What cartridge?

I think you need the 27 nosler....
New hammer bullets.....
I have a couple 65284...and a 26nosler..no brake needed...i think it takes 13 or 14 moa to hit at 1000yd.....and it's only shooting at 3200fps....140acc....lots of moa left on that scope to play with out a long ways.....
I doubt you would need a brake on the 27....
I like the sounds of the 27 Nosler but too new. I would like to know barrel life and have options for brass.

I'm looking for recommendations to research. Not going to pick one just because someone recommended it. There's just a lot to choose from and need a little help narrowing it down as well as hearing what people have to say about their recommendations. Barrel life, brass availability, etc.. Thanks to some posts I've been doing a lot of reading up on 280 AI, 7 SAUM, 7mm WSM. Leaning towards the 7 SAUM. Not really interested in the 300wm or 7rm.

brass availability can be really hit or miss on most of the Cartridges depending on what type of quality you want. I've been waiting on brass for months as we speak. It's starting to remind me of powder, buy it when you can find it.

I bought my 26 to shoot....it was a factory test rifle...no more than 100 rounds thru it there.....i have put 200 thru it...and it has a better throat than my older 65284 maybe 300 rounds and my 280ai with maybe 200 rounds.....
Don't know which case the 27nosler is made with....but size up or size down.....lots of brass out there....

My vote is for the 7mm Rem Mag. Great barrel life. Norma and ADG brass. Easy to find all the right reloading equipment, dies etc. for a reasonable price. All the bases covered and then some on bullets. Right case volume for popular easy to find and accurate powders. Lots of reloaders and published information on the round to give you both good and bad suggestions on how to load the round. What more could a person want or need? I have 3 right now and can't seem to part with any of them.

Last edited:
If you like the 7mm, look into the Sherman Short Mags, they have ready brass from ADG i believe, but they are also very efficient and very effective in a true short action. They look to out perform the saum, I have a medium action Razor from Lone Peak and I am doing the 7Max which will give me a little more performance above the wsm.

I would say the 6.5x257WBY or the 270Wby with a faster twist. Long necks, good brass that's always available (although spendy). With todays powders and heavy bullet options the Weatherby case is the perfect compromise in those bores between velocity and barrel life. The .270Wby has struck me as kind of the perfect do-it-all since I started shooting it in the 90s. From 110 TTSX to the 170 Berger it checks a lot of boxes.

If you like the 7mm, look into the Sherman Short Mags, they have ready brass from ADG i believe, but they are also very efficient and very effective in a true short action. They look to out perform the saum, I have a medium action Razor from Lone Peak and I am doing the 7Max which will give me a little more performance above the wsm.
I will look into the Sherman Short Mag and the Max. Very intriguing!

So many great choices out there now. 6.5 Schnitzelhoofer (whatever), 7MM somethingorother, All will work well for you given the right build, and especially if you are willing to put in the work to develop a good load.

I was once a fan of big case capacity and velocity. Not so much anymore. Frankly, when you are dialing in range (beyond about 4-500, does it really matter if you go a few additional clicks?

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

So many great choices out there now. 6.5 Schnitzelhoofer (whatever), 7MM somethingorother, All will work well for you given the right build, and especially if you are willing to put in the work to develop a good load.

I was once a fan of big case capacity and velocity. Not so much anymore. Frankly, when you are dialing in range (beyond about 4-500, does it really matter if you go a few additional clicks?
the difference isn't the additional clicks (although wind is less forgiving along with that) it comes down to energy and bullet performance within an impact velocity window. Are you effective to 650 yards or 900 yards. My limit for shooting big game is 500 yards so I am not a real long range hunter, but once you get out beyond 250 yards those South Dakota and Wyoming winds can cause trouble and high velocity is the best medicine for treating wind inside 500 yards (where most shots are taken at game I think even amongst the devout long rangers).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.