Understanding The Winds Influence

DocUSMCRetired

Wind. Many times the devil in the details that causes a shooter frustration. It is often over or under estimated by the shooter, because of its fluidity. While methods of measuring wind have come a long ways, it is still up to the shooter to make the right call. This means not only understanding that wind is more like waves in the ocean with highs, lows, and everything in-between. But also understanding where the wind matters, and how geographical features can be deceiving in how they interact with the wind. This week, we will be sharing some insight in to how manage wind. If you are interested in a hands on class, with the all time most winning Coach Emil Praslick who currently holds the most team wins of any coach in US Military History with 18 National and 2 World Wins. Sign up for our next seminar! Where he will be teaching a class on understanding wind! Applied Ballistics Seminars - 2016 - Applied Ballistics, LLC

We will start this week off with where the wind matters. http://www.nvisti.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/NVDOC1403-Wind.pdf

Wind, and tools used to read wind, are subjects covered in the Applied Ballistics LLC Books.

Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting 3rd Edition Chapter 5. Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting Chapter 3 Wind Uncertainty. Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting Vol 1 Chapter 17 Wind Measurement (Including Optical and Doppler). None of these chapters are a repeat of the other, So this shows you how important it is to understand. This is just a small sampling as well, as it is covered in many more areas of other chapters. A single bad wind call can make or break a shot.

14192187_1177106745684540_6131614165816428154_n.jpg

14222132_1177106769017871_1548480655040075750_n.jpg

Wind was no problem for me, growing up in SE Texas ( The Big Thicket). But when I moved out West, 1990, it was a "demon", ha. In '93 I got to go on my first guided hunt, antelope/mule deer near Laramie, WY. I had a 280 AI, 150BT around 3000fps, zeroed +3 at 100yds. I missed the first four pronghorns I shot at! They were from 250 to 350yds off (eyeballed back then) it was on one of those "short grass" prairies. I had 3ft of drift on several, over and under on a couple. I could not see "any" indicators in that short grass! ha. Plus, that wind was blowing me and my Mountain rifle around too! I finally killed a great buck, first shot at 200 (running angling away, and the second (unneeded) was at 250. I stepped that one off! I was in Artillery Fire Direction Center in the Army, and I knew wind was a booger, but I had no metrological team radioing data to me, ha. I have since taken a lot of game, but mostly under 350 out on the prairies. I found out I could almost always hunt closer. I admire the guys who can do it, but I know I can't deal with wind at long distances. :) I am blessed in that I have never wounded an animal out there...my goodness, how would you catch up to them? :)

Wind was no problem for me, growing up in SE Texas ( The Big Thicket). But when I moved out West, 1990, it was a "demon", ha. In '93 I got to go on my first guided hunt, antelope/mule deer near Laramie, WY. I had a 280 AI, 150BT around 3000fps, zeroed +3 at 100yds. I missed the first four pronghorns I shot at! They were from 250 to 350yds off (eyeballed back then) it was on one of those "short grass" prairies. I had 3ft of drift on several, over and under on a couple. I could not see "any" indicators in that short grass! ha. Plus, that wind was blowing me and my Mountain rifle around too! I finally killed a great buck, first shot at 200 (running angling away, and the second (unneeded) was at 250. I stepped that one off! I was in Artillery Fire Direction Center in the Army, and I knew wind was a booger, but I had no metrological team radioing data to me, ha. I have since taken a lot of game, but mostly under 350 out on the prairies. I found out I could almost always hunt closer. I admire the guys who can do it, but I know I can't deal with wind at long distances. :) I am blessed in that I have never wounded an animal out there...my goodness, how would you catch up to them? :)

You learn more from every shot you miss, than from the ones you make.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts