What is your favorite 7MM REM Mag Load?

Not really, don't care as much about velocity as I've already stated. Your rum is perfectly safe from my rem mag. Not trying to compete. I just looked at the hodgdon sight for the published data on 160gn that 3050 is the max. 160 GR. NOS PART

IMR IMR 4831 .284" 3.600" 76.5 3050 61,000 PSI
Bad powder for a cavern like that--I'd go rl25, rl50, or retumbo. I've used I 5010 and it was good. I've gone to 109 grains with the 7rum with the right powder. Sub 70% fill with 4831 doesn't sit well with not eating a bolt; I'm surprised hodgdon is showing the load. Sierra won't even show data for the 7rum because faster powders were setting lugs back.

Funny thing, was talking with my brother about this subject. He looked up my load in his 1960's speer manual. The suggested max load back then was 72gn IMR4831. Back then I was 5 gn under loaded.:cool:

Guess they weren't as scared of lawyers back then.

Oh yeah and Lefty I have a .243 that humms along at a furious 2450 fps and I'm still confident of my penis size!:D
Ever cast your own rifle bullets?? You'll care a lot less about speed if you do. Trying to get speed with my 375h@h with a 280 cast would be maddening, so I've gone to just below the alloy destruction point where the bullet properly obdurates to fill the bore. It is around 1900 fps and she'll do just over an inch at 100 yards. If I want power I'll go to the 300 tsx at 2550 fps.

My 405 is the maddening one right now-- I'm on the second powder with it with its cast bullets. It puked with 4895, now on to rl7. It is starting to show promise but I haven't had enough time to work that one over while setting up the other four I've gotten this year. Two 270's, a 7stw, and a 35 whelen are taking up just a bit of time lately. I aim for 1 moa to 200 yards with cast bullets using factory blade sights.
Your 7 rem loads are about 5 grains over published cup data from 25 years ago. Hodgdon 26 doesn't go up to 69 grains until you are pitching a 120 with I 4831. Lyman is similar. If you have a loose chamber or warn throat you may be fine, otherwise I'd take a look at strain guages as they may be an awakening.

You don't need a strain gauge to find the threshold of long brass life in a strong rifle.

If you are not an advanced reloader, use published loads.

If you are novice, read more and post less.

You'll care a lot less about speed if you do.
Really? You read anything I wrote. I care nothing about speed!

I think you might though but please don't take it out on my small block that runs smooth and efficient, when your afraid to remove all the smog equipment from your stock big block.

Until tonight I never compared the 7mm's so I didn't know I was stepping on your stw's toes. Sorry. If it makes you feel any better, my truck is probably smaller than yours.:D

A few 7mm Rem Mags have devoured anywhere from 64-67 grains of RL22 with 160 grain bullets and usually, they are accurate as all heck. The 7WSM does just about the same with the same powder. Seems like RL25 and Retumbo would be worth a shot as well.

What bullets are you trying to run in your 7RM? I have a little H870 left, but I wouldn't wanna go to the trouble of working up a good load, only to have about 3Lb's of it left..

You don't need a strain gauge to find the threshold of long brass life in a strong rifle.

If you are not an advanced reloader, use published loads.

If you are novice, read more and post less.
I've been loading about 20 years and I have loosened up one rifle playing your game. When you can get a field guage in you've gone to far. That experience tought me a bit of humility with rifles and I have bought the correct tool for the job since then. Anything short of that and you are a fool and a waste of my time. I'll be seeing you in the Darwin awards one of these days.
I don't appreciate being told to read more and post less either. If you've done more than fooling with excessive loads for a few shots you would know that hotter loads are rarely the best way to accuracy.

Lefty7mmstw,
This is a thread about favorite 7mmRM loads.
We don't need you passing judgment with your worry about "eating a bolt".
Give it a rest.

Lefty7mmstw,
This is a thread about favorite 7mmRM loads.
We don't need you passing judgment with your worry about "eating a bolt".
Give it a rest.
Fair enough; I'll unsubscribe from the thread.
I do wish you the best but wish you would seriously think of re- chambering to a larger round if you really want the speed you've been touting.
I've been running the 7rem for about ten years in both rugers and rems so I've got a bit of a handle on the rem.

I just got done working up one that I'm pretty tickled with.

168gr Matrix VLD
65.2gr RL22
Rem 9 1/2M Primer
Nosler cases
Seated 0.020" off the lands

It has done 1/2" at 100 repeatedly before finding my seating depth with 2 different primers and 1/2" at 200 the other 2 times, now it's time to start taking it out father, see what it can really dogun)
Pardon me, what kind of barrel twist are you using? I've 9.5 twist barrel in 7mm Rem, and wonder if it will stabilize in my rifle.:D

The reason for posting is that I am running out of my lot of H870 (which I like) and want to find something that will be close. H870 has been a great powder, and hoping to get close to the same performance from something similar.

GunBroker has new H870 under reloading supplies for $12.00/lb. Add said it is repackaged from 100 lb drums. By the picture there is 1000's of lbs. I have not bought any and I am not affiliated with the seller in any way.

Pardon me, what kind of barrel twist are you using? I've 9.5 twist barrel in 7mm Rem, and wonder if it will stabilize in my rifle.:D

1 in 10
Unfortunately there's been $20 added to the shipping so it kinda puts them out of my price range till I get some bills paid off, 168gr Berger Classic hunter are showing just as much promise though:)

1 in 10
Unfortunately there's been $20 added to the shipping so it kinda puts them out of my price range till I get some bills paid off, 168gr Berger Classic hunter are showing just as much promise though:)
Thanks Jo for kind and prompt response.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.