What’s up with Hornady’s reloading podcast?

I will clear the air with this. I have used and will continue to use the interlock designs. I am not against new technology fast twist, new case design, new rifles. Where my gripe comes in is in the performance of the bullets on game. When hornady claims to be on top of the pile is with these long range bullets. I keep getting reports from my elk hunting friends on catastrophic failuers with their new designs bullets blowing up at extreme range. This is where the snake oil comes in. This is a long range hunting site and there are other bullets more worthy. Hammer, barnes, nosler partitions etc. The eldx seems to be the worst with its thin bullet jacket and blow-ups. High bc does not kill, sectional density and proper bullet design does. Using target bullets on game is a recipe for failure.

Always an excuse! If you are not already working for them you should!
I gave you other examples too. Want pictures? And that was five boxes of ammo. I just saved that one for the "faithful"
I'm getting sub moa from the Hornady 7-08 139 grain hunting ammo from my Savage Striker pistol...
You've had trouble with the 300 roy... yup, my buddy did too. His rifle was a shotgun with WBY factory ammo in 150 gr and 180gr. I cobbled some ammo together using my 300rum dies after he had empties and nearly immediately hit a good load with 220 Sierra hpbt's and 7828.

I'm getting sub moa from the Hornady 7-08 139 grain hunting ammo from my Savage Striker pistol...
You've had trouble with the 300 roy... yup, my buddy did too. His rifle was a shotgun with WBY factory ammo in 150 gr and 180gr. I cobbled some ammo together using my 300rum dies after he had empties and nearly immediately hit a good load with 220 Sierra hpbt's and 7828.
My 300 roy shoots 0.4" at 200 yards. My friends had bought the hornady 300 and had problems with their rifles. Tested in mine with same result. Gave them my ammo.
300 BO, 22-250, .223 Rem and 300 WM all Hornady, all crap! Maybe it was the time window, maybe it was the phase of the moon. 5 different cartridges, 8 different rifles.

My 300 roy shoots 0.4" at 200 yards. My friends had bought the hornady 300 and had problems with their rifles. Tested in mine with same result. Gave them my ammo.
300 BO, 22-250, .223 Rem and 300 WM all Hornady, all crap! Maybe it was the time window, maybe it was the phase of the moon. 5 different cartridges, 8 different rifles.
I'm not 1 to buy a lot of factory ammo, so I don't have that much experience with having issues with getting the stuff to shoot. I usually only buy factory ammo when I need the brass, so I'm not expecting much. Norma 300win, Winchester 7rem 175gr, and Hornady 7-08 in 139 Interlock have been bought lately, and they all shoot well. That said, I'll be stuffing my load into that brass when I have enough, and not just buying more factory ammo.

I'm not 1 to buy a lot of factory ammo, so I don't have that much experience with having issues with getting the stuff to shoot. I usually only buy factory ammo when I need the brass, so I'm not expecting much. Norma 300win, Winchester 7rem 175gr, and Hornady 7-08 in 139 Interlock have been bought lately, and they all shoot well. That said, I'll be stuffing my load into that brass when I have enough, and not just buying more factory ammo.
I buy factory ammo for short range or to try a rifle out, when short in time. After that reload. I had great success with Win PowerPoint, Remington Core Lokt and freedom munitions in 300BO. Killed a few pics with the last. I happen to have some new to me rifles I wanted to check out. (.223, 22-250 and 300WM) as I was not set up to reload those yet. Also wanted to try their 300BO.
But if they work for you, you have no reason not to use it. The left a bitter taste in my mouth!

I will clear the air with this. I have used and will continue to use the interlock designs. I am not against new technology fast twist, new case design, new rifles. Where my gripe comes in is in the performance of the bullets on game. When hornady claims to be on top of the pile is with these long range bullets. I keep getting reports from my elk hunting friends on catastrophic failuers with their new designs bullets blowing up at extreme range. This is where the snake oil comes in. This is a long range hunting site and there are other bullets more worthy. Hammer, barnes, nosler partitions etc. The eldx seems to be the worst with its thin bullet jacket and blow-ups. High bc does not kill, sectional density and proper bullet design does. Using target bullets on game is a recipe for failure.
I've seen more complaints of "blowing up" at closer ranges. If your friends can analyze the bullet performance, they must have recovered their game.

Some people prefer a bullet to maintain weight, and make 2 holes in an animal. ELD-M and ELD-X are not designed to work that way.

I feel sorry for the new to hunting/shooting people that come to forums and youtube trying to learn, only to find all the confusing opinions and infighting. Match your bullet design and weight, cartridge, and caliber to the game hunted taking into consideration the, distance/impact velocity and your skill level/ability to place the bullet. There are multiple combinations of all these things that will work for the same conditions will give you satisfactory results. Know your limits as well as the limits of your equipment, practice and apply good ethic, and you will find success.

This is a perfect example of a company that toots its own horn over and over only to find that real intelligent people discover their BS and call them out on it. If I made my match ammo for ANY of the comps I shoot, like Hornady does, I'd be laughed at.
Sure, many will say "I shoot PRS with Hornady ammo", ok, what's your AGGREGATE with that ammo?

Nothing Hornady make is 'precision' or 'match' and I don't care who this statement rubs the wrong way, facts trump opinion…

Cheers.

If you had good luck, you have no reason not to keep using the product. I am voicing MY experiences along with a couple of fellow hunters. The 300WBY ammo says "CUSTOM" on it. My friends paid extra for that. They were luck I had my weatherby with me because I was planning to hunt Nilgai so I had plainty of ammo. And I did the company several other chances. Mayb I have high expectations. Maybe I don't know how to chamber their ammo.
From my experience some rifles just dont like some ammo. Heck even as a reloader some rifles will not shoot some bullet powder combos. Just the nature of the beast. Just because some rifles wont shoot certain ammo it doesnt mean the ammo is terrible or that some rifles might actually like it.

From my experience some rifles just dont like some ammo. Heck even as a reloader some rifles will not shoot some bullet powder combos. Just the nature of the beast. Just because some rifles wont shoot certain ammo it doesnt mean the ammo is terrible or that some rifles might actually like it.
I totally agree with you about rifles liking some ammo. But when you have three different rifles made at different times, but same brand, all NOT liking the "custom shop" ammo, how many rifles do I need to try it in? Whats the majority brand of rifles shooting 300WBY? Yes I have a Win M70 in 300 WBY, I know you can find other brands but are rare. If your ammo does not shoot well in Factory Weatherby, it should not be sold! Case closed!

I totally agree with you about rifles liking some ammo. But when you have three different rifles made at different times, but same brand, all NOT liking the "custom shop" ammo, how many rifles do I need to try it in? Whats the majority brand of rifles shooting 300WBY? Yes I have a Win M70 in 300 WBY, I know you can find other brands but are rare. If your ammo does not shoot well in Factory Weatherby, it should not be sold! Case closed!
So you have a sample size of 3. I mean according to Hornadys podcast you would need a sample size of at least 30 or preferably 100 to have a statistical value. 😆sorry. Couldn't resist that one.