Vortex Viper HST<>Zeiss V4 quandry

Zeiss no contest. You might get more bells and whistles on vortex but not worth it to me. I've tried several different models and I just haven't been all that excited about the consistency within Vortex scopes...at least the ones I've used but others really like them so who knows.

If you're patient you can find great prices on the newish V4 Conquest. I picked up a 4-16x44 for about $650 last year. Has all the features you asked for I think.

I was going to suggest the SWFA SS 3-15x42 MIL-MIL scope...but its FFP.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-3.html

On sale you can get it right at your target. Its not HD glass but that never stopped me from hitting BC targets out to 1200-yards.

If you know someone in your area that has one, I would highly recommend you taking a look at it... Zero Stops are possible by using fitted washers (think someone sells them for around $7, well worth it).

I have a Zeiss and I love the glass. They really are clear but my requirements lead me tot he SWFA SS mentioned above.

Have sco
Am in the process of transitioning to medium long range shooting and hunting. The scope I presently have on my MLR rig is a non-ballistic type and as such I have been limited to shooting to 400 yards. Now I am ready to upgrade to a ballistic capable scope.

About 1-1/2 years ago stumbled on and purchased a NIB Zeiss HD5 at a great price, but was recently made an offer on it to good to refuse so now I'm in need of a scope. After I bought the HD5 I realized FOR ME that a truly ballistic capable scope is a better all around option for hunting VS a BDC scope.

My absolute MUST HAVE requirements for this scope are:
<>Must be SFP I know the limitations of SFP and it's affect on reticle size in relation to magnification changes, but I simply do not like FFP scopes for hunting.
<>Cost can not exceed $600
<>Must have zero stop wind and elevation adjustments
<>Have a simple uncluttered ballistic reticle, I prefer hash marks over dots
<>Magnification range of 3-15 or similar for maximum versatility for close to far shots while hunting
<>Max front objective of 44mm as I want to be as lite as practical

Now here is my quandary. After selling the Zeiss I have more than enough money to buy the Vortex Viper, but have been reading some excellent reviews of the Zeiss V4 as being among the best SFP simple ballistic scope under $1k, and although the V4 meets my criteria about exact, EXCEPT the Zeiss V4 represents going over my budget by 50%.

What I need is factual information that the Zeiss V4 would be worth the additional cost over the Vortex Viper. So what I need to know is will the Zeiss serve me better as a hunting scope for shots out to 800 yards and is there for worth the extra cost or will the Viper be good enough.

Thanks,
Art.
pes of all kinds, but my hunting scopes on at least 5 of my hunting rifles are zeiss conquest 4.5-14 mil reticle. My go to rifle a winchest 300 wsm has worn this scope 1st year they were available, has been to africa 18 timez and hunted all over western states and canada. Still fantastic! Having said such i also love the vortex but i believe you cant beat the glass on the conquest!

It is funny this post showed up. I have a hst and have an extremely hard time with the sight picture looking through the scope. You HAVE to be exactly in the right position to look through the scope so it does not turn the view to black. It is even worse at long ranges as you go up in magnification. I currently have the 6-24×50 hst and am looking into upgrading to nightforce as I have one on another long range rifle and it is astoundingly better. I understand the "wanting to save money" but just dont short yourself on optics. I believe comparing Vortex to Ziess is like comparing a Tasco to a Leupold. Just take your time and research or you could end up like me with a regretful purchase.

With as many scopes as I've tried working up from the bottom, I would have saved a lot of money buy just buying one really nice one from the start.

I have had many Zeiss Scopes.
Vortex glass is not even close.
FOR THE MONEY Very hard to beat a Zeiss V4 with turrets.

I buy mine at REDHAWKRIFLES.

I bought a brand new illuminated 6x24 for less than $900 in November,

4x16 were a $100 less.

DICK CHURCHLY is the owner and a great guy to deal with.
Tell him Capt. Ben from Galveston sent you.

He has provided scopes for lots of my friends and family.

Best prices I know of on Zeiss or Swaro scopes.

This is not just opinion but honest experience.

Capt. Ben Wiley

Go up to a PST instead of the HST. I lost count of how many I have and have never needed the warranty. I see cameralandny no longer carries vortex, which is a surprise. Also, opticsplanet no longer has the 4-16x50 Viper PST in SFP. Now only available in FFP. For now it looks like the only good offering in SFP by vortex is the PST gen Ii 3-15x44, currently listed for $799 with free 2 day shipping. I personally prefer the FFP reticles and almost always had to wait multiple weeks to get my scopes since demand for them was so high...

Am in the process of transitioning to medium long range shooting and hunting. The scope I presently have on my MLR rig is a non-ballistic type and as such I have been limited to shooting to 400 yards. Now I am ready to upgrade to a ballistic capable scope.

About 1-1/2 years ago stumbled on and purchased a NIB Zeiss HD5 at a great price, but was recently made an offer on it to good to refuse so now I'm in need of a scope. After I bought the HD5 I realized FOR ME that a truly ballistic capable scope is a better all around option for hunting VS a BDC scope.

My absolute MUST HAVE requirements for this scope are:
<>Must be SFP I know the limitations of SFP and it's affect on reticle size in relation to magnification changes, but I simply do not like FFP scopes for hunting.
<>Cost can not exceed $600
<>Must have zero stop wind and elevation adjustments
<>Have a simple uncluttered ballistic reticle, I prefer hash marks over dots
<>Magnification range of 3-15 or similar for maximum versatility for close to far shots while hunting
<>Max front objective of 44mm as I want to be as lite as practical

Now here is my quandary. After selling the Zeiss I have more than enough money to buy the Vortex Viper, but have been reading some excellent reviews of the Zeiss V4 as being among the best SFP simple ballistic scope under $1k, and although the V4 meets my criteria about exact, EXCEPT the Zeiss V4 represents going over my budget by 50%.

What I need is factual information that the Zeiss V4 would be worth the additional cost over the Vortex Viper. So what I need to know is will the Zeiss serve me better as a hunting scope for shots out to 800 yards and is there for worth the extra cost or will the Viper be good enough.

Thanks,
Art.

Just got email today (Feb 1) from Midway USA. Today only they have the Vortex HST 6-24x50 with VMR-1 MOA reticle on sale for $499.99 with free shipping. That is the best price I have seen on it anywhere if that helps you make your decision. I have the same scope with mil reticle and very happy with it. Cost me about $650 as I recall.

The gen1 and HST are horrible in low light conditions.. if your doing any type of hunting I'd seriously cross that scope off the list. How ever the gen2'pst is a world apart from the gen1

I have had both an my v4 glass blows viper glass out of the water.

I have been very happy with the v4 for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.