What 17 HMR is everyone shooting?

Have any of you Savage shooters had head spacing issues or firing pin issues yet? See a lot of them around here have issues after a few hundred rounds. It seems like its just a matter of time before they need work done.
No, I haven't had any issues either. I'm guessing maybe 400 rounds through mine.

The mag will block the bolt from going forward., doesn't matter which of the 3 mags I have, nor how many rounds are (or have been) loaded.

Just pulling down on the mag isn't enough -- I usually have to remove the mag & try to hold it in a spot where it's not locked in, but high enough to get the bolt to grab a round.
Weird, I've never heard of anything like that.

After thinking about it, my rifle has had issues extracting loaded but unfired rounds a couple times but I haven't cleaned it in forever so there's that.

I have 2 Heavy barrel Savages that shoot that shoot pretty good. My son and my dad both hve Tikka T1x's that shoot real well. My son also has a Marlin that doesn't shoot great. It's in a Boyd's stock, but I think it needs a serious bed job.

I have a CZ 457 , 24-in barrel and would American style stock. It shoots 20 grains CCI game points fantastically well. I can't remember for sure, but I think the velocity was about 2550. It shoots 1/2 and 3/4 in groups at 100 yd regularly. The trigger in it is just as good as any Tikka trigger I've had. It's not the lightest trigger out there, but it's crisp with no creep at all.

I have several different 17 hmr s they can be picky with ammo but they all like everything except CCI for some reason.
Convenient to keep and shoot my Cooper killed a coyote @250yds out of one of my fields and they are destructive on small squirrels
So it really doesn't matter which one you get
That said I'm shooting my Tika suppressed and love it
Gerry little cartridge

I have a CZ 457 , 24-in barrel and would American style stock. It shoots 20 grains CCI game points fantastically well. I can't remember for sure, but I think the velocity was about 2550. It shoots 1/2 and 3/4 in groups at 100 yd regularly. The trigger in it is just as good as any Tikka trigger I've had. It's not the lightest trigger out there, but it's crisp with no creep at all.
I was looking at this CZ model or the varmint. I think the CZ looks better than the Tikka for sure. My guess that they both shoot

I also bought one of the Weatherby MarkXXII in 17 HMR, thinking the Anschutz barrelled action would knock it out of the park...
It's shiny, but doesn't shoot any better than my Ruger (Gasp!)

The mag will block the bolt from going forward., doesn't matter which of the 3 mags I have, nor how many rounds are (or have been) loaded.

Just pulling down on the mag isn't enough -- I usually have to remove the mag & try to hold it in a spot where it's not locked in, but high enough to get the bolt to grab a round.
Did you buy it new? Sounds like the magazine retainer is holding the magazine too high. Never had that problem with any 93r17.

edit: try calling Savage if you can't find the problem. Their customer service is good.

Last edited:
Shot chucks & Yotes to 200. yds easy shot squirrel or PD 100+++.
We shoot Hornady 17HMR 20gr HP XPTs with a muzzle of 2,400fps
We have a 300 yd 22 Rimfire range at our PRS Range so can get the pratice. I need to put up thicker steel to shoot the 17 because the 17 goes through the 22 targets.
We have a Leupold VX 2 3-9 X33MM EFR CDS so can dial right in. Our Krestel gives a little different ballistics, but wanted to show what the bullet shoots.

RangeVelocityEnergyTrajectoryCome Up (MOA)Come Up (MILS)Wind DriftWind Drift (MOA)Wind Drift (MILS)
02375250.0-1.50.00.0000
200127472.0-10.24.91.4841
300100845.0-42.113.43.92172
40087634.0-108.125.87.53893
50078427.0-219.341.912.259113
Have you tried the CCI A17 round? It is a little hotter and gives us a better pop at 200+

I've had, a marlin, couple different savages, a ruger 77, a heavy weight vq, some czs, and a couple chipmunks. I've shot on hunts the rar, bergara, the savage autoloader, and an 1885.

I still own a chipmunk, a mcmillan stocked vq barreled 77, and a cz 452 fs. If it were me and it was just general use, I'd probably go rar but the bergara was nice. If you are a Tikka man the tax would be a no brainer.

Only one I wouldn't do is the savage autoloader, that thing patterned not grouped.
Did you try getting the Savage autoloader to shoot? Did it make any difference? Was it one of the early polymer stocks?

Thanks

Did you buy it new? Sounds like the magazine retainer is holding the magazine too high. Never had that problem with any 93r17.

edit: try calling Savage if you can't find the problem. Their customer service is good.
I did buy it new, but held it long enough before finding the issue that the seller won't touch it.

Savage did offer to look at it, but I don't think I can afford to not have my thermal up & running with lambing season coming up.

Did you try getting the Savage autoloader to shoot? Did it make any difference? Was it one of the early polymer stocks?

Thanks

Yes, including bedding it in a Boyd's stock new crown a trip to savage. It was a buddy of Mines who brought it over to see if I could get it to hit a minute of clay pigeon at 100 yards, best I could do was 8 out of 10 after all the fiddling with it. It's one of the three guns I've had as Nemesis for multiple months and was never able to actually conquer its accuracy.

The spring it strong in the clips I have. Sometimes, with the bolt closed, the clip doesn't go in all the way and has the issue you seem to have. I usually put the clip in while the bolt is open and have no issues.