What is long range to you?

yardage an caliber/cartridage

• Total voters
I got strangely excited yesterday when I threaded a shot between a tiny opening in the woods and got a crow at 125 yards while kneeling offhand.

This entire thread has me curious why I got so excited about a relatively close shot on an animal that means nothing to me? It just felt good I suppose...

I got strangely excited yesterday when I threaded a shot between a tiny opening in the woods and got a crow at 125 yards while kneeling offhand.

This entire thread has me curious why I got so excited about a relatively close shot on an animal that means nothing to me? It just felt good I suppose...
You got excited because you made a good shot and you should feel good about it.

It should feel great! You made a good shot and you eradicated one "coyote of the sky"!

Close range is when the wife is in the vehicle when she finds out that we are stopping at the gun shop/friends/gun show to pick up another gun....

Long range is when she calls me at the gun show and I mention that I just bought another toy....

Either way, if I could shoot to kill as good as some of the looks I have gotten I don't think there's a scope, rifle or load capable of that kind of accuracy or power!!!

Any difficult shot made, is a shot to be proud of. The shot difficulty determines whether it's long range! A 50 yard shot when picking a tiny opening, is often much more difficult than a long shot under ideal conditions. I've seen or had to help pack out several head of big game shot be my wife at around 400 yards. But, the two she's most proud of were a bit closer. #1 favorite - a cow elk @about 160 ish, on a bench below, in rather thick timber. The group of elk only resembled partial shadows moving around down below. She went to prone ( no bipod) on the edge of the bench she was on, picked a very small gap (about 4 to 6 inches wide) between trees, waited for an elk to put a shoulder in that gap. #2 favorite - antelope @ only 200 yards, she quickly got out of the truck, and made a "snap" offhand shot as the buck was about to go behind the finger of a ridge between them. That quick shot put her second antelope buck on the wall pushing 17". memtb

Last edited:
For me it all depends the target and style

600 yard steel buffalo is long for off hand

300 yd ground squirrel is a fair shot for 17 hmr on bipod

That steel buffalo had better be way out shooting off a bench
This topic has already been answered! It depends on what gun you are shooting as to what is a long distance for it. And also what is a long shot for an off had shot, with any gun ! Each gun has its own capabilities, but in the end when long distance is mentioned, regardless of the guns or how they are being shot, it still comes down to yardage in the end as to why it is a long shot, yardages can differ greatly and still be considered long range or a long shot under those conditions or using a certain cartridge !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.