Flailing winds!

ken snyder

Does anyone have a favored wind strategy for flailing winds in an area that is mostly Ravines ( Hills and Gullies ). I do pretty good target shooting by waiting for wind gusts to match but that strategy is pretty worthless with an animal that doesn't have the decency to stand still all day

Maybe other than bullets there wont be a satisfactory answer until Hunters are born with Doppler Radar eyes.

Ken, I have worked on this alot. All I can say is I have in no way come to feel I have whipped the wind. But I do however feel I am alot better at it than I use to be. I had a basic understanding before I attended the DE advanced course last summer. Shawn gave some very good pointers relating wind to water that got me on a better track to understanding what is going on. That and watching fog rise in the mornings up in the Idaho mountains was very useful to me. The light fog or morning haze is like painting wind currents. I sat in the mornings and watched what it did as it rose or traveled up a canyon.

Best advice in a nut shell is, think of it as water or even a flood. Where would the water flow fastest? What would it do when it hit that rise or revien? Then also look at the vegitaion and trees. A pine tree flapping it's limbs like it is trying to fly indicated a pretty strong up lift that will lift the bullet. Use that along with your water thoughts to put it all together.

Then, most importantly go out and shoot in it. But first take a few notes of how you came to the shooting solution before the shot. Then afterwords compare what the real effect was on the bullet and try to understand why. Sitting there and looking at what is going on and the results are the key to knowing more for the next shot.

All this has helped me be better with first round cold bore hits. I hope it helps you.

OH, and +1 on the big heavy bullets like the 300 OTM's. The less the wind effects your bullet, the smaller the errors in a wind call will be.

Jeff

So far there has been very good points of considerations and facts. Maybe some of the guys don't know what we are talking about. ( Google "Karman Vortex Street"). A super big challenge for me that definitely limits my yardages for Hunting. Shooting cross ravine the bullet can be over 200 Ft. above the ground at mid trajectory and the wind changes in the box ends, loads up differently with every gust or calm. Sometimes it can actually eat my lunch. Still fun but worth cussing!

Shooting cross ravine the bullet can be over 200 Ft. above the ground at mid trajectory and the wind changes in the box ends, loads up differently with every gust or calm. !

Oh yes. And for some help here I thank the good lord for tall pines so I can look at their very tops.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts