• Nosler Accubond

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Nosler E-Tip

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Something else I should be checking out... please share

Votes: 8 10.0%

• Total voters

wilkup

Just curious what everyones thoughts on this might be having just run several options I'm currently considering through a ballistics program. They're all so close on the numbers side which got me wondering how they may differ when used on various game I plan to shoot. (Roosevelt elk would be my biggest target available)
I'm checking out:
Nosler Accubond and E-Tip
Barnes LRX and Tipped TSX
Hornady SST and GMX
Berger VLD ( on the fence with this round though)
Plan to use the chosen bullet in a 7mm-08 Improved variant and stick to 139-145gr bullets.

There is no one best bullet for everything in my opinion. Each bullet has it's own charachteristics and operating criteria. A lot would depend on what caliber, velocity and distances you intend to shoot at this game.

There is no one best bullet for everything in my opinion. Each bullet has it's own charachteristics and operating criteria. A lot would depend on what caliber, velocity and distances you intend to shoot at this game.
I won't be using this rifle for anything over 750yd. I plan to shoot the four-legged critters I hunt out here - deer, bear, elk and if I'm lucky, a cat. The velocity I'm shooting for is ~3100FPS.
Hope that helps =)

Been using the Bergers for over 8 years now for Elk deer and antelope hunting. Taken and witnessed over 120 + kills, 1/2 of which were elk. No tracking required. I will keep using them.

I agree there is no perfect bullet for all distances any all impact velocities. Know how your bullet of choice works and use that to your best advantage. Then place it well.

Jeff

I'm using LRX, loading TTSX for.my buddy. TSX in autoloaders. TTSX for lighter closer, like 284 with 120gn TTSX.

Made up some CEBs but they are 'reserved'. For special occasion.

I'm using LRX, loading TTSX for.my buddy. TSX in autoloaders. TTSX for lighter closer, like 284 with 120gn TTSX.
I've got a few questions for you:
What round are you shooting these in?
How fast are you pushing them?
What's been their performance on game?

Been shooting Bergers for a couple years now, and been really really happy since I made the switch. I can't see myself going back to a traditional bullet again.

I shoot Bergers in .257, 7mm, & .30 caliber, and upwards of 3,200 fps in several calibers and weights.

I voted TTSX. I live in CA Lead free area so mine might be an outlier. 270wsm. If I could use lead I would explore other bullets for better BC.

The LRX have not taken game for me but the hunt is soon. The loading and shooting is what is working for me. 175 in 300 Wby at 3050, 200 in 300 RUM at 3100fps. The TTSX have taken game to 565 for the 130 in a 270 Wby and 180s to +1200 in the 300 RUM. I am not the shooter, just the loader. TSX to 300 from a 300 WSM.

CEBs is one I have to choose the hunt. Pigs, hogs or exotics.

[FONT=&quot]For my purposes, I prefer both Swift Sciroccos II, the well proven Nosler Partitions and Brenneke TOG. In 7mm/.284 and 8mmS/.323 calibres. As lead-free versions when necessary German Jaguar- or HDB - bullets.[/FONT]

I voted for the Etip as I assume with Roosevelt's you're somewhere on the left coast. Oregon might not require them yet....

In my .308 the Etips have been a little finicky in getting to group consistently. In both mine and my brother's 7mm Rem Mags the 150 Etips are crazy accurate. I'd think in the 7-08 you'd be limited to the 140's. I wish they made a 125gr in .308 as I can't quite get the velocities I think I should out of my .308 with 150 Etips. That said everything we have shot with the Etips has shown great performance.

If I could shoot Berger VLDs I'd probably use nothing else.

SST is my favorite but any of those are a fine bullet. Only problem I've seen with the Barnes is they OP'd on a small buck my buddy got last year but he was pretty close.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.