What 22cal would you build?

What do you recommend for barrel length in the 22cm? This rifle won't be suppressed so a 26" barrel is fine if that's what it needs. What kind of speed are you seeing from the 75-85gr bullets?
I've shot them from 16" to 30". They work good everywhere. If you aren't running a suppressor, there's not much reason to go short... so I'd stick with 26.

Generally a 26" with Alpha brass can find a nice node in 3450 easily. That's not a warm load either. The higher node is generally right around 2500-2525... but that can be tough to get to if you like lots of firings on your brass. Not every barrel can hit 3450 either, but the vast majority can.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Looking at some long & pointy .224 long range bullets for a fast twist .22-.250.

Screenshot (449).png

This corresponds with Berger data as to G7 BC & Form Factor. Berger FF's are .907 for the 85.5 & 1.091 for the 80.5

Sg Values of the bullets for a 7.7 twist.

Screenshot (448).png

My velocities are slow compared to everybody else's, possibly I don't put enough powder in my ammo. Not having shot the Berger bullets I guessed at velocities. Considering cost, availability, & terminal effects I will continue shooting .224 75 grain ELDM's. Most LGS's sell them for less than $28 per hundred. I like the added velocities of the 75 grain ELDM bullets and equal or better form factors - a big part but not everything in selection.

I'm between 700 and 1400ft elevation depending on if im in town or at the ranch so I was planning on a 7.5tw and nothing heavier than 85gr.
Looking at some long & pointy .224 long range bullets for a fast twist .22-.250.

View attachment 395189

This corresponds with Berger data as to G7 BC & Form Factor. Berger FF's are .907 for the 85.5 & 1.091 for the 80.5

Sg Values of the bullets for a 7.7 twist.

View attachment 395190

My velocities are slow compared to everybody else's, possibly I don't put enough powder in my ammo. Not having shot the Berger bullets I guessed at velocities. Considering cost, availability, & terminal effects I will continue shooting .224 75 grain ELDM's. Most LGS's sell them for less than $28 per hundred. I like the added velocities of the 75 grain ELDM bullets and equal or better form factors - a big part but not everything in selection.
$.28 a peice is way better than the $1 a peice I'm paying for 230gr Atips or $.80 for berger's or even the $.55 i paid for 25cal 135's. It sounds dumb but individual cartridge price is one of the drivers for this whole 224cal project.

I shot 8 hogs with 9 rounds in one day back in May, farthest shot was 560yds. So after figuring it up I spent about $30 on buzzard food shooting my 300prc and using up components like RL26 and GMMM primers that have pretty much gone the way of the dodo! Every shot I made that day could have been done with a much more cost effective 22cal.

I'm between 700 and 1400ft elevation depending on if im in town or at the ranch so I was planning on a 7.5tw and nothing heavier than 85gr.

$.28 a peice is way better than the $1 a peice I'm paying for 230gr Atips or $.80 for berger's or even the $.55 i paid for 25cal 135's. It sounds dumb but individual cartridge price is one of the drivers for this whole 224cal project.

I shot 8 hogs with 9 rounds in one day back in May, farthest shot was 560yds. So after figuring it up I spent about $30 on buzzard food shooting my 300prc and using up components like RL26 and GMMM primers that have pretty much gone the way of the dodo! Every shot I made that day could have been done with a much more cost effective 22cal.
I am looking forward to some 800Y hog(s) harvests with whatever ..22 cal chambering you decide.

I am looking forward to some 800Y hog(s) harvests with whatever ..22 cal chambering you decide.
I know 800yds is probably a stretch for a one shot drt with a 22cal anything on a hog. That would be my absolute maximum range id try on a hog with a 75-85gr 22cal bullet. If it wasn't a relatively clean harvest I wouldn't try it again. Even 4 legged agricultural terrorists deserve a quick end.

I have a simple garden variety .22-.250. McGowen 26", #4 McGowen contour, 7.7 twist, 5R.
I like the Hornady 75 ELDM's with RL 16 but also use - Hornady 75 HpBt & Staball, Hunter, 4000MR, T8000, IMR4831, H4350, AA4350, SW4350, H414.
I expect the barrel will last 1,500 rounds. My loads are moderate. I use whatever suitable powder I can get. I wish .22-.250 brass came with small rifle primers.

View attachment 394920

View attachment 394921

View attachment 394923

View attachment 394924

Staball has been a disappointment. Two years ago, I developed a nice load using H414 at cool temperatures. but when I shot same at 95 deg. pressures spiked. The .224 75 ELD remains my bullet of choice & RL16 my powder of choice for my .22-.250's. .22-.250 loads using the 75 ELD are good for 600 yards plus and swat down small rodents. I might get another 150-fps using Lapua brass & RL16. Wifey shoots the Hornady 75 hpbt out of her 9 twist .223 at 2800 fps at steel.
I hate to hijack a thread but I do have a few questions concerning 222 Rem Mag I just got in Rem 722. I am looking for someone with experience with this caliber. I'm curious to know if anyone tried shooting heavier bullets like possibly 62 gr with the 1:14 twist ? I assume it will be close to what the 223 does with that twist rate ? And possibly a 62 gr is to much ? And how hard is this caliber on barrels ? Should I buy a spare ? And change the twist rate to say 1:8 wylde or 1:7 for heavier bullets ? I would like to have the best of both worlds if possible.

I hate to hijack a thread but I do have a few questions concerning 222 Rem Mag I just got in Rem 722. I am looking for someone with experience with this caliber. I'm curious to know if anyone tried shooting heavier bullets like possibly 62 gr with the 1:14 twist ? I assume it will be close to what the 223 does with that twist rate ? And possibly a 62 gr is to much ? And how hard is this caliber on barrels ? Should I buy a spare ? And change the twist rate to say 1:8 wylde or 1:7 for heavier bullets ? I would like to have the best of both worlds if possible.
You won't have success with much over 55gr in that twist, and even some of them might not behave. Certain flat base designs which are very short, will be where you'll find your heaviest bullets that will shoot well at shorter ranges.

If putting on a new barrel, go with a 7 or 8 twist. You don't really have the ability to "overspin" in a 222rem. I ran 7 and 8 twist in several 22-250's with no ill effect, and was still able to shoot 50gr just fine. Point in fact, terminal effects on varmints with light bullets in fast twist barrels is... spectacular.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Recent Posts