abolt white gold medallion chambered in a 325wsm the gun is to light and the recoil is harsh

So I been pondering on the idea of do I sell the rifle and buy a donor action to build a lighter recoiling rifle
Or
Do I just rebarrel this one
The new rifle will be a around a short action and and hunting white tails and a coyote here and there

The 3 i been thing about would be a
25 sst
7ss
7ss max
Unless you are looking for a different specific caliber, have a local smith install a "APA Little Bastard" or "APA Micro Bastard" muzzle break, one of the best on the market and will tame down the beast! I have multiple breaks on different weapons but have seven of them! It and the Area 419 break in my opinion work the best

I don't know why these forums are not higher on the WSM line. The 7mm and 270 WSMs have ballistic coefficients that are not far off of the 6.5s and they shoot harder than most of them. They are also pleasant to shoot.
The real problem you have is the bullet weight. I hunt elk with a 300 WSM and 130 grain Berger TTSK bullets. It shoots like a .243. The recoil is much more noticeable if I go up to 180 grain bullets. You probably shoot 225 grain in your 325 WSM.
Years ago all this bullet weight was necessary because most of the bullets were pretty bad. Today with bullets like Barns, they are engineered to perform. They open instantly and with their solid base still exit.
I understand the long, or heavy for caliber advantage for long range matches etc. Are you really going to risk a shot on an elk at 800 yards??? I have killed 13 large bull elk with the 130 grain Barnes to 450 yards, some quartering, all the bullets exited and all one shot kills. None went more than 30 yds, most just collapsed where they stood. These bullets expand so fast that about 75% of the time I can see the entry point of the bullet.
Re-barrel to .270 or 7MM WSM, put a Limb Saver recoil pad on your gun, shoot 130 or 140 grain Barnes and you can take anything in North America and enjoy shooting again.
Because the WSM line will not hold a candle to calibers like the 6.5 STW and 7mm STW PUSHING A 190gr Berger EOL at 3254 fps still not enough but next step would be my 30-378. The WSM will not push the heavier and longer projectiles like the full size magnum. Working on my 6.5 RUM now.

Witt Machine and Tool builds clamp on muzzle breaks that fit the exact dimensions of your barrel and caliber. Best part is they are only $89. I have one on a 300 Win Mag that was beating my shoulder to death. With the clamp on and some red Loctite it tamed it down to a ***** cat. If you can get over the stigmatism of a clamp on it's the best and cheapest way to go.