What gun would you want if the SHTF?

While firearms was the driving factor on this topic, it also drifted off into survival topics other than firearms…..you're welcome. 😉

If anyone is interested in reading a pretty realistic SHTF scenario, get the 3 book series by William R. Forstchen: one Second After, One Year After, and Five Years After.

I see it as a pretty good series depicting how quickly our world as we know it can change……literally in One Second. The next two books give a very believable look at how mankind survives and attempts to start over in the years following that event! Truly sobering look at how difficult it is to rebuild civilization. memtb

It's a New Day in AMERICA, APRIL 30 2024. Now Ask yourself "WHAT" would you bring, carry (IF) SHTF! For now the SITTF (the s—t is now hitting the fan). You have Allowed this, and now Try to stop this, without BLOOD FLOWING KNEE DEEP IN THE STREETS OF AMERICA! You have backed the communist in the Schools to Teach, in Congress to (Rule), and have done nothing! Not even voting for America!
Where has MY America gone to?😢😢😢😢

These types of threads are always good entertainment. Between the tinfoilists that think they're going to take on a tyrannical govt single handedly with their poormetto AR while scavenging ammo and resources off the bodies of the fallen and the armchair survivalists who think they're just going to vanish into the woods and live off the land with a 22 when society collapses along with millions of people with the same idea, I don't know who is more out of touch with the reality of what would happen in these situations.

You better either have a huge community of people around you with the same ideas and excellent resources, or live in a harsh invironment where nobody in their right mind would flock to and and know **** well how to survive in it. Otherwise it would just turn into a blood bath of every man for themselves and order would further fall apart.

Was having a BS session today tearing down our elk camp about what gun we would want if the s*#% hit the fan. We figured a gun that could shoot to 800 yards reliably would be the ticket and it would have to have a decent magazine system.

I was thinking I'd go buy a Remington 700 Police in 308 and have a detachable mag system installed with a few 10 rd mags then stick a 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 on it...mostly because that would about drain my savings right now. :D

How about everyone else?

I hope this hasn't been posted before.
.22 lr and a can.

Another very realistic book by Forstchen…….Day of Wrath. Terrorists strike all across America in planned, simultaneous attacks! Again…..pretty realistic!

Another good one…..48 Hours. Earth is hit by a major CME/Solar Flare rivaling the strength of The Carrington Event. memtb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event

Last edited:
While firearms was the driving factor on this topic, it also drifted off into survival topics other than firearms…..you're welcome. 😉

If anyone is interested in reading a pretty realistic SHTF scenario, get the 3 book series by William R. Forstchen: one Second After, One Year After, and Five Years After.

I see it as a pretty good series depicting how quickly our world as we know it can change……literally in One Second. The next two books give a very believable look at how mankind survives and attempts to start over in the years following that event! Truly sobering look at how difficult it is to rebuild civilization. memtb

I've read the first two, but I haven't read the third. There are several books on survival of all types, and while many focus on conflict, I prefer books that actually teach the day to day routines, wild food and medicinal sources, water and purification, trapping, tracking, survival building, 1001 uses books, Fox Fire series, etc, etc.

Over the decades, I have read many of these and still have most in my collection, and for a time, I also put a lot of their teachings into practice to hone my skills. Most survival situs will not revolve around direct armed conflict, and if it does, it will be short. Either you live and evade to more peaceful surroundings, or you perish early on. Thus, I like to focus on the daily living parts and its requirements vs large scale combat like a soldier in war. Not that I don't have that covered also.