What is the best LR option in an AR15?

dwhunts

Sorry if this is one of those questions some of you get tired of seeing... All I can say is "one should never get tired of giving someone else knowledge." I'm looking for a 600 yard AR 15 for 200 to 300 lb whitetail. The .300 OSSM looks cool, I just wish there was a 6.5 or 7mm option there. Again though, I would like the advise of someone with more experience. I have 14 years of military and law enforcement, so I am not inexperienced with the AR, but these newly available calibers leave me guessing. Any help is always greatly appreciated. I know this kind of performance is easily achievable in an AR 10, but if it comes to that, I'll just stick to my bolt guns.

P.S. I like to hit a deer with about 1000 preferably 1200 ft-lbs. So I don't think the Grendel is gonna get it done. I think one of the SSM's is going to be my only option, but that's why I'm posing the question.

Last edited:
You're going to have a tough time getting those numbers in a AR 15 platform. The Grendel is about your best bet for long range without moving into the WSSMs (which are known for having short barrel life, feeding issues, etc). I'm a big fan of the 6.8SPC, but again, it's got nowhere near the energy you're looking for. Your best bet is to move into an AR 10, then the sky's the limit, but they're a bit heavier.

Yeah, I kinda figured that. I suspected the feeding issues with the WSSM's. I thought somebody might know something I didn't.

LMTs MWS the system comes in 243, 6.5 creedmore, 260 rem, 308 winchester and 338 federal. If you dont see a caliber you like there is a company who will make any AR barrel compatable with the MWS system. Im not sure at of right now but LMT did use Mike Rock barrels. Additional they will give a LE officer special pricing and they can be found around the net new for about 2300$

Home page

the conversion
MRP barrel conversion

Hope it hels a little

Do you guys think the 6.5 Grendel from a 24'' barrel could get it done on a whitetail at 600 yards? What I'm coming up with is about 790 ft-lbs at 600. I think with a thin skinned match bullet like the A-max or Berger I could live with that. At 500 it'll be just under a 1000 ft-lbs. And if I'm honest, where I hunt, if a man can get within 600, most of the time he can get 100 yards closer without much difficulty. We are talking about "hunting" after all. Hell, if I want to set back at 1000 or more, I have other rifles for that. What do you think?

I wanted to do the same and set up a 500-600 yard rig for deer/hogs. I ended up going with a Remington R-25 in 7mm-08 and am satisfied with the result. It's not an AR-15 platform, bulkier and heavier, but with 140 BT or SST's at 2825 FPS it's just shy of 1000ft/pds at 600 yards and holds .5 MOA. Remington builds the R-25 on a DPMS which is owned by the parent company. Feeds and functions reliably. Have a 3.5x 10x MK 4 mounted on it.

DW,
I have a 6.5 Sporter which is basically a Grendel by another name. With a 16 inch barrel and H-335 I get 2,600 fps with the 120 Sierra MK without expanding the primer pockets. The mags allow the Sierras to be set out to an OAL of 2.270. I use Win 7.62x39 brass to get the LR primers and a harder case. If you can get 2,700 with a longer barrel, according to my calculations you can get 800 ft pounds of energy at 500 yards with the 120gr combination.

Arne on the Grendel forum (he actually invented the cartridge) claims the 107gr Sierra MK is the ticket for long range as it can do 3,050 fps and by my calculations, indicates a reading of ft pounds of energy at 940 if that is true. Now Arne claims the 107 is devastating on wild hogs, which it should be.

Here is something to keep in mind, the 6.5 Grendel has a case capacity of 35gr of H2O with a case length of 1.52 inches. That is the same case capacity as the 6.5 BR. By using the 7.62x39 as its parent case you get a good bit more usable capacity by seating the bullets out of the case when you are restricted by the mag length. This is where the 7.62 based cases have an edge over the 223 based cases in the mag fed guns.
Ed

Thanks Locknload, that's good info. I've been considering an Alexander Arms, either the 24'' barrel, or the Grendel Sniper Rifle. I just don't know if the GSR is worth the extra money. It's twice the price, but lots of superior components, and a 28" barrel option. There is something to be said though, for the way you went, 16" barrel and keep it light for good fast handling. What do you think? There could be better options than the Alexander Arms. The Les Bear AR for example. Any thoughts you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

I went with the Model 1 version as the 6.5 Sporter using the Shaw barrel. They had a little special going at Tulsa and I got the flat top low gas block upper with matching bolt and two 10 round mags for $400. The Shaw is a 1-9 twist but it works even with the 160s in my sub sonic loads.

Make very sure to get a barrel bolt combination, regardless and I use Redding dies for my type I bolt.
Ed

The 264 LBC is another option in the Grendel. I have 264 LBC chambered AR that eats 107 matchkings. I purchased my barrel and bolt from http://www.ar15performance.com/264lbc

I'm not a big fan of Alexander since the trademark fiasco and they have funky non standard muzzle threads, which limits the available muzzle attachments, direct thread suppressors, and muzzle attachments utilized with suppressors. The suppressor world utilizes 5/8x24. AA threads there's with 9/16x24 and they won't use anything different.

The 264 LBC is another option in the Grendel. I have 264 LBC chambered AR that eats 107 matchkings. I purchase my barrel and bolt from 264LBC

I'm not a big fan of Alexander since the trademark fiasco and they have funky non standard muzzle threads, which limit the available muzzle attachments, direct thread suppressors, and muzzle attachments unilized with suppressors. The suppressor world utilizes 5/8x24. AA threads his 9/16x24 and they won't use anything different.

I thought the same thing, about AA. It upset me that this great cartridge was being held back by the guy who should be its greatest champion. I've been looking at the Les Bear stuff. I don't know if I should go with the Varmint or Match, but I know it's hard to beat a 1/2 MOA guarantee. The muzzle thread issue is not a big deal "to me", but does seam typical of AA. I don't know the guy personally, but he seams like a "my way or no way" kind of guy. See the quote below, to see what I think of those types... Thank you for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts