What is everyone favorite caliber for deer?

I like my 3 inch deck guns I just can't find the deer after I shoot them
IMG_20200310_101138.jpg

I was and always will be a 270 win fan. However the last few years I bought into the 6.5 Creed hype and have used one on several hogs, deer, mule deer, antelope and elk. I have to say it works as long as you do your job.

Thinking of building another 270 win though as it is my favorite.
I always enjoy taking a 257 Roberts 6,5/55 or 7/57 all the old farts like me in camp think its cool and the young guys have never even heard of them most times

I always enjoy taking a 257 Roberts 6,5/55 or 7/57 all the old farts like me in camp think its cool and the young guys have never even heard of them most times
Col. Whelen said the best all around North American big game cartridges was the 257 Roberts and the 270 Win. He also said you can't go wrong with the 30-06. He also seen the purpose and need for medium and large bore rifles. Witch lead him and James Howe to develop the 35 and 400 Whelen, and when built right they preform prefect.

264 win mag, 338 rcm, and 375 ruger. Don't laugh about the 375. Load it with 265 grain cast bullets and 44 grains of 5744, and it is about equal in power or slightly less than my 50 cal muzzleloader.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.