What is the Perfect Hunting Scope?

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I have no hands on experience with the scopes you have listed but they are awesome scopes and most would be pleased to have them and I do not think you can go wrong with any of them. The quest for the so called "perfect scope" is relative as each end-users are different with varying requirements.

Your set budget will give you lots of alternative choices. Do you have any preferences, SFP or FFP, magnification, range, weight, reticle, illuminated/non-illuminated, etc? This criteria will help in the recommendation process.

Good luck!

Ed
SFP for hunting reasons. Most of the ATACR are SFP and I have shot some rifles with them moounted on top. Nightforce weight does concern me, but most of y'all on here are out west and a lot of people out that way swear by them. I have no reference or comparison usage for a scope like this. I live in southern TX and most hunting here is done from pickup, ATV or blind. And shots around 300 would be the longest.

I would like 5-25 magnification. Budget is not an issue. I have saved up to rig out my rifle with whatever seems to be best option (don't tell the wife lol). I would like illumination for low light hunting conditions. Reticle doesn't really matter, I'm not too picky about that.

I guess you could say glass, reliability and weight would be what I'm looking at.

Have the march 2.5-25x52, think its pretty awesome right now. Also have the Zeiss v6 3-18x50, also good so far. Nightforces dial for sure but are a fair weather scope in my opinion. Hunted with one in the rain my first season of having one and couldn't shoot anything 30yds in front of me after a couple minutes. My brother had his leupold next to me and you could still see easily due to the coatings. I wouldn't buy a leupold either due to they just don't dial.
Yes sir. Not a Leupold fan for whatever reason. You couldn't see through the nightforce in the rain? Which nightforce was it?

SFP for hunting reasons. Most of the ATACR are SFP and I have shot some rifles with them moounted on top. Nightforce weight does concern me, but most of y'all on here are out west and a lot of people out that way swear by them. I have no reference or comparison usage for a scope like this. I live in southern TX and most hunting here is done from pickup, ATV or blind. And shots around 300 would be the longest.

I would like 5-25 magnification. Budget is not an issue. I have saved up to rig out my rifle with whatever seems to be best option (don't tell the wife lol). I would like illumination for low light hunting conditions. Reticle doesn't really matter, I'm not too picky about that.

I guess you could say glass, reliability and weight would be what I'm looking at.

You will have to decide on the best compromise for your intended purpose. Personally, scope weight is not an issue for me.

I've had a few NSXs and like them alright--but own one now and it is setting off a gun right now.

I like the bushnell tact elite scope for my dollar-- they are discontinued now but the LRHS were excellent scopes and pretty low profile, capped windage, A little heavy, but dialed excellent. I also have a DMR I like for hunting it's gen 2 knob is lower profile than the first generation.

Leupold I have not had as foul of luck with as others on this forum. I have 2 LRPs and they have dialed true as can be (i hate the elevation knob--but good scope for the price). I just purchased a Mark 5, but have not mounted it--it looks to be a nice scope and weight included might be close to perfect. I like the power range (3.6x18), and the elevation dial height. It has a capped windage which if your a hunter should be a plus. I really like the G2 style reticle of the bushnell but I can stand the TMR. I'm not crazy about the 35 mm tube...that is why it is not mounted so far.

My other scopes... I have one Swarovski X5 excellent scope--I like second focal plane for hunting, but the dang knobs are huge and to set your zero stop the first time-you need a degree in engineering. My wife has a Z5 with BT and it has been a fine scope and served her well--but it ranges out to about 400 yards with her settings. Plenty good for 90% of all hunting situations. I'd really like to try a Z8 but my frugal German upbringing keeps me from laying out the $2,600+ for a scope.

I have a SB PM II great scope--does not belong on a hunting rifle.

Nightforce NSX--one of the first long range scopes I bought--still use it as a slave scope to help get stuff dialed in. It is a MOA scope so took it out of rotation. Glass quality is poor to my eye with the above mentioned scopes.

Just my two centavos

I've had a few NSXs and like them alright--but own one now and it is setting off a gun right now.

I like the bushnell tact elite scope for my dollar-- they are discontinued now but the LRHS were excellent scopes and pretty low profile, capped windage, A little heavy, but dialed excellent. I also have a DMR I like for hunting it's gen 2 knob is lower profile than the first generation.

Leupold I have not had as foul of luck with as others on this forum. I have 2 LRPs and they have dialed true as can be (i hate the elevation knob--but good scope for the price). I just purchased a Mark 5, but have not mounted it--it looks to be a nice scope and weight included might be close to perfect. I like the power range (3.6x18), and the elevation dial height. It has a capped windage which if your a hunter should be a plus. I really like the G2 style reticle of the bushnell but I can stand the TMR. I'm not crazy about the 35 mm tube...that is why it is not mounted so far.

My other scopes... I have one Swarovski X5 excellent scope--I like second focal plane for hunting, but the dang knobs are huge and to set your zero stop the first time-you need a degree in engineering. My wife has a Z5 with BT and it has been a fine scope and served her well--but it ranges out to about 400 yards with her settings. Plenty good for 90% of all hunting situations. I'd really like to try a Z8 but my frugal German upbringing keeps me from laying out the $2,600+ for a scope.

I have a SB PM II great scope--does not belong on a hunting rifle.

Nightforce NSX--one of the first long range scopes I bought--still use it as a slave scope to help get stuff dialed in. It is a MOA scope so took it out of rotation. Glass quality is poor to my eye with the above mentioned scopes.

Just my two centavos
Preciate it Aoudad

My favorite scope for hunting is the ATACR 4-16x42F1 and the 4-15x50 ATACR would be my choice if needing second focal.
The scope I own the most number of on hunting rifles and various AR's is the NXS 3.5-15x50. Not the glass quality and turret feel of the ATACR's mentioned but really nice scopes and probably just as dependable.
The 5-25x56 ATACR's are pretty large scopes on a hunting rifle. A lot of people run them and I have too in the past on pronghorn hunts but have never felt like I needed more than 15x scope for a shot on a elk.

I know a few guys who have gone away from Leupold and have been buying SWAFA SS scopes I think I spelled it right but not sure. Anyway they are tuff as nails and the dials are reported as being very accurate. They are FFP and a little on the heavy side but one guy accidentally ran over his rifle and scope with his truck and the scope never lost zero. Lots of models to choose from and reticles.

My favorite scope for hunting is the ATACR 4-16x42F1 and the 4-15x50 ATACR would be my choice if needing second focal.
The scope I own the most number of on hunting rifles and various AR's is the NXS 3.5-15x50. Not the glass quality and turret feel of the ATACR's mentioned but really nice scopes and probably just as dependable.
The 5-25x56 ATACR's are pretty large scopes on a hunting rifle. A lot of people run them and I have too in the past on pronghorn hunts but have never felt like I needed more than 15x scope for a shot on a elk.
Thank you cattle. You think the ATACR is too heavy? How is glass on ATACR versus NXS or SHV? Glass on ATACR versus Swaro, Kahles, March?

If price is not a problem I would be looking at the top end 6 and 8 times zoom scopes. The reason for this is I personally like a low 2 or 3 x starting point on my hunting scopes. My favorite hunting scope right now is my Swaro z6 3x18-50. This scope is clear no matter what power you have it on. The only down fall of it is I do not have the adjustable turrets for easy field use. I think a lot of the guys when saying Ziess are refering to the conquest line but if I were you I would look at their top of the line models. The new ones in 8x zoom are very nice and I believe have 34mm tubes like the Night Force. Good luck and the scope you need is out there and the guys here will help you decide but in the end it will be up to you and your preference.

I know a few guys who have gone away from Leupold and have been buying SWAFA SS scopes I think I spelled it right but not sure. Anyway they are tuff as nails and the dials are reported as being very accurate. They are FFP and a little on the heavy side but one guy accidentally ran over his rifle and scope with his truck and the scope never lost zero. Lots of models to choose from and reticles.
Thanks. I have looked at the SWFA scopes. They might be an option

If price is not a problem I would be looking at the top end 6 and 8 times zoom scopes. The reason for this is I personally like a low 2 or 3 x starting point on my hunting scopes. My favorite hunting scope right now is my Swaro z6 3x18-50. This scope is clear no matter what power you have it on. The only down fall of it is I do not have the adjustable turrets for easy field use. I think a lot of the guys when saying Ziess are refering to the conquest line but if I were you I would look at their top of the line models. The new ones in 8x zoom are very nice and I believe have 34mm tubes like the Night Force. Good luck and the scope you need is out there and the guys here will help you decide but in the end it will be up to you and your preference.
Yes sir Mr Bill. Thanks for the input. I have two Z5's and like them. But want something with good turrets like the Z6.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.