What second rifle for western hunting?

I live and hunt out west, I am aware of the thread and while it would work if thats all you had I wouldn't say its ideal or a good idea if you are coming from the east coast.. I know what a non resident tag costs and bringing anything less than a 6.5 seems like it would be a gamble to me. I know plenty of people who will swear by a 6mm for elk, they probably wont tell you how many pills they pumped into their bull or cow.

There's people that are switching from bigger stuff to 223 though because of how it works. I don't think it really matters where you're from as to how effective it is though.

My uncle shot his elk that was a big bull at about 150 yards with a 308. Punched it in the shoulder taking out both lungs and clipping the heart and it stood there for a bit and walked like 20' and stopped. He thought he missed it completely based on its reaction and losing sight picture from recoil but everyone on glass said he smoked it. He shot it again and that shot took its legs out from under it and there were two holes less than a finger width apart. It was going to be very dead after the first shot but it still didn't drop until a second shot from a 308 that I'm sure still had far more impact velocity and speed at 150 yards than a 300WM or 300PRC has at 500 yards like some people are suggesting.

I've seen deer last a while with devastating shots too so nothing is absolute except for the fact a well placed shot will yield the best results in the end.

Myself, I take along a lightweight 20" barrel rifle as a backup....then if I encounter heavy cover/trees/windbreaks I want to walk, I have a short, fast handling rifle that fits that scenario + can act as my backup rifle. Two roles essentially. Your choice of platform/caliber that works best for you.

What chamberings do you run?

There's people that are switching from bigger stuff to 223 though because of how it works. I don't think it really matters where you're from as to how effective it is though.

My uncle shot his elk that was a big bull at about 150 yards with a 308. Punched it in the shoulder taking out both lungs and clipping the heart and it stood there for a bit and walked like 20' and stopped. He thought he missed it completely based on its reaction and losing sight picture from recoil but everyone on glass said he smoked it. He shot it again and that shot took its legs out from under it and there were two holes less than a finger width apart. It was going to be very dead after the first shot but it still didn't drop until a second shot from a 308 that I'm sure still had far more impact velocity and speed at 150 yards than a 300WM or 300PRC has at 500 yards like some people are suggesting.

I've seen deer last a while with devastating shots too so nothing is absolute except for the fact a well placed shot will yield the best results in the end.

270 WSM and 6.5CM. The lightweight CM might get the 6.5 Beanmore upgrade for the extra 150-200 fps bump. However, the 85 gr Hammer Hunter at over 3400 fps from that rifle is hard to walk away from. Outstanding terminal performance on the one buck I shot with it.

With a can you get the hearing protection and some recoil reduction. The hearing protection is why I run a can, trying to keep what I have left. The other thing I have noticed when you're in a herd of elk, they don't spook as bad. So if you're with buddies, it sometimes makes it easier to fill more tags. Those are the main reasons to run a can. If your going with a shorter barrel to run a can go with a bigger cartridge to offset the velocity loss.

I don't think you have said other than a general gun for out west. What are you hunting? Groundhogs, blacktail, coues, muleys, whitetail, elk, moose, sheep, goats, yotes, or anything else? Do you have tags? If you have tags you may want to check with the outfitter if using one to see what they recommend

I truly wonder what the actual number of people switching is? coming from an area that I can hunt these game animals on a yearly basis and know people who do, they aren't rushing out to buy 6.5 cm(literally just bought one from a buddy to use as a whitetail doe/antelope/sxs gun) or any of the new 6mm's for elk. Will they work? absolutely, but I'm sure you have insurance on your vehicle and hope to never use it, why take a "marginal" round if you are capable and willing to shoot something in the traditional magnum category. Thats my take but its not my gun or tag so take what you want from that.

270 WSM and 6.5CM. The lightweight CM might get the 6.5 Beanmore upgrade for the extra 150-200 fps bump. However, the 85 gr Hammer Hunter at over 3400 fps from that rifle is hard to walk away from. Outstanding terminal performance on the one buck I shot with it.

That's interesting you're running those and I had been considering an Element in 6.5 for the second rifle as a light option. I'd be comfortable shooting it at that weight without a brake or suppressor too and it comes with a 21" barrel in that configuration. At that rate though I might also be tempted to get a second PH2 NRL but in 6mm Creedmoor and send to Seekins for an Element 6.5 barrel and have more versatility in the same rifle. I could also get a 6.5 PRC barrel done for it to have a little more HP over the Creedmoor. I believe someone else mentioned 6.5 PRC here too.

For my second rifle I always carry in a super common cartridge whether my first is or not. A 270, 7rm, or 300 win mag is what I would look at for your purposes.

Lou

Agreed but the rifle I already have wouldn't necessarily be my primary rifle, it could I supposed and it may be for some, but it doesn't have to be so it could be my backup. Given that most Walmarts have 4 different Winchester loads, core lokt, power shock, and FGMM on the shelf I consider 6.5 Creedmoor a common caliber and I wouldn't be concerned in the least bit about finding ammo.

Agreed but the rifle I already have wouldn't necessarily be my primary rifle, it could I supposed and it may be for some, but it doesn't have to be so it could be my backup. Given that most Walmarts have 4 different Winchester loads, core lokt, power shock, and FGMM on the shelf I consider 6.5 Creedmoor a common caliber and I wouldn't be concerned in the least bit about finding ammo.
Makes sense. Me being conservative gotta have 1 common along and 6.5 cm works

Lou

Can you read wind? Are you most accurate with your 6.5cm? If so, take that element with some factory eldm/x. If you aren't the best with wind calls say across a small draw in the tricky thermals/prevailing winds, I'd take whatever listed above that has the highest BC factory bullet with the most velocity. 24" with an ultra 7 will be fine out west.

Can you read wind? Are you most accurate with your 6.5cm? If so, take that element with some factory eldm/x. If you aren't the best with wind calls say across a small draw in the tricky thermals/prevailing winds, I'd take whatever listed above that has the highest BC factory bullet with the most velocity. 24" with an ultra 7 will be fine out west.

Been shooting long range for two decades competitively and for fun so I'm at least above average on wind reading. I shoot a 6.5CM very well and have tens of thousands of rounds between it and 6.5x47L with 140's down range at long range targets so I know typical full value wind holds at any given distances without looking at a dope card or kestrel.

The Element does seem like a nice rifle option. I'm considering one or something similar to run suppressed. Looking over the product page, with the cartridges they offer, any of the highlighted would/should work. I'd probably just go 7mm PRC and not look back.

*I already have a 300 Win.

1707423530752.png

Been shooting long range for two decades competitively and for fun so I'm at least above average on wind reading. I shoot a 6.5CM very well and have tens of thousands of rounds between it and 6.5x47L with 140's down range at long range targets so I know typical full value wind holds at any given distances without looking at a dope card or kestrel.
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot that 6.5 then. I'd spend that money on some extra gear to make your hunt more enjoyable/warmer/dryer, whatever you may need. New glass/spotter, boots, pack, etc.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot that 6.5 then. I'd spend that money on some extra gear to make your hunt more enjoyable/warmer/dryer, whatever you may need. New glass/spotter, boots, pack, etc.

I've got most of that stuff covered. I don't care for spotters but I've got SLC 15's, NL 12's, EL Range TA 10's, EL 8.5's, two RRS tripods, an assortment of danners, and several mystery ranch packs. I'll need some clothes but I'd probably pick that kind of stuff up somewhere on the way.

I do need a backup rifle though. I've had triggers and optics fail and just **** happen in general so unless the rifle said Accuracy International on the side I wouldn't not bring a backup and I don't really want to carry one of those around the mountains that much. I sold a lot of my rifles when I moved to FL so the only thing I currently have that I think would be adequate and ok to carry would be my Winchester 375 H&H but I want to sell that because it sucks *** to shoot.