What is a Really Good Hunting Knife

Made in Germany Puma's.
I still buy the old Puma Lieutenant with the stamped not etched blade. Single blade lock blade holds edge extremely well, and I have butchered countless deer and several elk with mine. Usually can find them for around a hundred bucks, and worth every penny. I think I own nine of them lol, some are like new, some are well used, and I still use them. Carry one in my pocket most every day. Haven't found much need for one at church, but other than that I keep one handy.

Just for discussion, the guide on our caribou hunt in AK skinned out all 3 animals with a Swiss Army knife; said he was less likely to get a nick in the hide. He butchered all 3 with my Puma Original Bowie, though, and was amazed it was still sharp. He had teased me about the "big knife" but ended up a believer.

Well, after 50 plus years of hunting and couple hundred whitetail and mule deer later, I made a move almost 15 years ago to what has far and long exceeded my expectations. I have and still own a Buck folder, old Schrade folder, CRT, Fixed Schrade, a custom knife, Wyoming Skinner, and a host of others. I tried on a knee jerk reaction a little knife with replaceable blades from Havalon. Was getting frustrated with the need to sharpen all the time and the plethora of sharpening methods i bought or were given. Just thought it came with the territory.

Started with the Piranta and now carry it and their hydra, a two blade replaceable, as well. One end has a Piranta sized gut hook blade the other has the larger hunting knife blade. First year I used that little knife I field dressed 5 deer, skinned those 5 plus another 5 and then quartered all of them before I changed the blade. Havalon has long made surgical scalpels also used quite a bit in the taxidermy industry. Will it chop a branch, pry or chop bone, no. It will however never cause me hand fatigue and is so dang lite I don't even know I'm carrying it.

WARNING!! - It is a surgical scalpel in your hand. All of us have made mistakes with knives that have cost us a stitch or two. The Havalon is so sharp you'll be down to bone before you ever realize it!!

I carry about 4 different blades, from the standard, to a larger blade for bigger game, to a filet and a gut hook. All fits well into a small case and the blades are very reasonable. Have I broken a blade, yep, and every time it's my fault. Most of the time I'm trying to hurry instead of taking my time. They also work great if your doing the gutless method of field dressing. Oh, I also carry a Sagen Saw should the need arise.

It's so lite, it allows me to carry a heavier rifle!

REMEMBER, YMMV (your mileage may vary)!!

I also carry a havalon piranta. I do carry a fixed blade buck alpha in s30v steel. But between the 2 i use the havalon the most. I by my blades online in boxes of 100... When i do a guided hunt in the back country, I always take an extra box of blades to hand to my guides...They go thru them... I have quite a few different fixed blade knives at home, But i like the alpha hunters and the mini alphas... They dont make them any more, but you can find them on the secondary market. And pay attention to the blade material. The cheap ones will be a carbon steel...You want to find the s30v, or Bos 154 steels...

I expect to pay between $100 and $200 each for a good knife, since many have asked about budget.
You may have to do a little shopping but keep in mind that the better blade materials cost more. Look for S30v, CPM-S35vn, or s90v, CPM3v, ATS34 these all hold an edge much better.
Here's one that's available. https://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-Woodsman-Pro-Fixed-Blade-Knife--120374
Also shop knivesshipfree and dlt trading. They have search filters and fair pricing.

These are some a buck ergo Hunter a Rapid river and a very old Olsen was my Grandfathers

Attachments

• IMG_20231107_151624.jpg
    IMG_20231107_151624.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20231107_151535.jpg
    IMG_20231107_151535.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20231107_151453.jpg
    IMG_20231107_151453.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 20
I know you said no folders, but here is a relatively inexpensive item that is incredibly useful for outdoor use, its made by gerber and is a money clip, it comes with a replaceable utility box cutter blade, but when paired with a utility hook blade/gut hook, found at most hardware stores, it makes almost all the necessary cuts for field dressing quick clean and easy, and works very well for the initial cuts for caping out game animals, you can find them for around 12 to 15 dollars.

Attachments

• 71yzU5xXLdL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    71yzU5xXLdL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 61ZwejnaiZL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    61ZwejnaiZL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 20
I also like the havalon knives but I use the scalper Handels because there are no nooks and crannies to get stuff stuck in the fit the guthook blade and the #15 blade just fine and cleanup is easy I had the folder but it gets crap and blood stuck in it so it's hard to clean the handle are done in about 30 seconds

The only one I wouldn't likely choose is the paracord handle one. Once dipped in blood and guts it will never be clean again, and if I removed the cord, I don't like skeleton grips.

I am actually going to carry that on a paracord lanyard around my neck under my jacket or shirt. I had no intention to use it as a skinning or deboning knife.

MKC will replace the paracord and sharpen the knife for its life.

IMG_1703.jpeg

Recent Posts