What’s your spookiest hunting experience?

Yep, I seem to have those "what the" moments. I was 20-22 miles off shore on Lake Ontario with 2 other boats in late 80's. Flat calm, high pressure, so we knew we had weather in our favor. So about an hour before dark we all pulled our trolling gear and rafted up for second to talk about run back into Oswego. We were all idling. And then we all were not. All our engines shut down at same time. We all looked at each in disbelief. We all tried to start them up and none of them even chugged. Our electronics acted like an EMP hit. Nothing worked. Compasses spun around without direction. Radios down, well before cell phones. Now this was freaking us out. Heck we were in main shipping lanes and thought of floating out there in dark was not appealing. So after 15 minutes, one engine started, then rest started. We all agreed since it was flat calm, we all ran back in full throttle 35-37 mph. Pulled into Oswego about 45 min later. Could not get boat onto trailer fast enough! I spoke to Coast Guard next day and no clue what could have caused it. We SAW or HEARD nothing.....
Did you see or hear any other watercraft or aircraft in the area?

Yes, nothing would operate at all. They turned on but zip on working. Radio turned on but plain static. I had a Lowrance Eagle graph Loran C combo and it would turn on but squiggly lines. Built in compass just spun in circles. Engines would crank but would not start. It was the strangest thing since stuff would turn on but did not work. This cannot be possible.

Yes, nothing would operate at all. They turned on but zip on working. Radio turned on but plain static. I had a Lowrance Eagle graph Loran C combo and it would turn on but squiggly lines. Built in compass just spun in circles. Engines would crank but would not start. It was the strangest thing since stuff would turn on but did not work. This cannot be possible.

Sounds like effects from an EMP or Solar Flare……but, everyone for miles should have experienced it!

Ma ybe a Navy underwater experiment! 🤔 memtb

Part 2

When going down the ridge, practically feeling my way, I ran into a small downed tree….hitting me across my shins!

Mistake #4: Never step up about 16" onto a log in near total darkness, jump off onto the ground on the other side…..it may not be 16" until you hit terra firma again!

When I finally hit bottom, my knees were driven into my chest, knocking the wind out of me. When I finally got my breath, I was very thankful that the Good Lord dropped me into a soft bottom of deep grass…..and not a bunch of deadfall or a rick field!

On the move again, I finally cleared the timber…..no truck nearby! 🙀

As I moved farther out into the Sage, I saw lights far away to the west! Thinking it may be the truck…..I headed out. If I waded through the creek once….I waded it 10 or more times. But, I was determined to straight line to the truck.

Truck ? As I got closer to the light, I realized that it was a Coleman Lantern hanging at a camp! When I got close to the camp, I could see and hear hunters….I called out, not wanted to just walk into someone's camp.

They were all sitting around having supper and drinking a few beers. When I was welcomed in and stepped into the light, one said, " you look like hell, would ya like a beer? I didn't refuse it! 😉

When I explain as best I could where the truck was parked….a hunter said he recognized the place, and he would take me there as soon as he finished his meal. He said that the truck was only 2 or 3 miles away, to the east! 🫢

Mistake #5: He drove me right to the truck! 😊 However, my buddy wasn't there and the truck was locked 🫢🤮! He went back to his camp….I stood at the truck in utter disbelief 🫢. My buddy, had gone back up the mountain looking for me!

A couple of hours, and several gunshots….. my buddy got back to the truck! 🙏

We got back to our basecamp a bit after 1:00 am…..with the camp pretty concerned about us! memtb
You have the same sense of direction as my wife in the Wal-Mart parking lot.😁

When I hunt, I don't use flashlights to enter or leave the woods and I stay until it is dark as can be. One night I left the woods and walked past my trail camera. To my surprise someone was in the woods with me because I had pictures of some creepy looking guy walking out about 30 seconds after me. This was private land, I am the only one who hunts it, no clue who the guy was, he didn't have a bow, and I had no clue he was walking right behind me in the dark. Kind of makes me think I should start using a headlamp.

If you live to 84+ you might have a lot of storys to tell.
Oh, oh, oh, just thought of another one.
Alaska, Cold Bay area. Military, leasure time so four of us decide to take a row boat and cruise around the inlet we are at. Opps, tide starts going out (and if you are familiar with Alaskan tides, they go out FAST) We cannot row hard enough so one of us (guess who) jumps over into the inlet (happily the water is only about three or four feet deep) (un happily it is COLD...can you spell Akaska?) Between my pushing and them rowing we overcome the tide and get back to shore.
Now I discoveedr that hypothermia is real.
They tumble me into the truck and turn the heater up high. We get to the barracks and I stumble into my room, strip off my wet clothes (and then do EVERYTHING wrong when you are suffering from hypothermia).
Grab a bottle of whisky take a couple of slugs (whisky? military installation? Who would of thought?) At any rate, turn the shower to hot and jump in.
Well the good lord watches over idiots. I survive the whisky and the hot shower, but, there is a knock on the door...seems our flight out is moved up to 'NOW'.
Guess who has only one set of boots with him and guess if they might be soaking wet.
Never had a more uncomfortable flight while wearing soaking wet boots in a cold military aircraft.
Can you spell 'prune feet'?
And I still was promoted and allowed to remain in the military for 23 years.
Branch of the military has been omitted to avoid highjacking of this thread.
The only thing I remember about cold bay is I wasn't getting off the plane and spending the night there.

Growing up, I loved to hunt anything with my Dad and my Grandfather. Squirrel season was the first chance to hunt each fall, and we hunted at my grandparent's farm most of the time. One evening, when I was 6 or 7, my Dad came home from work and said "Let's go squirrel hunting"

I couldn't get ready fast enough. Shortly after we got there, I saw a couple of gray squirrels high up in a hickory and pointed them out to Dad. We were easing through the woods and Dad stepped up on a log to try to quietly get a better angle for a shot.

Like any kid would do, I jumped up on the log too. After about 2 seconds, my Dad tells me to get off the log. I tried to argue but when he raised his voice, I knew I was pushing my luck.

I got off the log and was standing there pouting...mad because he got to stand on the log and I didn't. About that time he said, "Christopher, I want you to shoot this copperhead..."

I asked what copperhead and he said "The one between my feet"

That's when we realized that there were 5 copperheads, all about 8"-10" long, spread out on that log. I don't know why they didn't strike or slither off the log, but they were still there.

At that point, I started freaking out because I assumed those were baby snakes and assumed Mama was somewhere close by. Eventually, Dad jumped off the log and he and I both emptied our 410's into that log.

That land now belongs to my cousin and myself and to this day, I think about that day with Dad and the copperheads every time I go by there...

When I hunt, I don't use flashlights to enter or leave the woods and I stay until it is dark as can be. One night I left the woods and walked past my trail camera. To my surprise someone was in the woods with me because I had pictures of some creepy looking guy walking out about 30 seconds after me. This was private land, I am the only one who hunts it, no clue who the guy was, he didn't have a bow, and I had no clue he was walking right behind me in the dark. Kind of makes me think I should start using a headlamp.

No light - makes you an easy target and never use the same route consecutively …..I think that I'd be hunt'n something other than game! memtb

Growing up, I loved to hunt anything with my Dad and my Grandfather. Squirrel season was the first chance to hunt each fall, and we hunted at my grandparent's farm most of the time. One evening, when I was 6 or 7, my Dad came home from work and said "Let's go squirrel hunting"

I couldn't get ready fast enough. Shortly after we got there, I saw a couple of gray squirrels high up in a hickory and pointed them out to Dad. We were easing through the woods and Dad stepped up on a log to try to quietly get a better angle for a shot.

Like any kid would do, I jumped up on the log too. After about 2 seconds, my Dad tells me to get off the log. I tried to argue but when he raised his voice, I knew I was pushing my luck.

I got off the log and was standing there pouting...mad because he got to stand on the log and I didn't. About that time he said, "Christopher, I want you to shoot this copperhead..."

I asked what copperhead and he said "The one between my feet"

That's when we realized that there were 5 copperheads, all about 8"-10" long, spread out on that log. I don't know why they didn't strike or slither off the log, but they were still there.

At that point, I started freaking out because I assumed those were baby snakes and assumed Mama was somewhere close by. Eventually, Dad jumped off the log and he and I both emptied our 410's into that log.

That land now belongs to my cousin and myself and to this day, I think about that day with Dad and the copperheads every time I go by there...

Copperheads blend into fallen leaves better than any snake that I can think off! I'm not really scared of snakes……but, I respect the heck out of Copperheads! memtb