What is your favorite .300RUM load?

Brass length won't hurt, as far as max....i started getting pressure signs ay 92.5 with Retumbo, and accuracy fell off..... at 3050 with 91.0, i dont need any more.....if at 92.0 you have NO pressure. maybe try 92.5...i wouldn't jump full grain increments...seating distance from the lands plays a big role in pressure...closer will show signs sooner....rsbhunter

28.5 inch barrel, 91.4 gr Retumbo, 200 gr accubond HBN coated, RP Brass, .005 off the lands, Fed 215m match primers, 3144 fps, 26 fps extreme spread, .5 inch 5 shot group. I also had a very good group with the same load only .013 off the lands, my chrony quit working with this load so I don't know the fps or the extreme spread. In this rifle this is a fairly warm load. Good Thread Thanks

28.5 inch barrel, 91.4 gr Retumbo, 200 gr accubond HBN coated, RP Brass, .005 off the lands, Fed 215m match primers, 3144 fps, 26 fps extreme spread, .5 inch 5 shot group. I also had a very good group with the same load only .013 off the lands, my chrony quit working with this load so I don't know the fps or the extreme spread. In this rifle this is a fairly warm load. Good Thread Thanks
Excuse me for being a dummy, what is HBN coating?

Gone Ballistic,
HBN= hexigonal boron nitride is a white powder similiar to graphite, extremely slippery. Not as dirty as moly. Cleaning your barrel after using it is a breeze, virtually no copper fouling. If you are interested google "HBN coating bullets" several bench rest shooters have articles on how to apply it and what it does and where to buy it.

Gone Ballistic,
HBN= hexigonal boron nitride is a white powder similiar to graphite, extremely slippery. Not as dirty as moly. Cleaning your barrel after using it is a breeze, virtually no copper fouling. If you are interested google "HBN coating bullets" several bench rest shooters have articles on how to apply it and what it does and where to buy it.
Thanks,
That sounds like what the Dr. ordered. I'll give it a try. I appreciate you getting back to me on this.

Your welcome. I neglected to mention the biggest reason I use HBN is I am hoping to extend barrel life as I like to shoot a couple times a week. About 350 rounds this spring. Some shooters are reporting a doubling of barrel life using HBN. I guess we will see.

I know that moly is supposed to do about the same. I read a super article the other day that said heat is the number one cause for reduced barrel life. It stated that to get maximum barrel life you should let your barrel cool down to the ambient temperature after shooting five rounds for group purposes that cause barrel heating. The reduced friction through the use of moly or a like substance should reduce barrrel heat as well, I would assume.

Well, I spent over three hours yesterday and a similar amount of time today reading hundreds of articles about HBN. I must say I'm very impressed. I've even found articles on how to emulsify it in alchohol to lube your barrel with. Bench shooters are claiming they are getting up to 5K rounds out of a barrel before changing it by using the barrel lube mixture and coating their bullets with the stuff. What molecular size are you using on your bullets. It appeared to me that the 70 is the one eeveryones using. It comes in a 1lb minimum for $130.00. This was the cheapest I could find it. I should think that a pound of the stuff would coat way over a million bullets. Where are you getting your HBN and what cost?

A friend of mine who is a chemist and a shooter turned me on to it about a year ago and sent me a bag of the stuff. It is sized 70bn, yes 70 seems to be what everyone is using. He procurred it from a Canadian company. ONe of the articles I read recently, maybe in a forum someone stateside is now selling it in smaller amounts for a lot less money. Try a search on accurate reloading. I can't remember where I read it.
A little bit goes a long way so you don't need much. What I got wouldn't fill a copenhagen can. Two big things I have experienced is reduced cleaning times and the fouling shot is no longer out of the group.

Berger 185 gr.
Nosler Brass, 96 gr. of RL 25
True bc of .691
muzz. vel. 3479 fps
elev. 4000ft = Huskemaw turret to 1100 yds

She is hot! but no ejection mark!

Last edited:
I'm glad I found this forum before I started working up a load for mine. You guys have a lot of good information about this round. Thanks

I couldnt agree more. Its nice to have people that dont mind sharing info. Yall keep up the good work...

200 grain Accucbond
CCI-250
IMR-4350 w/ 80.5 grains
OACL-3.56

3150 out of the barrel

I have a Rem 700 Sendero w/ a 6-24 Vortex Viper FFP and shooting milk jugs @ 1000

In the process of developing a load for the 210- Accubond LR, anyone out there have a good start or results off "Nosler's" recommended loads online?

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.