Vortex Viper 4-12x40 Scope Review By Troy Adams

went on there web site, nice looking turrets.
thinking about the 65.-20 for my 223 rem 700 sps-v.
these are about as nice as Nikon Monarch scopes???

Last edited:
Thought I would jump in and give my 2 cents on my experience with Vortex. I recently purchased the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 (1" tube) from SWFA.COM on sale for $99 (This scope has been discontinued and is being replaced by a 30mm tube).
Mounted the scope and took it to the range, but it wasn't holding a tight zero. I called Vortex and they said that they had been having some trouble getting the workers in China to properly tighten the turrets recently. She asked me if I was planning on hunting soon. I told her "in a couple of weeks." So she said that she would FedEx overnight me a new scope that will be inspected by their tech there at the office in WI. When I got the replacement scope, all I had to do was put the old scope back in the box, affix the prepaid label and send it back. (Oh, and a free hat come with my replacement scope).
I mounted the new scope and zeroed it in...it held a sub MOA zero. Then I did a box trill and found the MOA adjustments to be very precise.
So I took it to my hunting location to get some long range shots in. At this point I had never shot a rifle over 350 yards, but I was intending to make a long range set up out of this scope on my Rem 700 7mm mag. With a muzzle velocity of 2880 (hand loaded Berger 168gr VLD's / 62 gr. IMR4831 seated against the lands) my ballistic chart told me to adjust 54 clicks up for a 700 yard shot. I put up a 3 foot cardboard target at the other end of the cut bean field hoping (but not expecting) to at least hit the target. I set up with a front rest and rear sandbag and took 4 shots. Then I drove up to the target and was suprised to find a 5.5" group just a few inches above bullseye (I chose a day with no wind so I wouldn't have to worry about windage adjustments). Very impressed for a $100 scope.
Just a few drawbacks: First, 21-24x can be a little fuzzy so I keep it on 20x and it is very sharp. Secondly, the Paralax adjustments are a little mismarked. When adjusted to perfect focus at 700 yards, the paralax marking was just at 150 yards. I assume that this is no big deal. When making the adjustment I just adjust for focus anyway (not looking at the markings).
Overall, I was very impressed. At first I thought I would have pay for something in the Viper line to get this kind of performance, but am happy with the Crossfire.

I own a 6.5-20x50 viper vortex. I really liked the optics (other than at full power), but seemed clear and bright. Problem, I have now had two of them that won't hold zero( 8 months apart). Me and the gun smith tried everything to get good grouping with my 26" barreled AR-15 (5-6" at 100 yds)...... but everything seemed to fail. SO, two days ago we threw a Nikon Monarch on, (for testing) and now I have 1/2 " grouping at 100 yds, and 1 - 1 1/4 at 200 yds.

Customer service from them was great, exchanged the scope with very few questions ...... but I think they may have some quality control issues.

Like Unkzier above i bought a scope from SWAF for 99. It is the 1" tube 6-24. I have looked through it and it seems nice. At the range i was using it as a spotting scope for my 100yd 22 shots. I can say it is heavy. I am used to lighter scopes, but it will go on a 338-378 wby here friday.
I hope i do not have problems with it, but if i do im glad there is good Customer Service to help me out.

Just thought I would do a follow up update. In addition to the Crossfire, I also purchased a 6.5-20 viper. I put it on a rifle that I know shoots well. First 4 shot group was .45MOA. It has held its zero throught the entire hunting season. I've been very happy with vortex. Sure they can put out a defective scope, just like anybody. But their commitment for fixing any problems on their dime is impressive. IMHO

I am looking at purchasing a Vortex Viper HS Long Rifle 4x16-50 with the Dead Hold reticle for my Weatherby 300 Magnum with a 180 grain Accubond bullet. I will be using it during the limited entry elk hunt on the Fillmore Pahvaunt hunt here in Utah. The guide service has told me most shots will be in the 300-800 yard shot range. I have a concern that with the Dead Hold reticle it might be hard to see the hash marks in low light conditions. I will hopefully be using the turret but in case of a quick shot I may need to focus on the hash marks. Any comments on this scope in general and on the Dead Hold reticle would be appreciated.

I have the 6.5-20 Viper PA with the Dead Hold. I never really looked at the dots because I always use the turrets. We have a late season rifle doe season here in Iowa and I have been really impressed with this scope shooting all the way out to 600 yards (hard to find open ground farther than that in Iowa).
Anyway, I'll take the scope outside at dusk tonight and take a look and hit you back.

Using a timberline of dark-brown to black trees at 800 yards (no color, no vegitation...just dark color trees) I felt comfortable seeing the dots at 20 minutes after sun down. At 25 minutes I was sure that I wasn't comfortable anymore. However, if you are hunting elk, the slightly lighter brown color of their hide would probably get you feeling pretty comfortable right up to 30 minutes after sun down. Up against the gray skyline I could see the dots just fine at 30 minutes after sun down. Real impressed with the Viper glass.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the assistance. It really helped. I was originally going to buy the 6x20-50 Viper PA
until I noticed the eye relief is 3 inches with the HS having a 4 inch relief. I am afraid the 3 inch on the PA might not be enough on my Weatherby 300 magnum. What caliber do you shoot with the PA scope?

If you like Butler Creek flip up scope covers, it's probably a good idea to go with the scope that has better eye relief. I have noticed that on 20x I have to snug in a little closer, yet without any scope covers, I have never once scoped myself. When I put the butler creek scope covers on, the red button (that releases the lid to flip open) would get me in the upper nose about 1 out of every 5 shots.
So what I did was get rid of the flip up scope covers and got a scope coat instead. When I am ready to shoot, I just pull off the coat and fire, and I have had no problems with the eye relief or with getting hit with the scope.
I shoot a 7 Rem Mag. So not as much kick as the 300 Win.

Thanks Troy for your review of this scope you touched on some of my questions i had on Vortex scopes as i ordered a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44 and i to wonder if i had made a good choice. I got this scope to put on my DPMS LR-308 24" BBL to shoot at steel plates out to 700 yrds at my local range. This set up may also get used for Elk this year or maybe next year. I really like alot of the features of these scopes and the price is one i can work with don't get me wrong i'd love to own a Nightforce or Sightron but there just way out of my price range. So its good to know that simular grade scopes can be had at 1/3 the price thanks again for your review.:)

Just stumbled on this discussion; thought I'd throw in my two cents. First of all; the SIII seris that many people are comparing to the Vortex is an $800.00 scope. Apples to oranges. I have a Viper and (for the price); it's a good scope. It's not my favorite, and I have some dislikes, but I'm not going to compare it to a more expensive scope. Just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.