We are our own worst enemies with powders like retumbo etc

The one that gets me is imr 7828, used to always be available and often on sale, now I can't find it and it's not even an extreme powder...but all the slow ones are gone

6.5-300 bee, you scored three powders I have been looking to find at estate sales for 5 years now. Win 780 Supreme, AA3100, and if I am not mistaken, the 8# that with the red top in the back is H-780, the powder my old 270 H-Mag loved.

as for hoarding and seasonal powder availability.. I remember when I could just pick up any of the powders I needed. All I had to do was make a trip to J&S in Jackson, CA and they had shelves stocked with 1#, 4#, and 8# kegs. nothing was ever out of stock. now I have been struggling to find anything that even resembles powders that I want to try to use. I have a heavy slug shooting 300 W/M (1:8"), a heavy slug shooting 338 W/M (1:8"), a heavy slug lobbing 270 WSM (1:8") and I think I found my 270 H-mag on the G-smithing boards. I am trying to get the guy to sell it back to me. I am trying to be nice tot he guy and not turn him in for possessing a stolen firearm.
I think we have much more reloaders now. I think the population at large is catching up with us, the long range shooters. finding out that we can make better ammo than the ammo manufacturers. I am starting to believe that more and more people are "rolling their own" and being less dependent on the ammo manufacturers. this will cause what we are all seeing.. less powder for us to find on the shelves. I have been seeing a super boost in custom rifles as of late, a huge leap in semi-customs, and a leap in superb custom parts. I am starting to believe that this will level out at some point but I have been known to be very wrong. I am just hopeful that things will get back to normal or as normal as it will ever get again.

Fellow living near me passed away. Went to estate auction and bought SOME of his powder.

had to build new shelves !

View attachment 188166
Great stockpile. A friendly word of caution; the old Winchester powders have a different burn rate than the newer powders. Be careful if loading up to max using new powder recipes. Happy trails.

Fellow living near me passed away. Went to estate auction and bought SOME of his powder.

had to build new shelves !

View attachment 188166
Also something else,
U1 occupancy....therefore house = 20 lbs. and garage = 20 lbs. with it not being stored in an approved construction container. The box of described construction is not even a NFPA class 2 portable indoor magazine. If you were to use a magazine you can increase your quantities. How ever, local codes and or state codes can preempt your storage quantities. Example: California has a 20 lb. limit. If you wish to exceed it you by law need a permit. You may be outside the federal law if these kegs are even half full. Be careful the ATF monitor such sites. I have never heard of them going after someone but they can. Happy trails.

It's so funny how these powders become popular, then scarce, then everywhere again and again. About 3 years ago retumbo was everywhere. I was looking at it for my 300wm load development, and I remember so, so many guys saying they weren't having good luck with it in their various cartridges, and how I should try this one or that. Then suddenly it got "popular" and everyone wanted it. There is so much gold rush mentality in this sport.
its a lot like the panic buying of toilet paper if you ask me. We create the panic and force each other to hoard. I'm sure the powder companies don't mind this game we all play. I finally scored some H1000 and N570 recently and it felt like I won the super bowl! 😂
I remember about 12 years ago I started reloading with retumbo in a 7mm rm. It was plentiful. Anyone that sold any kind of reloading supplies at all had it on the shelf. People kept telling me rl22 was what I should be running. It was a popular powder then. At that time there was a lot of nay sayers of retumbo. It's funny how so much has changed. Funny how so many people was on certain bandwagons with scopes, stocks, bullets, powder and now no one even mentions them much. Give it another 10-15 years and our best powders, cartridges, & bullets will be surpassed by much improved supplies. Will probably be embarrassed to mention retumbo, h1000 & h4350 that many years down the road, LOL.

For 1 a lot of state limit the amount of powder you are allowed. I would check the state you live in. City also have requirements too. California (California) has a 20 lbs limit. So people that are stock piling powder beware. That hard to do, with powder coming and going and loading several different rifles at a time. Besure you check your state and federal laws on amount of powder you can have an storage.
SSS
Mike
I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for having too much powder, as far as I know it's a fire code issue and the only problem ihave heard of is insurane companies giving a hard time for a payout after a fire of its reported.

I recently started reloading for a 6.5 PRC. After looking at the Hornady reloading data , I figured I would try a couple of different powders that gave good velocity and obviously great accuracy. The only powder in stock was Retumbo. One whole pound. I am finally going to shoot it next week. The range where I live is always open to members. Even during this ridiculous shutdown. Hoping it shoots well. I have 4 more pounds of the stuff on back order. Worse case scenario is I will be forced to use my 6.5-284 Norma for mule deer hunting this year. I use Reloader 19 for that and I have 5 pounds of powder and it shoots the Nosler 140 Accubonds very very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts