Vortex Viper

I have a 4x16 pst great scope ! It has 800 rounds behind it . Had my fill of Leupold , had 3 of them with problems and sold them ! Plus one they had for 3 months and had to send it back again , but some have good luck with them .:)

Another vote for 4-16.

4X is low enough for quick shots up close and offers a good field of view. The extra power on the high end makes a huge difference when taking shots over 300 yards.

I've had 2.5-10X scopes and found them a little lacking for high level precision shots at long range. I've also had 6-24X hunting scopes, the Viper PST to be exact, and although it is an excellent long range scope, I found the base 6X to be a little much when hunting in close quarters.

In my opinion, a 4-16X scope is the best magnification range for hunting in general. Then you can get into weird magnification ranges like my all-time personal favorite "mid-priced" hunting scope, the Bushnell Elite Tactical 4.5-30 X 50. Can hunt brush and score points on a buck at 1000 yards all with the same optic :)

This thread says it well! No everyone will love the Vortex but as illustrated by the thread, most believe it's a GREAT product for the money. I have many Vortex, Leupold, Zeiss and Swarovski scopes. The Vortex is great. Just picked up another one a few weeks ago, guy hated it said turret didn't work right? I've been shooting it on my 6 Xc to 800 yds and works just fine. His loss my gain. Don't be afraid of Vortex!

I had both the 4-16 and the 6-24 Viper PST in ffp. I liked them both and they both had the same issue. The illumination would either not turn on or would not stay on. I called Vortex and in less than a week I had new illumination cap covers with shims installed on the underneath side to apply more pressure to the battery.....problem solved. That was the only issue I had ever had with mine and when I called them, they seemed genuinely concerned and literally fixed the problem as fast as they could. I like higher magnification for shooting past 200 yards. At 100 yards and out I felt the 6x was low enough, but any closer and it might be more difficult especially on a moving target.

Another vote for more power. I upped power from the 4x16 to the 6x24 HS-T and noticed more blur at the higher power and long range. Thinking of going with the Zeiss Conquests HD5 for more clarity at long range high power. The 4x16 is pretty good though and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I'm also looking for new Scope and found what might be a deal I can't pass up. A Viper HS 4-16x44 for $329 or so. I'm currently comparing it to a Sightron Big Sky II in 3-12x42. This if for a varmint .243. Might be hard to pass on the Vortex and it would be my first. It is heavier and longer then the Big Sky but $100 cheaper. Is glass as good or better?

I'm also looking for new Scope and found what might be a deal I can't pass up. A Viper HS 4-16x44 for $329 or so. I'm currently comparing it to a Sightron Big Sky II in 3-12x42. This if for a varmint .243. Might be hard to pass on the Vortex and it would be my first. It is heavier and longer then the Big Sky but $100 cheaper. Is glass as good or better?

Depending on the range you do your varminting and the size of your varmints, you may want more than 16. It's a great price to pass up.

Guys I really appreciate the responses this thread has received. I haven't been on since I posted it. I ended up going with a Zeiss Conquest I found on my cross country rip home.

Guys I really appreciate the responses this thread has received. I haven't been on since I posted it. I ended up going with a Zeiss Conquest I found on my cross country rip home.

Equally good choice! I have several Conquests and several Vortex optics...You can't go wrong with either one. But I think compared to the Viper & Viper HS series scopes, the Conquest lens coatings are slightly superior at blocking sun and glare. So, of the two best options in that price range, I think you took the slightly better road. I say slightly, because you couldn't go wrong either way.

I have the 4-16x50 HS mouted on my tikka t3 superlite in 308. And I also have a 4-16x50pst waiting until I pick up my 6.5x284 at the end of the month :)

I love my vortex scopes they were money very well spent and I encourage everyone who is on a budget or just looking for the best bang for your buck to buy Vortex you wont be disappointed I know I havent been. The only dislike I have had with the HS is that it does not have the exposed turrets I really regret not spending the extra 50 bucks or whatever it was to buy the exposed turrets. As soon as I sell my HS ill be picking up the 4-16x50 HSLR

Hope this helps you with your choice

I have the 4-16x50 HS mouted on my tikka t3 superlite in 308. And I also have a 4-16x50pst waiting until I pick up my 6.5x284 at the end of the month :)

I love my vortex scopes they were money very well spent and I encourage everyone who is on a budget or just looking for the best bang for your buck to buy Vortex you wont be disappointed I know I havent been. The only dislike I have had with the HS is that it does not have the exposed turrets I really regret not spending the extra 50 bucks or whatever it was to buy the exposed turrets. As soon as I sell my HS ill be picking up the 4-16x50 HSLR

Hope this helps you with your choice
I got the HS 6-24x50 in hopes of the HS-T not being out for 1/2 a year or so, then a month & half later they get released. LOL

Kinda wish I had waited, but the HS has nice finger adjustable turrets once you remove the caps. I'm thinking about having a custom set made for it.

Then ordering a HS-T 6-24x50 once I get the money and putting it on one of my other Senderos.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts