Welcome Home Chip/Dale

Reelamin

Gone for six weeks and see this when I pull in the driveway. Some good welcome homes and this one made me chuckle. Got you bugger and I wasn't even home.

Attachments

• 7C987917-7350-4298-8D6B-6C3314CEE096.jpeg
    7C987917-7350-4298-8D6B-6C3314CEE096.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 474
I've had a large organic vegetable garden for many years. Squirrels have always been around but haven't been a big problem in the past. But 2 years ago, I had so many squirrels that they ate, or bit into, every single tomatoe before they could be harvested. I live in a dense suburban area with neighbors all around me so I can't shoot them, not even with a pellet rifle. I set up a couple of Hav-a-hart traps and would catch one every morning. The flow of squirrels slowed down but it didn't go away. I planted corn for the first time because my 3 yo grandson wanted to. The squirrels pulled them all down when they were only 3 feet tall.

I'm tired of relocating squirrels and have just about given up. If I lived in a more rural area it would be easy to resolve the problem. That's why the 10-22 was invented; isn't it? This may be my last year of growing the garden.

They are such a damaging pest. I've had vehicles damaged by them. If a garden we would have more. Worst was dog found one in engine compartment. Yep two new painted fenders and one door. I shoot them when I can and the conibear's are only way I can keep up.

What you fellas need is a leaf spring from an old truck, a welder, and a little ingenuity. You weld the leaf spring down to a heavy plate, or anchor the plate somewhere, (a tree, concrete pad, etc), then you construct an appropriate trigger mechanism. Point it at the neighbor's house that you like the least, and slather the end in peanut butter. The idea is to get enough bend in the spring that you can launch them at least a few hundred feet. Place a game camera with video capability nearby, and crack open a beer and prepare for the show. You get bonus points for having a security camera that can catch the launch from a second angle. It may not eradicate them, but at least this method of dealing with them will bring you joy, as you watch them sail into the horizon.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you fellas need is a leaf spring from an old truck, a welder, and a little ingenuity. You weld the leaf spring down to a heavy plate, or anchor the plate somewhere, (a tree, concrete pad, etc), then you construct an appropriate trigger mechanism. Point it at the neighbor's house that you like the least, and slather the end in peanut butter. The idea is to get enough bend in the spring that you can launch them at least a few hundred feet. Place a game camera with video capability nearby, and crack open a beer and prepare for the show. You get bonus points for having a security camera that can catch the launch from a second angle. It may not eradicate them, but at least this method of dealing with them will bring you joy, as you watch them sail into the horizon.
Yeah ,saw one on YouTube, very good idea for flying squirrels!

We also have the wire chewing red squirrels, cost a friend three trips to dealer for repairs .
I have regular system for getting rid of them,
If they are in front yard ,I open the door ,throw a shoe at them,
They go up the tree onto the house and jump into the tree in backyard , where I am waiting with .177my silver streak .
Not many get away!

Gone for six weeks and see this when I pull in the driveway. Some good welcome homes and this one made me chuckle. Got you bugger and I wasn't even home.
Good job, but I love squirrels , especially when eating them, when I'm not hunting them, get an old plastic mailbox, put it on a leaning branch or tree of any kind, glob of peanut butter in the back, and of course your 110 conibear at the entrance, one can literally catch hundreds in a year with this method. Works equally well on marten, if you have them.

Good job, but I love squirrels , especially when eating them, when I'm not hunting them, get an old plastic mailbox, put it on a leaning branch or tree of any kind, glob of peanut butter in the back, and of course your 110 conibear at the entrance, one can literally catch hundreds in a year with this method. Works equally well on marten, if you have them.
I'm on it....I tried leaning a pecker pole up against tree base as a ramp and setting a couple traps along it. I tried bait on the trap trigger, Marshmallow, apple, carrots. I got more birds than squirrels with the bait. I'm guessing any pipe diameter, or does it have to be larger? I can get any diameter of PVC, culvert, etc. stove pipe, well casing, etc. to use. My spring project now they are out is bait the suckers to a tree and start head shooting and eating them. They are just too dang quick by the time I see them to get a gun, and the dang dogs have them super spooked. I see them maybe for a 1-3 tree dash and gone.

I could see it.

Close off one end, about a 1/4lb of black powder and a handful of nails. Should work just fine on squirrels if you can get the trigger right.
I would up it to well casing as it can handle some serious pressure. 9v battery, 3 short electrical leads with alligator clips, Electric igniter for a model rocket engine, folded tin foil with air gap contact pad. Don't forget be sure of back stop. I have never built anything like this I found it on the internet.

I would up it to well casing as it can handle some serious pressure. 9v battery, 3 short electrical leads with alligator clips, Electric igniter for a model rocket engine, folded tin foil with air gap contact pad. Don't forget be sure of back stop. I have never built anything like this I found it on the internet.
Well, now I know what I'm doing for the next 4 hours. Thank you

I've had a large organic vegetable garden for many years. Squirrels have always been around but haven't been a big problem in the past. But 2 years ago, I had so many squirrels that they ate, or bit into, every single tomatoe before they could be harvested. I live in a dense suburban area with neighbors all around me so I can't shoot them, not even with a pellet rifle. I set up a couple of Hav-a-hart traps and would catch one every morning. The flow of squirrels slowed down but it didn't go away. I planted corn for the first time because my 3 yo grandson wanted to. The squirrels pulled them all down when they were only 3 feet tall.

I'm tired of relocating squirrels and have just about given up. If I lived in a more rural area it would be easy to resolve the problem. That's why the 10-22 was invented; isn't it? This may be my last year of growing the garden.
Some feed stores have live traps. They are about 30" sq. and about 4" high. You can set it on a small sheet of plywood. Place some grain at the bottom in and under the cage. There is a couple of one way doors in the trap. There a plastic box the can be purchase too. Fill it with water. When you get some takes. Place the trap in the water. It's over quickly. No noise either. You can have Squirrel for dinner. I had lots of ground squirrels a few years back. Got as many as 7 at one time. They are gone now.

Recent Posts