Ultralight Sleeping pads for elk

Longshotjames

I am considering upping my comfort level from my current THerma-rest original sel;f inflate pad. Its "warm enough" but I wouldn't be mad at more insulation. Its a R3.
Does anyone have a good option for maybe an inflatable insulated pad that is reliable. I know Im asking for a lot. Any suggestions?
James

I don't think you really need to put an elk on a sleeping pad…

Seriously though, I have the Sea to Summit pads, a couple of them, they're okay. Sea to Summit actually had to replace my UL version. My STS Comfort has been pretty good, granted I'm usually pretty nice to my stuff, as nice as I can be anyway. I really want to try the Exped line at some point. Since I've been really happy with my STS I've also wanted to try their Ether Light. I think at some point it comes down to when you're hunting and your shelter type. Early-mid September you could probably get by with a lighter, less insulated pad, but rifle seasons might typically need a higher rated pad. I've tried the UL Big Agnes pad and while it's light, I'm not a huge fan, it's easy to roll off of and it didn't seem very warm. I've also heard really good things about the Therma-Rest inflatable pads.

A Thermarest Pad AND, a Big Agnes, Air Mattress for Me when, Colder !
I cut, a Moose Quarter Sack down, to a third of it's size ( an 18" Band ) and used, the Thermarest on top, held together by,.. the Moose sack.
Worked,.. great !

I use the nemo tensor insulated. I have a few, the second gen has a R value of 3.5.
The extreme conditions model is like 8. The weight is comparable, but I really don't like that much heat unless it's in the negatives. I do however like the wide pad size.

It also comes with a pump sack to inflate, so you're not blowing bacteria into your sleeping pad.

Last edited:
If you are trying to save weight, Thermarest is still the way to go. I have had their Xtherm since 2015 and its has never failed me. Weight and comfort/ease of inflation are sort of a trade offs with pads. My Xtherm rolls down to nothing, but takes a fair bit of blowing up which isn't the most fun at the end of a long day of hiking/hunting. If you want more comfort, brands like Sea to Summit and Exped add a foam layer into the pad which makes them more luxurious but also much heavier and bulkier to pack. I am sure other brands have great offering, but I honestly haven't needed to shop much since buying the one I have. Browsing through their website just now I did see this which seems to be a compromise between comfort, weight, and easier inflation.

https://www.thermarest.com/sleeping...-topo-luxe-sleeping-pad/neoair-topo-luxe.html

I've done one night bivys, with just a thin 3/8" blue pad. If it isn't very cold, I use a short one and put my pack under my feet. It helps if you can be in the pine duff.

Now that I'm old, I like a little more comfort. I put a Neo Air blow up mattress on top of a blue pad. I have an 8 oz. bivy bag that holds everything together (and clean) and keeps me from rolling off.The bivy is as light as a ground cloth, and works much better. I use a 13 oz.
DSCF4692.JPG
tarp tent with the back end closed. The bivy is as light as a ground cloth, and works much better.

I use the nemo tensor insulated. I have a few, the second gen has a R value of 3.5.
The extreme conditions model is like 8. The weight is comparable, but I really don't like that much heat unless it's in the negatives. I do however like the wide pad size.

It also comes with a pump sack to inflate, so you're not blowing bacteria into your sleeping pad.

This👆

I have the Tensor insulated Long Wide. I am going to try the new second gen this year. WAY better than my thermarest which I'll never go back to. Packs much smaller too. The "insulation" is a foil reflective layer that is ever so slightly "crinkly" when you move but nothing that isn't worth the extra insulation value.

I don't recall the brand, and amazingly, it isn't marked on the bag. Just google ultralight bivy and you'll find some. Mine has a bug net, which is worth it's weight in gold on a summer trip.

Seems like as I've gotten older a little bit of comfort and warmth go a long ways. I've been using the Exped line. Don't remember exactly which one it is, it isn't ultralight weights between 1 1/2-2 lbs. But boy is it warm and comfortable. Good luck with your search.

My tensor popped loose and created a speed bump effect that had to try to sleep on. They were good to replace it but I no longer trusted it. Cool days I pack an exped ultra and just plain cold days I use a heavier Klymit insulated luxe v. Fwiw I'm a big guy.

I have and use a Neoair......works great and don't take up hardly any room......I slept like a baby in the Colorado rockies and the Alaskan brooks range.....don't leave home without it!

Recent Posts