What do you use to level the reticle?

If your rifle barrel is not aligned with the spine straight up or down all of this is moot. I have seen very few factory rifles that have the spine aligned correctly. You need to align the scope to the barrel not the receiver. The only consideration for scope alignment to the receiver is muscle memory for long shots.

Mram10us you asked what do I use a rifle vise for.
To hold the rifle still for scope mounting,cleaning and if something needs lapping that is where I do it,any repairs,pillar bedding rifle or just action bedding,to remove action from stock for any work like adjusting triggers,replace triggers.
A neighbor had a rough spot on his Savage bolt raceway and I was able to put it in the vise and lapp the raceway and got it smooth as a Savage can be.
I also use the vise to keep rifle still while checking headspace with go no go guages.
I have lapped many barrels on that rifle vise.
My neighbor borrows it to clean his rifle and his wife's rifle as well as both kids.
I have limited space unless I go to the garage which is pretty cold right now so a vise gives me a solid holding spot for my rifles.
When I was younger I worked Monday-Friday at me regular job and evenings and weekends I worked for a gunsmith and had a home made vise to hold rifles for many gunsmithing things.
I need one but many has never owned one.
Old Rooster

Mram10us you asked what do I use a rifle vise for.
To hold the rifle still for scope mounting,cleaning and if something needs lapping that is where I do it,any repairs,pillar bedding rifle or just action bedding,to remove action from stock for any work like adjusting triggers,replace triggers.
A neighbor had a rough spot on his Savage bolt raceway and I was able to put it in the vise and lapp the raceway and got it smooth as a Savage can be.
I also use the vise to keep rifle still while checking headspace with go no go guages.
I have lapped many barrels on that rifle vise.
My neighbor borrows it to clean his rifle and his wife's rifle as well as both kids.
I have limited space unless I go to the garage which is pretty cold right now so a vise gives me a solid holding spot for my rifles.
When I was younger I worked Monday-Friday at me regular job and evenings and weekends I worked for a gunsmith and had a home made vise to hold rifles for many gunsmithing things.
I need one but many has never owned one.
Old Rooster
Definitely worth it if you use it for that much

70400F02-6DA8-4372-ADF0-AA7E008EF6BE.jpeg
70400F02-6DA8-4372-ADF0-AA7E008EF6BE.jpeg
I use the wheeler Pro. I put the bar level on a pic rail. Then put the barrel level on. Once those two match up I put my scope on and put the bar level on my scope cap and match it to the barrel level.

Last edited:
Tag. Good info. I'll post my method later. It's a combination of three I have read here. If only to 300 yards do what makes you feel good, after that you need to be spot on.

There is a lot to do when leveling and mounting a scope properly. I fixed this for a friend who had Cabela's and some other place mount and level his scope. I'm not a fan of the scope rings but this is what he wanted. I like to use 20 MOA pic rails and Better rings. The Leopold PRW rings work great and are only around $55 a set.

Use a plumb bob.

Yup, that is the only tool I need. Mine is a 1/2" pipe fitting tied on heavy, dark line that I chalk intermittently for visibility in the scope. When I can crank up 30 moa and shoot a group that is exactly vertical over the control group, I'm done. Gadgets will you close, but then so does my eye (making the reticle point at the center of the bore).

When I've got the scope on straight I install a scope level to allow me to make sure that I always keep the scope level when shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.