What to do with a side lock

g0rd0

I have a Hawkin 50 cal percussion cap. I use a Lee 250grn real bullet lubed with bees wax.
After I cast my bullets I place them in a silcon pan pour the melted wax in to the top ridge filling both cavities. I then after the wax hardens cut out the bullets with a tube (pick them up from the range) putting a box board disc between the bullets.
For shooting I put 1 bullet and 1 disc (the disc is to keep the powder and lube separete), in a tube then a charge, then at the range all I do is pour the powder in the barrel and push the disc and bullet in using a short starter.
I use 70 grains (by weight) triple7 and find that it burns clean, clean up after 10 to 20 rounds is a breeze
In the photo L to R is a 13mm gasket punch, my cutting tube, a range / hunting tube ready for powder then a unlubed bullet

just curious, what do you use?

Attachments

• pt1.JPG
    pt1.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 210
I do about the same, I use 370 grain maxi balls from an Ideal mold. I made a cutter from removing from the lube pan, works like a syringe, and you can pop them right out. It's made from a 50 bag case.
20190310_163555.jpg
20190310_163615.jpg
I just store them in empty plastic bullet boxes, but I really like your tube idea.......I'll have to see if I can find some! For hunting, I just carry a few speed loaders that have two compartments, one for powder, one for bullets.

if you do go with the tubes that I use get yourself a gasket cutter (13mm or 9/16") cut discs from box board (cerial boxes), and place them between the bullet and powder this will prevent the lube from contaminating the powder. When you pour the powder in the bore push both the disc and bullet in together. Really easy to use and the disc will keep your barrel much cleaner.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.