What scope to buy?

H2OFUZZ

Ok looking to re scope my 7mm STW this will somday me me 1000 yd gun so i need a scope that will fill the bill. My budget is $1000-$1200MAX would like 20power min. Thanks for the help.

If you can hold out for a month, Scott at Liberty optics told me that Vortex said is when the viper PST wil be back. This is the scope I wanted but got too good of a deal on a Leupold. Will still get one once I get back to work this spring. Just wish lupy had a better selection on the reticles. Oh, the price of the PST from Scott is under 750. Look them up, you may decide it is worth waiting for. Jeff

Says they are available on the web page i wonder if anyone locally here has one. I can pick up a huskemaw here but i am not sure about the 1/3 MOA what do you guys think.

when you bring up the Liberty optics web and click on the viper pst. at the bottom of the item description in red letters it says they are out...

zeiss conquest with z-1000 reticle should work well for you, and be under $1000.00 for the 6.5x20x50 with target turrets.

Last edited:
A Leupold vx-3 in 6.5-20x50 long range target is pretty hard to beat especially when you send it into Leupold for the mark 4 m1 turrets...that's about $130.00 plus the price to ship it there. If you shop around you might be able to get it under $1000.00 and you will basically have a mark 4.
Alan

Sightron has a 6-24x that's a great scope for under 1k. the PST's will probably be a great scope but it's hard to recommend one when they havn't been out there yet to see if they live up to the hype!

Brunos has the VX3 30mm matte fine duplex side focus 50mm for under $775. And if you don't need the M1 turrets the target knobs are waterproof without the caps on, just don't have the (cool factor) of the bigger knobs.

+1 on the Ziess. I got one this summer with the z800 reticle and have been very pleased.
I have only practiced with it to 558 yards but has worked very well.
Took a cow elk at 468yards this year, (my longest shot) and would not have tried this with out this scope.

+1 for the zeiss.
+1 for the leupold LR
both would be a suitable choice.
I have the vx-3 in the 6.5-20x40 30mm longrange and am very pleased. I have it in the varmit hunters reticle, and have prarie dog kills at 565yds & 575yds, among hundreds of others:)

Leupy 6.5x20 LR is hard to beat, use two of them and actually replaced one of my beloved S&Bs with one. They dial in correctly and optics are very sharp. Another thing is Leupy service and warrenty is second to none! Just had a retical change on a European scope it cost $550, Leupy want $140 (last time i checked) Shop around, can get on with retical you want for well under 1k on ebay or Bruno.

What's the deal with the M1 turrets? Don't the prevent the cap from screwing on? I like having the security of the caps when bouncing around or packing in with my Rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.