Vortex viper pst

I have a 2.5-10x44 PST SFP. I really love the scope. I am actually contemplating selling my mark 4 leupold so that I can buy another, even though the glass isnt quite as good.

For me, I dont see myself streching out on game beyond 1k for at least a few years. The Vortex glass will get me to that range easily, with features to boot, for a very reasonable price.

Best bang for your buck on the market that I know of.

I have seven pst's and i have had four nightforce's I now have all vortex. I have a 338 lapua imp full custom defiance action($1485) and I put a pst on it. Nothing wrong with nightforce if you want more power or more moa then they are the go to, but as far as everything else goes like glass I dont see alot of difference. I have shot my rifles all to 1760 yards and they all track great.

Last edited:
i have had a viper 6.5-20x44 mildot on my 7mm rem mag for 2 years now and have loved it other then the slightly short eye relif. it has always tracked great and i shoot it at 800y on a regular basis and zero the turret after every day of shooting.

just got a viper 6-24x50 pst sfp moa in friday to replace it and got it mounted up and shot in saturday. so far i like it. the features it has vs the regular viper are much better.

the only thing i have noticed about it and was curious if anybody else has noticed this. at 24x there is very very little forgiveness in having my eye perfectly centered in the glass. i can turn it down just a little and it gets very easy to stay in the center. i have never had this issue with the other viper.

they are tight, what I found is that if you move the scope a little it will get better. What I do is check the eye relief on both 6 and 24 power before tightening the rings. There is a better spot on most scopes.

No issue with th 4-16 but the same issue with the 6.5-24. The eye box is touchy. Having said that, up on high end, it's all bench or prone so it's easy to position myself where the field of view is no issue. The 4.5-24 isn't on an offhand rifle anyway.

The 4-16 is a nice all around scope for offhand shooting IMO. I normally keep it dialed down on the low end anyway.

no issue with the eye relif just with staying in the box i have found in the last few days playing with it that light conditions seem to effect it more. dosnt seem to be near as much of an issue as long as the lighting is decent.

just ordered a PST 6-24X50. comes hopefully on Thursday. you guys are making me want it now. Looking at rings, trying to make a decision. any suggestions from you PST owners?

i'm using burris extreme tactical's on both of my vortex scopes along with EGW bases. neither one needed any lapping. perfect alignment right out of the box.

My 338 has the Viper in Warne Rings and the 308 is Talley one Piece ring/mount My 223 has it in Ruger proprietary rings.

I'd say ring choice is dependent on recoil and your wallet but whatever the choice, lap and align the rings for the best accuracy.

the only thing i have noticed about it and was curious if anybody else has noticed this. at 24x there is very very little forgiveness in having my eye perfectly centered in the glass. i can turn it down just a little and it gets very easy to stay in the center. i have never had this issue with the other viper.

Have you checked to see if your eye piece is focused properly? I don't have that problem with my 6-24x50mm FFP MOA PST, but I have an adjustable cheek piece.

joseph

Attachments

• P4240015.jpg
    P4240015.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 64
which height extreme tactical rings? I use an EGW base, so those might be just right

I have low Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings with an EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style rail (20 MOA) for my PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle scope.

I have this setup on my two Remington 700 Senderos chambered in 7mm STW. Below are a few pictures of my twin Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW rifles with this set-up.

Attachments

• Twin Senderos 7mm STW_1.jpg
    Twin Senderos 7mm STW_1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Twin Senderos 7mm STW_2.jpg
    Twin Senderos 7mm STW_2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Twin Senderos 7mm STW_3.jpg
    Twin Senderos 7mm STW_3.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 67
I have low Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings with an EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style rail (20 MOA) for my PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle scope.

Thanks

That's almost the exact same set up I'm looking at for scope, rings and base. I have an EGW 1 piece base on my Savage, with a Sporter barrel, and I'm getting the PST 6-24X50 SFP, hopefully tomorrow

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts