What to do with older 22-250

Just my 2 cents but if you can reload I'd go 22 cm instead of ai just because no fire forming and with an 8 twist you have more versatility. I have two of them and an 22-250ai and don't hardly ever shoot my ai anymore. But that's just my opinion.

I have a Remington 700 22-250 that was purchased in 2003. This is one of Remington's many mass production rifles that are so so. Sometimes they group and sometimes they don't type of rifle. The barrel on this rifle is shot out and doesn't group anymore. Here is my question for you all. I cant decide if its worth it to have the action blueprinted and rebarreled in a different caliber like .243 or 6 creed or just start over and get what I can out of it from a pawn shop? Would you just sell it or what caliber would you choose if you rebarreled it? Thanks for your input
If you decide to sell it, let us know what your asking. It would probably go quickly if price is reasonable. I'll watch the classifieds.

7 pages of response in 1 day!

Chances are the subject Rem 700 has a riveted extractor - not my favorite. If so I would consider selling it.

Should it be retained my suggestiions would be to have the receiver face squared off with the threads & bolt lugs lapped in, for uses less than competive bench rest a blue print job is superfluous. Brownells sells (or did sell) items for replacing riveted extractors. The Rem 700 action as produced is capable of fine accuracy. My caliber selections for a re-barrel job would be; .22-.250, (22,6mm,6.5 CM), & (6, 6 .5X47 Lapua). All of these fit real good in Rem 700 SA rifles.

This kinda caught my eye,My friend and I purchased two Remington Model 788 rifle's for like $78.00 back in the day and believe it or not I still have mine.Here's the backstory,we sighted them in at 300 yards,both were identical, rifle and 10 power Bushnell scopes.Bench shooting at 300yards we could put 3 shots almost always inside a size of a quarter using 55grain Rem factory loads.You talk about a good groundhog gun! we had so much fun and was shooting 4 and 5oo yards at groundhogs standing up.Guess the topic of the 22-250's brought back a lot of good memories. But that is why we all get together here to discuss old times and new times and discuss guns and bullets,ect I found out later that the 788 outshot the ADL and BDL so they quit making the rifle because of that is what the rumor is. OK done with memory lane, time for some dinner

Be careful of the 6mm br it will cost you a fortune!!!! You build a fast twist and it shoots really good. Then you wonder about a 22br and it shoots really good! Then you build a 20br. Then you think I have some 70gr .243 bullets so you built a slow twist 6br then your broke🤠

This kinda caught my eye,My friend and I purchased two Remington Model 788 rifle's for like $78.00 back in the day and believe it or not I still have mine.Here's the backstory,we sighted them in at 300 yards,both were identical, rifle and 10 power Bushnell scopes.Bench shooting at 300yards we could put 3 shots almost always inside a size of a quarter using 55grain Rem factory loads.You talk about a good groundhog gun! we had so much fun and was shooting 4 and 5oo yards at groundhogs standing up.Guess the topic of the 22-250's brought back a lot of good memories. But that is why we all get together here to discuss old times and new times and discuss guns and bullets,ect I found out later that the 788 outshot the ADL and BDL so they quit making the rifle because of that is what the rumor is. OK done with memory lane, time for some dinner
Ahh, the 788! Got one in 22-250 in a McMillan stock. Its original stock was the first year production with walnut, which I sold, but the 788's stiff action and fast lock time made them a real treasure for not much money, and even popular with the benchrest crowd back in the day. Congratulations, you've got a keeper.

Be careful of the 6mm br it will cost you a fortune!!!! You build a fast twist and it shoots really good. Then you wonder about a 22br and it shoots really good! Then you build a 20br. Then you think I have some 70gr .243 bullets so you built a slow twist 6br then your broke🤠
You forgot 6BRA, 22BRA, 20BRA, and the Dasher variants of each cal.

Yup it's real and I know. lol

I have a Remington 700 22-250 that was purchased in 2003. This is one of Remington's many mass production rifles that are so so. Sometimes they group and sometimes they don't type of rifle. The barrel on this rifle is shot out and doesn't group anymore. Here is my question for you all. I cant decide if its worth it to have the action blueprinted and rebarreled in a different caliber like .243 or 6 creed or just start over and get what I can out of it from a pawn shop? Would you just sell it or what caliber would you choose if you rebarreled it? Thanks for your input
I had one and had it chambered to a 6 Dasher. No Regrets.

I love my 6 creed so that

I love my 6 creed so that's what I'd do.

I had one and had it chambered to a 6 Dasher. No Regrets.
That's good advice , don't like cases much over 30 gn capacity in a 22 bore so try the above or 22BR. If you can't control yourself then 22 Creed using small rifle primers. I use a worn out benchrest barrel in 22PPC for the field and have converted 22.250 and Swift shooters to 22PPC when they see the distance I make hits. 90% of my game are small and taken from 100 to 500 yards

Re-barrel into a 22 Cheetah

Selling a rifle to a pawn shop is pretty much a cop out as well as a dis-service to whomever decides to buy it. Same goes for some gun shops who take a rifle in, put it out on the rack and sell it to some unsuspecting buyer as a good rifle. The counter to this is, "While it may not meet my accuracy standards (1MOA or less) some others who are not connie sewers of accuracy will be happy with 3 MOA since they don't shoot that much or aren't worried about exactly where the bullet hits as long as it hits somewhere close. I have to admit that I have sold rifles and pistols that did not meet my accuracy standards but for the most of the public who can't hit the broad side of a barn if they are in it anyway. BTW This comes from over 50 years of being shooting instructor and dealing with people who only want to be able to hit a target, not the center of the target. Speaking of the not being able to hit the broad side of a barn if in it...that is how I bought my first Tikka, a 30-06 which the guy trading it in said it would not shoot. He did not get a lot for it, nor did I pay a lot for it used. Put a Vortex 6 x 24 x 50 on it and with out of the box Sig Sauer Elite 165 gr shot a group that measured 0.6 MOA. Those of us who are here, value good rifles, no matter who makes them or what kind of cannon fodder they spit out of the muzzle. Now honestly would any of you go to a pawn shop to buy your next rifle? That is unless you were simply looking for an action for your next build?

Recent Posts