What’s the farthest you have taken a big game animal with a rifle?

My brother pictured with an AZ bear I shot @ 992yds
.338 Edge, 300gr Berger @ 2820 MV
My farthest shot on big game
4CAB5BA0-38CF-4C69-B1D8-FFDB9E52820B.jpeg

I took a coyote at 1111 yards off my front porch in central Mt with a 6.5 creed running 42.8 h4350 and 130 Berger. Most of my elk/deer fall within 550 yards. I monkey around 3 ranches that total just under 300,000 acres then there is national forest to play on . I use a 7prc with 175 eldx over 28.8 grains of h1000 . Presently building a 300 prc to . So I've got plenty of time to to fill my tags
Typo on your 7PRC load?

Heck fire…..I'm kinda proud of that remark! Maybe my wife will put that on my gravestone! 😁

I think that I'll add that to my signature line. memtb
There is so much truth to that statement that most hunters miss!
I am all about stretching the limits and to each their own.
I shoot precision rifle matches all year and see what a 1mph wind or bad trigger press does to a bullet impact.
I used to shoot long range comps and then mostly hunt with a pistol.
But as I age and have 2 kids hunting the long gun is used more often.
Elk in the 500 to 700 yard range is my limit unless they have a hole in them.

I took my longest at 808 metres, with my 7STW running 168g ABLR. Usually, I would be hunting that particular area (New Zealand) with either my 264WM or 300WM, but I was talked into using the barrel screwed on at the time. Took a really nice Red Stag, then another the following day at 678 metres.
I have been very impressed with the 7STW, because normally I'm not a 7mm guy, but I now know why people love them, but the other 2, and many others, do just as much of a great job.
Still waiting to stretch the legs on my 257 Weatherby…

Cheers.
Does not compute….how far is that 🤣 J/K, nice shooting

Further than I'd like to admit! I try and limit myself to 300 yards because I know the limits of my rifles but one year, in the far west, I took a longer shot on the last day of the season and connected -- but only because I also knew the ballistics of the cartridge and the distance to the antelope, based on the scope subtensions of the reticle!

Wow, some impressive posts!

For me, 300ish on a deer (pre-rangefinder days). I did miss initially but the doe hung around, to her demise.

270 yds on a bighorn sheep. Horizontal compensated distance by range finder was 224, but I was curious after as it was a steep downhill shot so figured the elevation and actual distance afterward.

Shortest was inside of 20 yards on a cow elk with a rifle. I was walking up an abandoned logging road and she stood up and stepped out broadside. I didn't even see her as I approached until she stood up as I was looking downhill where other elk were talking and trying to spot exactly where they were over the edge of a drop. She came from some thick brush on the uphill side.
Your shortest shot reminded me of my 1st cow elk. I was on a fairly steep slope hidden by the branches of a fir tree overlooking a bit of an open break of timber below at 100 yards'ish. Couple squeaks on a call and this cow popped out of nowhere and ran right to me, maybe 10 yards. Wish I had a camera to take a picture of her liver…looked like the 168gn Barnes XLC (remember the blue ones) scorched a path right through it from my 300RUM. I didn't have a chrono back in those days but that thing was moving at 10 yards!

My longest was in So Dak. It was about 700 yds on a muley buck. I say "about" because that was long before range finders. I was using a 300WM and 180gr Barnes X bullets. The rifle was topped with a Shepherd scope. The scope uses a bullet drop reticle with multiple decreasing sized circles out to 1000 meters and the drops/holdovers are calibrated for a particular velocity and bullet weight. Each smaller circle correlates to a diameter of 18 inches at that range. For example, the circle at 700 on the reticle is smaller than the circle at 500, but both circles equate to 18 inches. The 700 yd/meter circle fit perfectly over the back and brisket of the deer and I squeezed the trigger. Deer fell in its tracks - so about 700 yds. Longest shot since rangefinders was at 450 yds in FL with an AR10 in .308 with 155gr SMK. The east coast 9-point (4x5) ran about 20 yds.

Last edited: