What is your baseline zero a dial adjustable scope?

what distance do you zero your crosshairs at?

Votes: 82 76.6%

Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 17 15.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
My rifles are zeroed at 200 yds, with my stop set about 1.5 MOA below that. I have found this gives me some latitude on animals that are not going to wait around for me to range or dial. Depending on caliber and load, I know my bullet will hit 1.5" to 2" high at 100 yds. and approx. 6" to 8" low at 300 yds. This works for me when there is no time to do anything else. If I have time and find I need to thread the needle at 100 yds. then I will dial down to my stop.

In the final analysis, most all the practices mentioned above will work. Not everyone thinks the same way whether it is deciding how to solve a math word problem, tying a knot, or even making important life decisions. All will require some brain power for fine tuning at some point. We do this all the time with our windage calculations. I for one, am not at all surprised by the different answers or rationales behind them. Whatever works best for you.

Huh? The reason I sight at 300 is so I don't have to think about anything from about zero to 350 yards.
I began hunting with a standard scope 3x9 Leopold scope, on A 25-o6 rem. Use to sight in 225 yard. That allowed pretty much dead hold out to 300, which was more than enough for my hunting opportunities. Back then I was 26-27 (40+ years ago). All my data came from a reloading book no ballistic calculators that I was aware of, and for sure no I-phones to care around. Dreamed of long distance but pretty ignorant of the reality of it.

Made a huge purchase, for me at the time, of a NXS scope probably 25 years ago, then a BR range finder, and wooo did my world open up. Been great fun ever since. With (3) Nightforce and a couple Vortex and one Atholon dial up is the only way. Sight in at 100, and like the guy said everything goes up from there.

Good luck to all.

Depends on caliber for me. Most are 100 yard zero for dialing purposes. But…. We were always taught that a zero at a 100 should be 1.5" high so that a 25 or 50 yard shot wouldn't be super low and 200 would be about zeroed. I have a question on here for the members who zero at 300, I know this depends on the caliber and projectile, but how low do they hit at 25 yards? Some of my flatter shooters at 1.5" high at 100 hit 2" low or lower at 25 yards. Depending on game it may matter when after the smaller critters. Just curious…

Last edited:
I have to say I am surpised at the responses. I usually zero between 210-220. The exact distance is dependent on the load but the parameters are no more than a 2.5 inch rise inside of the zero range and no more than 2,5 inch drop at 250. That way I know inside of 250 there is nothing to adjust for and I am usualy less than 48 clicks out to 600.
Exactly, look at the ballistics & adjust accordingly.

However, I don't readjust the scope - I'd rather use a "christmas tree" reticle. Changing the aimpoint using the reticle is faster than turning the dial for me.

The amount of rise/drop I'll accept depends on what I'm using the rifle. For example for my .22LR is much tighter because +/- 2.5" is a bit much for squirrels & bunnies.

Sight in at 100, set zero stop and the then spin to 2.5" and carry. Can hold on hair out to 300 and I tape a drop chart on my stock that I trust to 400yds, then I can spin according to my Revic BR4.

I have to say I am surpised at the responses. I usually zero between 210-220. The exact distance is dependent on the load but the parameters are no more than a 2.5 inch rise inside of the zero range and no more than 2,5 inch drop at 250. That way I know inside of 250 there is nothing to adjust for and I am usualy less than 48 clicks out to 600.
Exactly what I do on all my rifles.only difference is on my predator rifles I set max to 2 inch rise and fall. That gives me a 4" kill zone . I can hold dead on out to 280 on my coyote rifle. Who wants to adjust a scope when hunting?

most rifles zeroed at 300 are around 2" high at 100, not enough to worry about for hunting.
Mostly true. Some a little more. Also mostly true is that the bullet will rise another couple of inches before it crosses the 300 yard zero.
Lots of variables in this discipline.

Depends on caliber for me. Most are 100 yard zero for dialing purposes. But…. We were always taught that a zero at a 100 should be 1.5" high so that a 25 or 50 yard shot wouldn't be super low and 200 would be about zeroed. I have a question on here for the members who zero at 300, I know this depends on the caliber and projectile, but how low do they hit at 25 yards? Some of my flatter shooters at 1.5" high at 100 hit 2" low or lower at 25 yards. Depending on game it may matter when after the smaller critters. Just curious…

To be brutally honest…..I'm not certain! I'll have to find out! 🤔

I do know that I've never had problems making head shots on Grouse when hunting…..but, those shots are generally under 10 yards, likely closer to 5 - 7 yards! For those shots…..I just place the crosshairs about an inch over my intended impact point! Dead Grouse with zero meat loss! 😉 memtb