What is the MOST FUSSY cartridge...and LEAST?

Easiest for me has been a 7RM and a 6 CM. JUST STUPID EASY TO LOAD FOR.
Now a bit fussy is my 300 BO AR build. While for me this is a 150 yard gun and trying to get sub moa is testing my patience a bit. But even at 1 moa I still am happy.
My best load is proving to be .8
But I do so love the 300 BO super sonic. No subs here

Was it built or factory rifle 26 nos.??
I want to add one in the future or 6.5x300 bee
Factory rifle,Nosler 48. It isn't the rifle, as long as I use ball powder it is fine, stick powder tends to powder bridge. It seems to like WC870 which I have a LOT of. I think the 27 Nos is a better cartridge. I have a 270-300WM which is a great cartridge and easily outperforms the 26 Nosler and isn't fussy on powder.

By far the most fussy has been loading for .243. Never have I seen more keyholing, and at times couldn't even get on paper. Different rifles. Very picky in my experience. If I was ever asked to load for another, I'd decline.

By far the easiest, across different rifles, has been 6.5CM. Different bullets, powders, all will shoot. Whether 120TTSX, 120 Sierra BT, 130gr Nosler AB, 127TTSX, 140 Match or 143ELDX, with RL16, RL17, H4350, or 65Staball, they shot clover leafs to 1/2 MOA. Always a pleasure to load for a 65CM.

I'd add 30-06 to the 'easy' list as well. 308 has been generally ok, but I have had some struggles with 308 above 65CM or 30-06.

Last edited:
Very open ended question. What is a satisfactory group? I find that over the past 50 or so years what is a good group has changed a bunch. For me multiple .243's Colt, Ruger #1, Rem 700 and enough others that the wife strongly recommended I never bring home another. (Grand sons Weatherby is around 1" with several loads) Easy 300 Win mag. Ruger #1 and several others. 6mm BR, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Creed in numerous rifles, .223 again in many different platforms. One of the most inconsistent rounds although in only one example .220 Swift. Hornady has really found the easy button with their later designs.

There is no differences between calibers. There is a huge difference between rifle design, chamber dimensions, barrel quality, and how it is all put together.
I routinely test 308 win, 300 Win Mag, 300 PRC and 300 Norma Mag using Berger Bullets in our 300 meter test tunnel from fixed machine rests, they all shoot sub 1/2 MOA with little or no load development.

Let's go down the rabbit hole. What is the most fussy cartridge you've ever had to deal with? You eventually got it to shoot acceptably but with much heartache and effort or maybe only shooting 1 particular load acceptably and shotgunning all others.

On the flip, whats the cartridge you found that can do no wrong? Whatever you throw together shoots well and just plain makes it looks easy.
While I do think certain cartridges are designed inherently better regarding accuracy (6BR, the PPC's, etc), I think it's more the chamber/barrel/action/bullet interaction that makes a rifle either picky or a hammer.

Fussy: M700 300 RUM got .75 and rest was 1.5" ish but was with only one powder haven't had much time to mess with it.
Easiest:M700 CDL 280 rem couple different loads went .25" or better rest were .5" ish. Factory out of this was 1"-1.25".

Like you my R700 in 300 RUM has been the most difficult. Probably because it is a light mountain rifle with a pencil barrel.
Many others were easy but the Ruger American amazed me with .5 MOA groups right out of the box. 6 CM. Go figure. Factory Hornady ammo so far. I will see if J can improve that with my reloads.

Based on what I have seen at the Bench Rest Matches, 6mm PPC requires lots of fussing. Base of Bullet to OGIVE very important !! Fire forming and using powders to load at the range Based on my personal experience, the 30 -06 is very simple and easy to load, and at moderate ranges,( 50 to 200 yards ) there is very little difference between 55.5 , 55.7 and 56.0 grns. of IMR 4530 with a 165 Grn. Horn SST Deer Load. My 20 inch BBL 30-06 shoots very well at 100 yards with 55.7grns. Plenty of velocity and energy at 200 yards , if ever a shot that far should present itself. ( Not Yet) My friend s 24 inch BBL, shoots very well at 100 yards with 56.0 Grns. of 4350 , again with plenty of energy at 200. Average shots at his farm 50 to 100 yards. My rifle like 3.340 COAL, both friends 30-06 require 3.280 . Lots of 100 yard Bullseyes. Completely adequate East Coast Whitetail Deer Load, simple and easy !!!