What’s your spookiest hunting experience?

@Allen Lone wolf
I was on private land. I hunt turkey on Sam Murphy quite a bit. Mostly on the side behind the State Troopers post.
Yeah, you are close. I live about a mile from the other end of that gravel road. I just spotted my next quest on turkey. I've been having eight gobblers on my greenfield one of which has 3 beards, maybe 11, 8 and 4 inches in length and the spurs are going to push 11/2 inches long. I've been turkey hunting ever since we've had a turkey season in Marion County and that's the first multiple bearded turkey I've seen. Needless to say I am excited. By the way do you live local?

Yeah, you are close. I live about a mile from the other end of that gravel road. I just spotted my next quest on turkey. I've been having eight gobblers on my greenfield one of which has 3 beards, maybe 11, 8 and 4 inches in length and the spurs are going to push 11/2 inches long. I've been turkey hunting ever since we've had a turkey season in Marion County and that's the first multiple bearded turkey I've seen. Needless to say I am excited. By the way do you live local?
The most beards I have ever seen on a Turkey was 7, I have also seen one with 5.
Where I Turkey hunt seems to have that trait and many bearded hens.
Pretty interesting sometimes 😂

I live in Muscle Shoals. I come down there to turkey hunt quite a bit.

That triple beard will make a heck of a mount. I hope you get him!

I live in Muscle Shoals. I come down there to turkey hunt quite a bit.

That triple beard will make a heck of a mount. I hope you get him!
Speaking of turkey. Had about 20 to 30 behind the house last evening. I haven't seen them in a while so was getting a little concerned. I have yet to shoot one. Just enjoy watching them for now.

Speaking of turkey. Had about 20 to 30 behind the house last evening. I haven't seen them in a while so was getting a little concerned. I have yet to shoot one. Just enjoy watching them for now.
If you've never eaten wild turkey, it's some of the best meat on the planet! Not like store bought at all. I enjoy watching them interact, but when the season is in it's game on brother 🤪

We have had a HUGE drop in numbers here, I haven't gone after any for 3 years hoping for numbers to come back up

Here is some

Attachments

• 91D51A84-75A6-4043-AF28-AD08797BB30D.jpeg
    91D51A84-75A6-4043-AF28-AD08797BB30D.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 48
The butterfly effect is real. There is no escaping it. One casual phone call, and three months later a man dies. What if I didn't answer the phone that day?

A client called and in passing he told me about a hunt he did on Lake Kariba.

A few weeks later, I contacted the guy. I needed to kill three days between a Zambian Hunt and a Mozambique hunt. I was filming clients and this was just a way to burn a few days and see new country.

when I arrived, found out there was a problem Hippo that needed to be killed, because he was endangering the lives of the fishermen. Naturally, I'm in on that action. Never shot a hippo, sounds like fun.

We went to the lake shore to get info on what/where this bad Hippo was. My PH told me "Do not film these guys. They are bad news" This a bad group of guys that fished the lake and sold their fish to buyers on the shore. Basically, a den of thieves and thugs.

Got the Hippo info and arranged to meet the game scout the next morning on the shore.

Game scout texted us that he was there, so we headed to shore with the boat. There was quite a commotion and some guys came running out to meet us.

I don't speak Shona, so my PH translated that the game scout had just been stabbed.

He grabbed his .458 win mag and headed in to investigate. 30 seconds later I heard a shot. "That can't be good" I thought.

When he made it back to the boat I was relieved, but curious. He told me the guys jumped the guy who stabbed the scout and were in the process of kicking him to death.

He held the 458 over their head and lit one off.

That did the trick.

We headed back to camp and got a jet boat to transport the scout to an hospital and the other guy to the police.

Unfortunately, the scout died on the way across the lake.

He was an incredible person. Absolutely the brightest and most ambitious game scout I have met in 14 safaris. So bright, that before this incident, the PH and I were talking about how you could drop this guy in America and he would adapt. That's not the case with most of these guys. He was bright.

The story is that the game scout had confiscated the poachers net for illegal fishing. When he demanded his net back, the scout said "No" and he stuck a filet knife under his ribs and hit his liver.

The sad part was that this was his last day in this area. He was transferring to a new unit the next morning. All he had to do was avoid this guy for one day.

I know it's not my fault, and I don't beat myself up over it, but I can't help but think sometimes, had I not decided to kill a few days in Zimbabwe between hunts, this guy would still be alive.

So here is my scary but funny story. I was 16 and had permission to hunt a piece of property that was 1250 acres in Oklahoma.
My uncle farmed the land for the owner and I assisted for hunting rights.
It was only myself and two uncles that could hunt this property.
One day after school I drove to the place and was setting up a bow stand. I normally setup all the stands and feeders as my two uncles worked full time.
As I was walking the fence row out which was in a clear cut due to them running highlines through the trees.
I had this eerie feeling that something was watching me but I couldn't put my finger on it. The fence line had some weeds and small brush in it.
I keep walking and finally I look over my left shoulder to see this Giant Emu staring right at me and it had been stalking me down the fence row.
Of course I had really only seen these things on TV so I was like what the H***, so nocked a arrow and slowly walked out keeping my eyes on this emu.
That Emu followed me all the way down the fence line and I was scared to death. I called my uncle on the old bag phone I had in my truck and he let me know someone had cut the High Fence that was a few miles away.

At the time that Emu seemed like it was 9ft tall and a velociraptor. I tell that story now and just laugh. I missed the good ole days.

As I was reading the stories of mean bull encounters I thought I would share one.
My best friend lived on farm and I helped out as much as I could. The ranch next to his family farm raised Brahma bulls and was actively involved in rodeos. One afternoon we were picking up some blow downs and loading them on a flat bed trailer. We noticed this huge bull in the field adjacent to where we were working. It was spinning around and just going crazy. All of sudden it just jumped the fence and was charging right toward us. We jumped on the flat bed hay trailer and it literally attacked the trailer. It knocked both of us off the trailer as it tossed it around. We jumped on the tractor and the bull continued to ram the trailer and tractor. There were ground hornets stinging the bull and it took its revenge on us. We escaped without major injury, but needless to say we were done working in that field for the day.
It was getting revenge on something!

Marksman- Im sure they where just dumb Kidds out parting and shot out window from rig.Because before I raced down the mountain road I looked for brass right where they were in my headlights.As it was a switchback with a gated road that took off.On that hunt I was glassing a ridge across parked high in clear cut and as I looked in my review mirror I saw a mountain lion cross behind me.

Recent Posts